Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6729 6730 [6731] 6732 6733 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9439303 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #100950 on: January 19, 2016, 04:20:16 pm »

@KoSS:DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
FUUUUUUUUCK.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #100951 on: January 19, 2016, 04:21:28 pm »

Four pages of essay on Hannibal of Carthage.

Due tomorrow.
fuck
I suggest you play Civilization read Wikipedia.

Has, like, any of the information you might need. Just paraphrase it and only use information followed by the little blue links so you can use them as citations.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100952 on: January 19, 2016, 04:22:12 pm »

i already did but FOUR PAGES OF SOLID ROCK HARD ESSAY IS HARD TO WRITE
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #100953 on: January 19, 2016, 04:50:09 pm »

Be wordy. Restate things that have already been said (but don't make it obvious.) Add things like "it can be concluded that" or "as this shows" whenever you're adding original content and drawing conclusions. After you're done, go through and replace particularly short adjectives with longer ones (e.g. "briefly elaborates on" instead of "talks about"; "of particular note" instead of "notably".) Use long forms whenever possible (e.g. "United States of America" instead of "U.S." or "America"; "Carthaginian Empire" instead of "Carthage".) In general, make Edgar Allen Poe jealous of your prose.

Break paragraphs whenever possible. Don't, like, write five sentences, then do a random line break; wait until you've gotten to a minor topic change and add a new paragraph. (For example: when I write biographical essays, I split the "early life" section most people I know do into "childhood" and "adolescence" paragraphs.)

If you're not already required to do in-text citations, do them anyway. Add quotes from your sources and cite them afterward every now and then (if you have more quotes than paragraphs you're doing it wrong.)

You probably know half this stuff already but I figured basic advice couldn't hurt. :v
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #100954 on: January 19, 2016, 05:22:45 pm »

-snip-
Iunno, maybe stop trying to get with all of them. The right person in the right situation is not something that comes along too often...

(Also could you please start using caps again? LW is bad enough on his own.)
I'm not trying to get with all of them, though :x

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #100955 on: January 19, 2016, 05:34:03 pm »

-snip-
Iunno, maybe stop trying to get with all of them. The right person in the right situation is not something that comes along too often...

I think Helgo's point is that your spaghetti's vector in relation to your pants won't be that big of an issue with the right person in the right situation.

I wish that I could help, since I know the feels... but anything I did towards wound up backfiring at me spectacularly.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100956 on: January 19, 2016, 05:40:04 pm »

-snip-

Amateur.

Miauw's Harem Antic Waifus would be comedy gold. GOLD.

In all seriousness though, the fact that you're not should make it easier to talk to them because you're not worrying about your impact on your bangability score. So just talk to them as people. Start with the ones you're definitely not interested in. Think of them as the tutorial level for GIRL WAT DO: The Game.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:42:03 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #100957 on: January 19, 2016, 06:48:06 pm »

-snip-

I think Helgo's point is that your spaghetti's vector in relation to your pants won't be that big of an issue with the right person in the right situation.

I wish that I could help, since I know the feels... but anything I did towards wound up backfiring at me spectacularly.
Not doing anything never works out, though, since nobody is attracted to me.

-snip-

Amateur.

Miauw's Harem Antic Waifus would be comedy gold. GOLD.

In all seriousness though, the fact that you're not should make it easier to talk to them because you're not worrying about your impact on your bangability score. So just talk to them as people. Start with the ones you're definitely not interested in. Think of them as the tutorial level for GIRL WAT DO: The Game.
That's sort of like the problem, I never really have a chance to talk to girls and idk what to do. I want to do things and get better but I can't and idk what to work on or do

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #100958 on: January 19, 2016, 06:52:27 pm »

do you ever have the chance to talk to people? talk to them as though they were boys, whose interests you do not know

girls are not particularly special
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #100959 on: January 19, 2016, 07:03:31 pm »

do you ever have the chance to talk to people? talk to them as though they were boys, whose interests you do not know

girls are not particularly special
Basically this. They're still humans after all, they just have like 4 or 5ish different parts.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100960 on: January 19, 2016, 07:10:20 pm »

talk to them as though they were boys, whose interests you do not know
Hahahaaa. Oh wait you're serious? HAAAAHAHAHA.
For real don't do that. Male and female social interactions are not at all the same.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100961 on: January 19, 2016, 07:29:48 pm »

Talk to people like they're people. With respect and only if they're not a complete asshole. Interactions with literally everyone are different, male or female.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100962 on: January 19, 2016, 07:45:55 pm »

talk to them as though they were boys, whose interests you do not know
Hahahaaa. Oh wait you're serious? HAAAAHAHAHA.
For real don't do that. Male and female social interactions are not at all the same.
In my experience they aren't radically different. The interests vary (probably both due to the different brain structure/activity AND the whole 'stuff society expects men and women to like is different' part), but otherwise it's not all that different to talking to a guy.

I dunno, I think I've definitely fallen afoul of this. It seems like girls (and guys I guess but I wouldn't know anything about that) expect people who're romantically interested to behave a certain way, and if you don't send those signals within a certain window that's pretty much it. I'm still fairly good friends with people I've done this with, but even if they did to start (which I highly doubt) they certainly don't see me that way anymore.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100963 on: January 19, 2016, 08:25:23 pm »

In my experience they aren't radically different. The interests vary (probably both due to the different brain structure/activity AND the whole 'stuff society expects men and women to like is different' part), but otherwise it's not all that different to talking to a guy.
I was thinking about general behaviour actually, rather than specific interests. Like males tend to take good-natured ribbings a lot better. Less likely to get offended by stuff too.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #100964 on: January 19, 2016, 08:29:32 pm »

I was thinking about general behaviour actually, rather than specific interests. Like males tend to take good-natured ribbings a lot better. Less likely to get offended by stuff too.
Varies on the individual - I know a few girls that talk more shit than 5 average males and don't really get offended by things.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 6729 6730 [6731] 6732 6733 ... 8167