Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6622 6623 [6624] 6625 6626 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9438546 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #99345 on: December 01, 2015, 10:07:31 am »

-
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:19:32 am by BlackFlyme »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99346 on: December 01, 2015, 10:17:11 am »

Caroline:
I thought 'Sex Ed' was supposed to be about educating students and dismissing common misconceptions, not having them repeated from the teacher's mouth. What use is a school where one doesn't get education?
Hahahahahahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No really, half the time sex ed consists of "okay class if you do sexy times before you're married then you go to hell".
Heh.
'YOU ARE ALL INTRINSICALLY EVIL. DO NOT RAPE'.

Ah, the memories.

Also, Just noticed I was arguing devil's advocate somewhere and forgot to own up to my ignorance.
Well now I feel sheepish.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:26:50 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #99347 on: December 01, 2015, 11:10:04 am »

Miaaaauuuuwwwww.
Taaaalllllkkkkk
Toooooooo
Hhheerrrrrrrr.

Seriously.  It's not doing you any good to bottle up your feelings, and I get the idea that she likes you back.

At the very least, mention it...
its just so hard to do without feeling awkward or unnatural. i have like no idea of what to say, im not much good at carrying a conversation with somebody i barely know and she's in a group of girls most of the time anyway which makes it so much harder.
like, it was already hard to work up the courage when things felt like they could only get better but now i feel like i might fuck everything up by doing it.
did i mention that this also amplifies how shitty i feel when i see some other dude talking to her

as much as i want to believe that she likes me im like very sure that we aren't even friends

also, mention what? :x

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99348 on: December 01, 2015, 11:16:47 am »

That you like her?
I don't know, you seem to be broadcasting that pretty strongly.

Lead with the bit that you don't know how to say what you're trying to say, maybe.

I don't know.  I'm not exactly skilled with relationships.

But seriously.

I was under the impression that you were getting the impression that the liking is mutual.

In which case, ask her about it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #99349 on: December 01, 2015, 11:24:20 am »

Listen to this guy first.

Then venture out of your fucking comfort zone and talk to her for fucks sake. If you never feel uncomfortable doing anything in your life then you're not doing anything new and you're esentially stagnating. Do you want to stagnate because you didn't want to feel uncomfortable?

@Putnam

7. Because existing is kinda crappy and you'd rather not have to do more of it
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99350 on: December 01, 2015, 12:12:01 pm »

Re: Not wanting to live forever

Maybe this makes me weird, but the idea of true eternal immortality freaks the shit out of me. It's easy enough to say "I want to live forever". I'd definitely want to live a long time, if possible. A couple hundred years. Maybe even a thousand?

But forever doesn't stop there. Would you be happy living 5000 years? 10,000? 100,000? Would you really want to wake up to millions of mornings, with thousands of years of built-up regrets and boredom weighing on you?

And of course, with true eternity, the first ten million years isn't even a drop in the ocean for how long your consciousness is going to stick around. Whatever your mind is like by then, it won't resemble anything we'd recognize as human, let alone sane. But still it keeps going, and going, and going...

So yes, I think that death is preferable to eternal life. And I consider oblivion vastly more comforting than an endless afterlife. I'm not even remotely suicidal, but I recognize that there's limits to how long I'd want to be alive and conscious in the grand scheme of things.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #99351 on: December 01, 2015, 12:56:28 pm »

1. Alzheimer's / dementia (in which you essentially die mentally and end up a shell with a broken mind)
For what it's worth some newer studies are showing that in many cases things like Alzheimer's doesn't actually destroy you so much as it "pauses" you. IIRC in some tests where Alzheimers was genetically induced in mice and then later "cured" through things that we aren't sure work on humans yet the mice were able to regain their lost mental capacity including regaining access to things that they had learned but could no longer access. Of course, if this is true then it's a bit of a sticky wicket because it's comes down to if you think a cure for alzheimer's is going to be discovered in a person's remaining lifespan (and thus make it worthwhile to keep them around so they can be "revived" back into their own brain), or if it won't.

