Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7539 7540 [7541] 7542 7543 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9531260 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #113100 on: May 14, 2018, 04:19:47 pm »

I think I have an irrational fear of calling/talking to people on the phone. I keep needing to make calls to people since I'm preparing to move and need to set up stuff, but the whole idea of calling them gets me anxious, and I keep procrastinating on each call. Answering the phone was also something I was terrible at in past jobs.

It's a basic human function but fuck me, who needs to be a functioning human right. ha ha kill me
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #113101 on: May 14, 2018, 04:53:24 pm »

The dutch word for 'match' is lucifer. Which makes sense from it's latin root meaning 'carrier/bringer of light'

This is a "Kleenex" or "Aspirin" situation. "Lucifer" was the brand name for the first commercially viable self-igniting match and the brand name became the generic one for a long time in English. This  seems to be permanent in Dutch.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #113102 on: May 14, 2018, 05:02:28 pm »

Sister Mary! How did you light all those candles? So quickly, too!

I used the power of Lucifer, Father.

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113103 on: May 14, 2018, 05:17:19 pm »

The dutch word for 'match' is lucifer. Which makes sense from it's latin root meaning 'carrier/bringer of light'

This is a "Kleenex" or "Aspirin" situation. "Lucifer" was the brand name for the first commercially viable self-igniting match and the brand name became the generic one for a long time in English. This  seems to be permanent in Dutch.

My Norwegian grandparents seem to think that Kikkoman is just the word for soy sauce. Considering what an awful example of soy sauce Kikkoman tends to be, we've tried to correct them a few times on their usage of the word.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #113104 on: May 14, 2018, 05:39:29 pm »

I think I have an irrational fear of calling/talking to people on the phone. I keep needing to make calls to people since I'm preparing to move and need to set up stuff, but the whole idea of calling them gets me anxious, and I keep procrastinating on each call. Answering the phone was also something I was terrible at in past jobs.

It's a basic human function but fuck me, who needs to be a functioning human right. ha ha kill me

You’d be surprised how many people don’t like to use the phone. It is common enough that researchers have advised businesses on how to get around using them, ‘cause older folks like to use them to communicate ideas, while younger folk prefer emails or face-to-face meetings.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #113105 on: May 15, 2018, 04:45:02 am »

I hate phones. I think I've got it down to it being about how I can't see the person I'm talking with. I'm not sure.
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113106 on: May 15, 2018, 04:51:25 am »

It's absurdly stressful to talk to someone, but their voice is distorted and you can't see their face or even know where they are and you have to hold this piece of shit plastic thing up to your face or the other person won't be able to hear you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113107 on: May 15, 2018, 04:53:49 am »

And the side of the face you're holding the phone on gets super hot and flushed, especially if it's a mobile phone
Love, scriver~

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #113108 on: May 15, 2018, 10:04:10 am »

I find telephone calls to be terrible in general, being a miracle if it works, let alone being able to hold a conversation for more than four words without getting cut or horribly distorted.

Phone calls are for emergency purposes only, if you have something important send a text message or email, if you want to talk use skype or other internet solution.
In a time before time, I had a name.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113109 on: May 15, 2018, 10:08:19 am »

Which country has such abysmal phone connections?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #113110 on: May 15, 2018, 10:35:37 am »

I have only been around the South of Brazil and Argentina, but haven't heard better reports from anywhere else.

A good call is usually cause for surprise.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113111 on: May 15, 2018, 10:38:04 am »

I mean, the entire USA isn't 100% perfectly covered by cell towers :P
It depends on population density I think, since even poor adults usually have flip phones at least.  Interstates and cities have great coverage, rural mountainous areas are spottiest as the peaks block the relatively-few towers.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113112 on: May 15, 2018, 10:43:10 am »

Fun fact: Sweden has started pulling out their landlines in the rural regions, because who uses landlines these days am I right? Other than backwards hillbilly people, elders, and people who live in rural areas without cell phone coverage... You know, those regions where they're pulling the landlines out of the ground.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113113 on: May 15, 2018, 02:40:14 pm »

There is a novelty burgerphone for sale at work, which is reason enough to keep landline connections. Also I still dislike making phone calls, but I have somehow gotten into the habit in recent years... also having hearing aids makes it a bit less stressful, I guess.
Still awful when you have to talk to someone you don't know very well, ugggghh. I always talk over them, then stop and there's this mess of awkward silences and aborted sentences... why did my keyboard try to put an umlaut in aborted? Sounds like part of a band name, but with no capital letter? This post almost ought to be in the wtf thread. I mean, wtf.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #113114 on: May 15, 2018, 03:52:56 pm »

I have only been around the South of Brazil and Argentina, but haven't heard better reports from anywhere else.

A good call is usually cause for surprise.
Allow me to surprise you: unless I go to very specific places, it's pretty easy to get a good call. Sounds like you live in a rural area near the frontier, in which case... yeah I have no doubt reception is absolute dogshit. Just, don't generalize when talking about a continent-sized territory.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 7539 7540 [7541] 7542 7543 ... 8169