Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6932 6933 [6934] 6935 6936 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443814 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #103995 on: April 06, 2016, 07:25:14 pm »

In my opinion, the primary issue is that there's quite a fair number of people--not naming any names--who can't have a calm discussion and are either convinced that they're in some kind of holy battle over the fate of the universe or think that the best way to convince somebody you're right is to be a condescending asshole (mostly the latter.) Which is par for the course for the internet, really.

The primary difference as far as I've seen is that we occasionally manage to have a civilized argument because the confrontational people either don't care or aren't logged on at the time of the argument. We manage to avoid having weekly bans (instead having roughly monthly ones) through careful moderation of megathreads.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:27:12 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103996 on: April 06, 2016, 07:33:48 pm »

It really isn't an echo chamber though. The "average" user in General Discussion might be an American liberal atheist college student, but there are enough people who buck the trend in each area for there to be an actual discussion. This is an echo chamber. Bay12 is just slanted.

Edit: Wrong link.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:36:10 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103997 on: April 06, 2016, 07:49:13 pm »

American liberal atheist college student
I am none of those things

I feel proud
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #103998 on: April 06, 2016, 07:51:04 pm »

American liberal atheist college student
I am none of those things

I feel proud
Weren't you a geographer? I distinctly remember you claiming you were a liberal atheist college geographer. Which is the same thing when you go down to the fundamentals.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103999 on: April 06, 2016, 08:15:07 pm »

This is an echo chamber. Bay12 is just slanted.

But no. It was an earnestly-written story. On a site that fancies itself news for Constitutional Originalist gun-porkers.

It honestly pains me that I have several immediate family members who idolize these guys.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:26:47 pm by Solifuge »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #104000 on: April 06, 2016, 08:25:31 pm »

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:29:54 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #104001 on: April 06, 2016, 08:34:28 pm »

Cinder, seems like is very different from what is. Please voice out your ideas in a way that doesn't give an impact of 'this is how things really are' and give way to open discussion.
I've written a long post but it got eaten. The gist is, Bay12 isn't really that much of an open-minded discussion space. People get angry when they see opinions that oppose theirs. Even you get angry when people disagree with you.
This is not holistic. :-\ Even in the gist of it. Beware of when conclusions are drawn from memory and perception alone. And beware further of how you write your conclusion about them, especially if they're very, very generalizing. :-\ It may irk many people because it wouldn't really be applicable.

Mentioned on IRC that people shouldn't say shit about how all republicans are racist or whatever, promptly got pounced on by a good 5 people giving me shit for what I said and arguing with me and accusing me of GOP apologism and accusing me of being racist because I tried to say that being against illegal immigration was not racist.

It seems like[...]
I'm strapped on time here but I'd like to forward my opinion: Seems like is a very powerful factor in influencing impressions, especially if it's taken as the primary story (it may seem that way due to the first thoughts that come to one in perception), but whenever the statement of seems like comes up, a bit of reflection on the case is also a very good thing to add before conclusions are written and posted out :O
Especially talking with the people in question that may have aggravated or 'seems to have' caused such feelings.

From all my years here, B12 is very open minded in discussion, even if people are heated and tense--they are able to diffuse and give way, but only if both parties are open to it (It doesn't do well if people leave in a huff; this goes with how one communicates).

Either way if you leave or not--you're always welcome back; you're a cool dude IT, but there are times wherein perception influences how one may interact. I've noticed that sometimes, you stick with a general idea of being disliked due to how you word your ideas; I believe it's best if you talked this over with the certain people you may think you've got problems with :O (also nobody thinks you're an ignorant retard; ask them what they think rather than put belief onto the doubts that come to you in thoughts; therein comes the cognitive process of accommodation: one's experiences are translated into how one understands them, at times, and sometimes these may not help if we begin making ideas that have a reaaaaaaally negative meaning when that's not really the case). But either way, there's no 'better than you deserve' here. Maybe it's a slice of reality--you have good friends, you can PM them, if there may not be easily accessible folk in your locality.
I have no idea what happened, but you do not and have never looked like an asshole in my interactions with you and I hope that 5 people won't sour you on the entire forum.
And besides that I also still want to be somewhere where people acknowledge that it's at the very least partially my fault instead of telling me that that isn't true. If it wasn't true it wouldn't cause so many problems.
Maybe they're mentioning it isn't true, but if they do mention that--that doesn't mean they're challenging or doing anything against you; they're giving an idea about the statement given, it may just so happen that the statement was typed by you.
Also that first sentence there, big strength. Maybe mention that the next time you see these folks because people can't mindread what you most prefer. :)

Sometimes, frustration comes from silent expectations wherein communication can be a better solution. It may be hard, it may be pretty nerve-wracking, but you'll never know until you talk with these folks. You can do it! :D

-snip-
-snoop-
Weren't you a geographer? I distinctly remember you claiming you were a liberal atheist college geographer. Which is the same thing when you go down to the fundamentals.
Love these silly bits. :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104002 on: April 06, 2016, 08:38:10 pm »

From all my years here, B12 is very open minded in discussion...
Uh, it's really not.
Maybe if your views are already just a cat's whisker away from the forum's generally-accepted ones, but otherwise, no.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104003 on: April 06, 2016, 08:40:25 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:48:48 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104004 on: April 06, 2016, 08:41:02 pm »

Uh, it's really not.
Maybe if your views are already just a cat's whisker away from the forum's generally-accepted ones, but otherwise, no.

I dunno. I tend to get heated responses to my views on abortion and gay marriage (and give heated responses back, I do admit...), but that's honestly to be expected no matter what your opinion on those things is or where you share them. Besides those edge cases though, things may get heated, but they almost never get personal, and that's the dividing line for an environment that stifles discussion IMO.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:46:54 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #104005 on: April 06, 2016, 08:49:00 pm »

This is an echo chamber. Bay12 is just slanted.

But no. It was an earnestly-written story. On a site that fancies itself news for Constitutional Originalist gun-porkers.

It honestly pains me that I have several immediate family members who idolize these guys.
Remember: Yog Sothoth is the Key AND the Gate!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #104006 on: April 06, 2016, 08:49:51 pm »

What are your views on Gay Marriage and abortion?

PM me if you think it likely to be confrontational. I'm just interested to see if they align with mine.

Also, my purpose for coming here - Merle Haggard died today (well, yesterday - it's past midnight) and one of his songs came up on a random you tube list talking about singing the last song before the end. ):

Edit: May as well link the song. Here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDDyyDjWM_0&index=22
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104007 on: April 06, 2016, 08:52:26 pm »

Euthanasia. Fite me bro. (_/šnš)_/

Actually, don't. I've read enough opinions on that for a lifetime.

Edit: Clarifying that I was asking for an argument about euthanasia, not that euthanasia is my view on gays and abortions.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:52:34 pm by BlackFlyme »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104008 on: April 06, 2016, 08:55:49 pm »

Uh, it's really not.
Really?

Huh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #104009 on: April 06, 2016, 09:00:51 pm »

Yoink is being somewhat pessimistic.

However, I do recall one occasion back when I was new to GD when I mentioned something about gay marriage and it seemed half the forum leaped down my throat, essentially saying that I was being a stupid Christian. Yoink had a pooping dog - I remember, because I thought it weird that a pooping dog was helping me.

Anyway. As anyone who has looked in the Religion thread knows, I was not being a stupid Christian.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6932 6933 [6934] 6935 6936 ... 8167