Personally the way I see immortality and living forever is that everything changes when given enough time. As such even if I descend into mental insanity, given long enough the medical community should eventually come up with a way to cure it. No matter how "incurable" my disease might be right now, given enough time I have faith that it will become "curable". Taken in this light, then even if it took thousands of years to "cure" me, the untold millennia afterwards would outweigh it. When you compare nigh-infinity with any real number the infinity is going to win. :P

As for the religion aspect, that is exactly one of the reasons why I'm not a religious person, and I especially disbelieve religions that promise a paradise afterlife. I mean if you consider the idea of a paradise-like afterlife that is automatically better than everything real, then logically you should commit suicide as quickly as possible to enjoy the most time there, or, should suicide be forbidden, attempt to place yourself in jobs with the highest mortality rate possible like firefighters. Once you truly accept a paradise afterlife the only logical conclusion is to become a death-seeker, ideally killing as many other people who qualify as you can without breaking any religious laws like "don't murder".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99352 on: December 01, 2015, 01:46:27 pm »

That's one reason I don't understand pro-lifers. They say they're trying to save unborn children, but if someone's unbaptized baby (or fetus) dies, they say it went to heaven. So... why so upset?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99353 on: December 01, 2015, 02:32:50 pm »

That's one reason I don't understand pro-lifers. They say they're trying to save unborn children, but if someone's unbaptized baby (or fetus) dies, they say it went to heaven. So... why so upset?
They imagine a baby being murdered for every fetus aborted and run with their emotions.
Or the baby/fetus actually goes to limbo with all the righteous pagans and they lie about it to the person so they eventually calm down.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99354 on: December 01, 2015, 03:33:38 pm »

Listen to this guy first.

Then venture out of your fucking comfort zone and talk to her for fucks sake. If you never feel uncomfortable doing anything in your life then you're not doing anything new and you're esentially stagnating. Do you want to stagnate because you didn't want to feel uncomfortable?
Not really sure what to reply to this.
I'll try, I guess. Working up the courage to walk into a group of girls is hard.
Guess I might have a chance every day for the next two weeks because of exams but... eh :x

That you like her?
I don't know, you seem to be broadcasting that pretty strongly.

Lead with the bit that you don't know how to say what you're trying to say, maybe.

I don't know.  I'm not exactly skilled with relationships.

But seriously.

I was under the impression that you were getting the impression that the liking is mutual.

In which case, ask her about it.
I try not to assume anything like that, ever. I already read too much into it all the time so >.>
Telling her does not really seem like a good idea to me tbh :x

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99355 on: December 01, 2015, 03:37:26 pm »

@miauw:
Well, ask her if you're getting it right.  Ask her if you could talk to her for a second and then, well.
"Hey, [insert name here], sorry if I'm being abrupt, but do you like me?"

And then if she does, tell her.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99356 on: December 01, 2015, 03:48:24 pm »

...Do you find that sort of thing so easy, TBF? Because that approach seems to me like it would be terrifying.
The whole "dude just talk to her" or "just tell her how you feel" thing is really easier said than done, for a lot of people at least. 

Anyway, my sad: the new version of DF is out this morning, yet I have to go to work.
Ugh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99357 on: December 01, 2015, 03:58:41 pm »

...Do you find that sort of thing so easy, TBF?
No.
I don't.

I'm even less social, probably.  At least, for anything more than small talk.

And I'm currently suggesting he ask her how she feels.  Though, well, that could be just as awkward.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:00:38 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #99358 on: December 01, 2015, 04:24:44 pm »

These things are always easier said than done, because for most people there is no easy way of doing this. Which is why people keep saying that he just up and does it because the longer he waits the harder it gets as he already knows from past expirience. Plus, the only way to make this sort of thing easier is to just keep doing it until most if not all of the fear is gone.

I know it's hard because I've been trough the same damn thing and the only way it becomes tolerable if you just grit your teeth and go trough with it, realising afterwards that the world didn't really end like you thought it would.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99359 on: December 01, 2015, 04:37:06 pm »

@miauw:
Well, ask her if you're getting it right.  Ask her if you could talk to her for a second and then, well.
"Hey, [insert name here], sorry if I'm being abrupt, but do you like me?"

And then if she does, tell her.
Asking a question like thatis basically admitting I like her, really.

I think it's just something that my therapist said that really fucked me up. I was pretty fucked up before, but I feel like that made it last.

And I guess what I'm really afraid of is it being awkward and me just getting more afraid of talking to her >.>

Pages: 1 ... 6622 6623 [6624] 6625 6626 ... 8167