Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6626 6627 [6628] 6629 6630 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435723 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #99405 on: December 02, 2015, 06:06:32 pm »

Does not an excuse to skip work make.
It might do, if your boss is a DF player.
If he were, you wouldn't need an excuse. He wouldn't notice.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99406 on: December 02, 2015, 06:07:12 pm »

You could tell him that you're practicing management techniques with employees that are... less than cooperative. Or competent. Or sober.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #99407 on: December 02, 2015, 06:15:46 pm »

You could tell him that you're practicing management techniques with employees that are... less than cooperative. Or competent. Or sober.
That'd just end up with him telling you that Chad is not technically your subordinate, though he appreciates the effort.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99408 on: December 02, 2015, 07:03:58 pm »

Re: Not wanting to live forever

Eh, I believe I could handle it.
Firstly, it'd really take a lot of the pressure off to do something with my life.
Secondly, my memory is absolute trash. Which is bad for things like remembering exactly how old I am, or worse, keeping track of my family tree, so I don't accidentally commit a taboo.
But the good news is, I'd be quite capable of living my life year to year, as I really won't remember the last.

The biggest issue I can see is what happens when I turn XYZ age.
Like, eighty, and I still look young. Or 130 and I'm alive. It would be a lot of explaining and I'd get quite worried about being taken to a lab somewhere.

This is the problem. You'd have to move along from town to town when people get suspicious that you never age like the vampires in DF, except the government keeps much closer track of us. You can't even really flee to a different country without elaborately faking your identity, and eventually someone is going to notice that you've been paying income tax and renewing your drivers' license for longer than most people are alive. You'd pretty much have to go out and live as a hermit somewhere before the heat comes on, or stick to the most lawless regions of the world where the fog of war is too think to keep track of anything if you want to avoid being vivisected by the CIA.

I somehow get the feeling that society is so shortsighted that if whevever questioned, you just responded "oh, yeah. I don't age" it would actually go nowhere.
Like the Dep. Transport people would make a little buzz and then it would fall flat.
If media started to bother you just say someone did a story on you 50 years ago and it sank their company.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #99409 on: December 02, 2015, 07:58:09 pm »

Re. immortality I get the idea that you re talking about a kind of immortality that can't be turned off, and you're stuck with your current meat body forever.

I doubt it'll work that way.

Way I see immortality working is that:

1) The classical biological immortality. The body's regeneration catches up with the aging and thus never breaks down either via genetic or therapy. Obviously, just like a lobster, you'll still die when stabbed. So you can really just kill yourself when you want to.

2) The consciousness is kept alive in a technological/artificial medium. With this much control over your form, you can keep altering your memories and resetting things for them to stop hurting. Or you can destroy yourself.

3) Your body parts and even brain are constantly replaced in a way that preserve your sense of being. This is likely goi to be pretty expensive and you'll have to worry about more than just existential ennui. Plus, you kind of require the human civilization to exist.

None of these would be stealthy in any way. The only subtle one would be the first method, and by the time that's possible everybody will probably have heard of it. Unkess you just happen to be an immortal mutant, but even then it's kind of impossible for you to be indestructible.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #99410 on: December 02, 2015, 08:03:23 pm »

4) Your conciousness in preserved due to some supernatural shenanigans
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99411 on: December 02, 2015, 09:01:07 pm »

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with technical immortality of the "live until you decide to die" format. But that's not "living forever", that's "dying later". :P I was responding to the idea that it would never make sense to want to die. Either you go on living literally forever, or there will have to come a point where death is more attractive than continued life.

It's mostly the concept of eternity that spooks me. Or even just very long amounts of time. I have trouble picturing someone actually wanting to remain conscious for, say, 15 billion years, but that's still not even the tiniest fraction of forever.

Obviously not a thing that could ever actually come up outside of supernatural settings though, I mean the universe is probably going to end eventually. Right?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99412 on: December 02, 2015, 09:03:34 pm »

I have trouble picturing someone actually wanting to remain conscious for, say, 15 billion years.
I have a few photos in the photo share thread if that helps...

Also, my hope is that with a couple eons to work on it, someone somewhere in the universe can figure out the whole "universe is gonna end" thing and take care of that.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #99413 on: December 02, 2015, 09:04:33 pm »

Well, if I can selectively lock in part of my memories ad infinitum as a deathless being, I think I'd be able to deal with living until the heat death of the universe. Or multiverse, if entropy can somehow be stopped in a closed system (AKA nah we're likely all gonna die unless we break physics)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #99414 on: December 02, 2015, 09:08:32 pm »

I have trouble picturing someone actually wanting to remain conscious for, say, 15 billion years.

Also, my hope is that with a couple eons to work on it, someone somewhere in the universe can figure out the whole "universe is gonna end" thing and take care of that.
Depends on how the universe is gonna end. If we're going with the heat death theory, I'm fairly certain that'd be impossible to stop, beyond some godlike power of causing the universe to stop expanding and contract instead.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #99415 on: December 02, 2015, 09:11:15 pm »

We could build a virtual reality and accelerate time there to the point of infinity.

I mean, that sounds ridiculous, but it'd be one way to go about it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99416 on: December 02, 2015, 09:17:14 pm »

Perhaps the Spathi had some wisdom on this subject...
Quote from: Traditional Spathi prayer
Oh God...Please don't let me die today! Tomorrow would be so much better!
Quote from: But what do you really want out of this great mystery called `Life'?
I want to live forever, with no pain whatsoever, owning vast personal property plus a company of nubiles.
If this is in your power to give, I beg of you to do so.
Quote from: We have heard that you are a race of cowards. Is this true?
Yes, absolutely, and with no qualifications.
This behavior has kept us alive for millenia, and we see no reason to change it now.
Ok maybe not "wisdom"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #99417 on: December 02, 2015, 09:28:10 pm »

We could build a virtual reality and accelerate time there to the point of infinity.

Go about what? Immortality, or solving the end of the universe?

If immortality, unless we manage to import meat people into digital people, otherwise when the meat people int he real world die, their digital avatar or whatever through which they are experiencing the virtual world will die, regardless of what the time is in the virtual world.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99418 on: December 02, 2015, 09:28:51 pm »

Personally, the ability to live forever sounds awesome.

If you don't die, it means you're practically outside the consequences so long as you don't do something stupid to allow people to capture you and be tortured forever.

If you can die somehow, it means you have a way out given you're so damned tired of life anymore.

In both cases, you can grow old to see notable changes between generations, and you can always recount history by writing it down for others to see, while trying to avoid suspicion.

However, should immortality be in effect, but you still age... that's a different story.

Go about what? Immortality, or solving the end of the universe?

If immortality, unless we manage to import meat people into digital people, otherwise when the meat people int he real world die, their digital avatar or whatever through which they are experiencing the virtual world will die, regardless of what the time is in the virtual world.

E: Replication and preservation of data via Von Neumann probes, while they find a way to stuff us back into a body?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99419 on: December 02, 2015, 09:33:39 pm »

Depends on how the universe is gonna end. If we're going with the heat death theory, I'm fairly certain that'd be impossible to stop, beyond some godlike power of causing the universe to stop expanding and contract instead.
well honestly if we thought it were possible then it wouldn't taken eons of work with literally hundreds of trillions of beings working on it to figure it out would it

also y'all are so fucking greedy what is it with people and always assuming immediately that talking about immortality means ONLY YOU like honestly it's already been brought up that the most likely way to happen would be a society-wide thing so you're not like gonna be a vampire hiding in the shadows watching the world man
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:35:30 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 6626 6627 [6628] 6629 6630 ... 8167