Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6935 6936 [6937] 6938 6939 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446505 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #104040 on: April 07, 2016, 07:31:26 am »

The housemate I used to always complain about is back to his old tricks.
For a while after he got back from overseas he was actually being fairly tolerable- keeping mostly to himself, in his room studying or whatever and being pleasant enough whenever he ventured into the rest of the house. But tonight he's once again lurking around in the kitchen, talking loudly (that's the worst thing about this asshole, his stupidly loud voice and how much he likes to use it) to whoever's in there.

He just paces back and forth, blathering on, endlessly giving his opinions on whatever topic as though everyone is hanging off his every word. He has these irritating verbal tics that make it all the more unbearable, too. Drove me out of the loungeroom, where I was until then happily playing Nuclear Throne. At least these days I have a nice pair of earmuffs, but still.
I need to get some better earphones to fit under them, then I will hopefully be able to cling to sanity.

Right now, I think I might go to the shops and buy some junk food. Comfort eating ahoy. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #104041 on: April 07, 2016, 07:36:49 am »

Right now, I think I might go to the shops and buy some junk food. Comfort eating ahoy.
Hi! I'm the ghost of fat future.
You'll get faaaat

You'll get faaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104042 on: April 07, 2016, 07:38:19 am »

I dunno, I'd have to eat a helluva lot of crisps for that to happen. And my self-loathing should kick in before long and stop me from eating anything...

Besides, that spooky encounter just scared a few kilos off my love handles anyway. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #104043 on: April 07, 2016, 08:17:43 am »

I dunno, I'd have to eat a helluva lot of crisps for that to happen. And my self-loathing should kick in before long and stop me from eating anything...
:< Hope you're going to be ok, dude.

It seems delays (on part of our participant scheduling but also on my group's organization x_x) may hinder our final defense in our undergrad thesis...which most likely means doing it in the next sem, probably. Likely. Also one of our groupmates has academic time constraints due to her work schedule, so that complicates things. .-.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #104044 on: April 07, 2016, 09:16:43 am »

Blizzard finally dropped the hammer on Nostalrius.  It'll be going down for the count on April 10.
Shoes...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #104045 on: April 07, 2016, 09:45:56 am »

I am just so fucking tired.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #104046 on: April 07, 2016, 10:04:26 am »

Lol no, by then your loathment will just cause you to eat more, spiralling you further down the mealstorm.
Love, scriver~

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104047 on: April 07, 2016, 02:18:45 pm »

Our glorius leader created national guard obeying only to him, why does he even need more personal army, if the whole army is already his personal toy?

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #104048 on: April 07, 2016, 02:32:36 pm »

The housemate I used to always complain about is back to his old tricks.
For a while after he got back from overseas he was actually being fairly tolerable- keeping mostly to himself, in his room studying or whatever and being pleasant enough whenever he ventured into the rest of the house. But tonight he's once again lurking around in the kitchen, talking loudly (that's the worst thing about this asshole, his stupidly loud voice and how much he likes to use it) to whoever's in there.

He just paces back and forth, blathering on, endlessly giving his opinions on whatever topic as though everyone is hanging off his every word. He has these irritating verbal tics that make it all the more unbearable, too. Drove me out of the loungeroom, where I was until then happily playing Nuclear Throne. At least these days I have a nice pair of earmuffs, but still.
I need to get some better earphones to fit under them, then I will hopefully be able to cling to sanity.

Right now, I think I might go to the shops and buy some junk food. Comfort eating ahoy. :-\
I actually find this quite insulting as someone who talks a lot and has a loud voice. He probably isn't trying to annoy you, maybe you could try telling him that you need some time alone occasionally?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #104049 on: April 07, 2016, 04:40:13 pm »

Why don't I find value in myself? I feel utterly unworthy. All of my accomplishments (all less-than-ten of them) are really trivial dumb things that anybody can do. I stumbled ass-first into any genuine successes. If I'm going to do anything more with this life, I'm not sure how I'm going to accomplish it when I'm an unskilled jackass with extremely minor talent in fucking about and wasting hours of my life. I should just go fully the other direction, buy a dakimakura, grow my neckbeard out and start collecting fedoras. I already have the paunch and random anime trivia to go with being a shameless manchild.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104050 on: April 07, 2016, 04:44:20 pm »

*applies hugpats*

You are worthy.  Just keep working at it.

And you still did the things.  Be proud that you can do things.  Not everyone would have.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #104051 on: April 07, 2016, 07:53:15 pm »

* Cinder hugs everyone

Why don't I find value in myself? I feel utterly unworthy. All of my accomplishments (all less-than-ten of them) are really trivial dumb things that anybody can do. I stumbled ass-first into any genuine successes. If I'm going to do anything more with this life, I'm not sure how I'm going to accomplish it when I'm an unskilled jackass with extremely minor talent in fucking about and wasting hours of my life. I should just go fully the other direction, buy a dakimakura, grow my neckbeard out and start collecting fedoras. I already have the paunch and random anime trivia to go with being a shameless manchild.
Relax, we're all just insignificant specks that has no bearing whatsoever on the ultimate fate of the cosmos.

No, seriously. Enjoy yourself. Do things you like. Learn new things. Do your duty. Don't worry about accomplishments because the fact thst you aren't a hobo without internet means that you did things right so far. Don't force greatness. Your greatness will come when you are ready. Acco plishments are arbitrary and meaningless, anyways, but they are important.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:57:50 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #104052 on: April 07, 2016, 08:23:58 pm »

In light of one particularly depressing discussion with Arx, I must ask the question - why give value to consciousness?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104053 on: April 07, 2016, 08:39:13 pm »

For me, in the most abstract sense, consciousness is valuable because conscious matter can shape other matter in a way that increases complexity toward an intentional end. Conscious life are the Neurons of the universe; the root of meaning itself, and the only way for meaning to exist at all. It's a thing the universe happened to develop that allows it to know itself, and mold itself, and so on.

Consciousness is the same as any other universal force that shapes reality, but it's the only thing that isn't rooted in simple physical  interactions (at least effectively) and direct cause-and-effect relationships. Consciousness can allow the universe to adapt itself to ease conscious suffering, promote order and stability and complexity, and so on. Or other desired ends that extend beyond those of immediate emotions experienced by individuals, and toward other forms of rising complexity that I (as a conscious thing) don't really grok.

TL;DR - Pardon the melodrama, but Conscious Matter, or in our case Self-Aware Life, are uniquely empowered to become protectors and creators and healers, champions who create and maintain little pockets of order and complexity in a cosmos seemingly trending toward entropy and destruction. However temporary those pockets may last, they're valuable if just for the sake of their uniqueness. Rarity of particularly organized matter like Life, or a Planet that has Sunsets and rain, or whatever else, is a kind of value in itself, yeah?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:50:26 pm by Solifuge »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #104054 on: April 07, 2016, 08:48:53 pm »

So consciousness has meaning because it solves problems which enable consciousness to exist?

As for arguing that it brings order, I think you'd find it brings at least as much chaos as well. Besides which, order is just a term you force on something. There is to be, nothing else - chaos or order doesn't matter.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6935 6936 [6937] 6938 6939 ... 8167