Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7132 7133 [7134] 7135 7136 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9462846 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #106995 on: August 24, 2016, 05:40:12 pm »

My phone's screen protector has consistently developed two cracks at opposing corners each time I've put one on.

Now back to your regularly scheduled sadhelp.

@chaotic skies:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@RedKing:Consult your warranty.  Also, was it the phone, or the screen protector?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106996 on: August 24, 2016, 06:21:29 pm »

Being an American Adult sure is fun

You get to spend 24/7 at your job until you finally fucking die.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106997 on: August 24, 2016, 06:26:20 pm »

[internal screaming in fear intensifies]
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106998 on: August 24, 2016, 06:31:00 pm »

Anyone for moving to a moonbase or some other way to live?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106999 on: August 24, 2016, 06:33:18 pm »

Wow, you don't see many time-traveling slaves on the Internet.

Anyone for moving to a moonbase or some other way to live?
Sure!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107000 on: August 24, 2016, 06:35:19 pm »

Where is that from?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107001 on: August 24, 2016, 06:42:15 pm »

Where is that from?

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107002 on: August 24, 2016, 06:52:09 pm »

I cannot for the life of find a genuine pair of a certain type of earbuds.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107003 on: August 24, 2016, 07:01:48 pm »

Where is that from?

Ah, I thought it was a meme of some kind. (serious)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #107004 on: August 24, 2016, 07:24:53 pm »

Caroline, you are not alone.

Nobody else knows who they are either.

Everyone else is scared too, even and especially if they don't show it.

Everyone's scarred by their parents in some way, that's what being a child growing up is.

I can personally sympathise with the pretence of intelligence, and how much it can bother me when don't think it's justified.  It's okay.  It's the bane of a lot of people.

All the things swirling around in your head, all the difficulty that comes with dealing with people and life, you are so, so very far from alone in that.

I really hope you feel better, just by expressing all this. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107005 on: August 24, 2016, 07:43:48 pm »

Caroline...You're you.  Always and forever yourself.

*hugs*

I honestly don't know how to say what I want to tell you.  But I know some of those feelings too.  Fear of failure.  Inability to actually talk to people.  Being...Well, alone.

You're not alone.  If I can help in any way at all let me know.  Please.
Sigtext

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107006 on: August 24, 2016, 08:09:43 pm »

Still more delays in getting this volatile situation sorted out.
Each party involved seems to fully expect me to side with them, despite me having no idea who's telling the truth... or who's lying more, at least. Both sides of the dispute are doubtless trying to mind-game me into siding with them. Hopefully I can persuade them to reconcile, or at least compromise for the good of us all.

Otherwise it seems like I'll have to opt for a "scorched earth" kind of solution and kick them all out. And hope none of them decide to do any ultra-violence on me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107007 on: August 24, 2016, 08:21:09 pm »

There's a viewpoint that the sheer number of choices that we are required to make has lead to "analysis paralysis". Basically, some choice is good, but after a certain point the sheer weight of choices just causes meltdown, leading to disengagement or depression.

with e.g. 6 choices you can comfortably feel like you chose well, and if none of the choices were that great: it's not your fault, because those were the only ones available. But when "choice" expands to hundreds of choices, you can't process that amount of information, and if you chose bad, then it is your fault, leading to feelings of guilt, because there was always the possibility of one of the other hundreds of choices being way better. When there are too many choices, the perceived negatives of the one you did choose become much more pronounced. This extends to all areas of life. Over-choice actually decreases happiness. Lab certified fact.

But in the current situation we're being asked to make choices from a much more vast tableau of choices, and about things that are much more central to who we are - "you can be who you want to be" is a catchy slogan, but could be a double-edged sword. It could be read as "your family and society is going to abrogate it's responsibility for helping you sort out why we put you on this planet, you're on your own sucker. Not our fault (except that it is since we put you here without a choice)".

So we can "be whoever we want to be". On top of all the choices we're forced to make (much more than previous generations, who had life basically mapped out for them, including getting married, jobs for life), we can't even be sure of who we are. In terms of choice theory, and how people become much more depressed when there are lots of choices (even when the quality of the choices goes up as a result), things like tumblr micro-genders could actually be more constraining than just having some broad-strokes gender definitions and sexual orientations.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:40:52 pm by Reelya »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107008 on: August 24, 2016, 08:34:27 pm »

Analysis paralysis.  I like that term.  It fits.  Maybe a little bit of advice for you, Caroline, on how to figure out who you are, is to make a list of maybe ten to fifteen (non-gender, that is a different thing) words you'd use to describe others and then see how you fit in to those words.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:43:10 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107009 on: August 24, 2016, 08:44:08 pm »

There's a viewpoint that the sheer number of choices that we are required to make has lead to "analysis paralysis". Basically, some choice is good, but after a certain point the sheer weight of choices just causes meltdown, leading to disengagement or depression.

with e.g. 6 choices you can comfortably feel like you chose well, and if none of the choices were that great: it's not your fault, because those were the only ones available. But when "choice" expands to hundreds of choices, you can't process that amount of information, and if you chose bad, then it is your fault, leading to feelings of guilt, because there was always the possibility of one of the other hundreds of choices being way better. When there are too many choices, the perceived negatives of the one you did choose become much more pronounced. This extends to all areas of life. Over-choice actually decreases happiness. Lab certified fact.

But in the current situation we're being asked to make choices from a much more vast tableau of choices, and about things that are much more central to who we are - "you can be who you want to be" is a catchy slogan, could be a double-edged sword. It could be read as "your family society is going to abrogate it's responsibility for helping you sort out why we put you on this planet, you're on your own sucker. Not our fault (except that it is since we put you here without a choice)".

So we can "be whoever we want to be". On top of all the choices we're forced to make (much more than previous generations, who had life basically mapped out for them, including getting married, jobs for life), we can't even be sure of who we are. In terms of choice theory, and how people become much more depressed when there are lots of choices (even when the quality of the choices goes up as a result), things like tumblr micro-genders could actually be more constraining than just having some broad-strokes gender definitions and sexual orientations.

I don't want to dig up the posts, but somewhere in my long history of depressive introspection, I independently deduced that the ever expanding number of choices in my life was hampering me in a very real way. One of my crazier solutions involved writing down everything I think I could ever possibly do, assign number values to each of them, and then roll a number of dice to decide what to do for every single possible usage of time, that way I could be divorced from weight of guilt, the guilt both from deciding incorrectly and the guilt of choosing to not choose, as well actually get some stuff done. It didn't work out, if only because I was still in a depressed slump in my life and I didn't have the discipline to stick with it, but also because divorcing myself from the possibility of guilt in a very real way also divorced myself from the satisfaction of choosing and doing things of my own volition and agency, which sabotaged it from the start. I felt like then I only had two choices: be a depressed loser of my own choice, or be a motivated automaton that never thinks for himself; and that choice was too heavy for me to make or assign to chance, so I defaulted back to depressed loser.
Pages: 1 ... 7132 7133 [7134] 7135 7136 ... 8167