Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6496 6497 [6498] 6499 6500 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449200 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97455 on: September 24, 2015, 03:16:06 pm »

Have to stay up late to wait for someone to email me a letter of reference for something that closes tomorrow. Nagging him to do it seems churlish. Bleh.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97456 on: September 24, 2015, 04:16:01 pm »

*smacks face on desk*

Yeah, the world cooled by 1 degree in 13 years, the independent scientists (independent being important) are finding varying results in terms of climate change and I suppose the moon's actually a picture someone photocopied and attached to a plane.

To be fair, predicting the weather is a notoriously inaccurate science
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #97457 on: September 24, 2015, 04:27:57 pm »

That's not about predicting the weather.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97458 on: September 24, 2015, 04:50:37 pm »

*smacks face on desk*

Yeah, the world cooled by 1 degree in 13 years, the independent scientists (independent being important) are finding varying results in terms of climate change and I suppose the moon's actually a picture someone photocopied and attached to a plane.
It causes me physical pain to know there are people this stupid running countries
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97459 on: September 24, 2015, 04:53:18 pm »

*smacks face on desk*

It causes me physical pain to know there are people this stupid running countries
*starts looking into study-abroad programs to escape the one madhouse into a probably-less-madhouse*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97460 on: September 24, 2015, 05:17:31 pm »

It is when they say that the average global temperature rise by such-and-such or we'll lose x percentage of the polar icecaps amount by 2025 or whatever. Some amount of these things will almost certainly happen but I'm highly wary of the many activists who seem to be fond of quoting very specific numbers for them.

Personally I do believe in global warming, but I'm not particularly worried about it because I'm a good distance away from the coast and on a hill. I'm not gonna get flooded out by rising sea levels. And while arctic wildlife dying out is certainly sad, it's not something that affects me personally. Furthermore, I'm confident that the rich businesspeople currently standing in the way of taking measures to stop global warming will change their tune and start working to fix the environment as soon as a few of their beachfront and lakefront houses get washed away.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97461 on: September 24, 2015, 05:22:09 pm »

It is when they say that the average global temperature rise by such-and-such or we'll lose x percentage of the polar icecaps amount by 2025 or whatever. Some amount of these things will almost certainly happen but I'm highly wary of the many activists who seem to be fond of quoting very specific numbers for them.

Personally I do believe in global warming, but I'm not particularly worried about it because I'm a good distance away from the coast and on a hill. I'm not gonna get flooded out by rising sea levels. And while arctic wildlife dying out is certainly sad, it's not something that affects me personally. Furthermore, I'm confident that the rich businesspeople currently standing in the way of taking measures to stop global warming will change their tune and start working to fix the environment as soon as a few of their beachfront and lakefront houses get washed away.
If we wait until then, it'll be massively harder to fix.
Like entrenchment.  MS, Google...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97462 on: September 24, 2015, 05:24:10 pm »

Definition of climate in English:
noun
1The weather conditions prevailing in an area in general or over a long period
Definition of weather in English:
noun
[mass noun]
1The state of the atmosphere at a particular place and time as regards heat, cloudiness, dryness, sunshine, wind, rain, etc
It's important to know the difference between weather and climate. Otherwise people get away with saying things like "if global warming is real then why am I cold???"
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #97463 on: September 24, 2015, 05:25:22 pm »

If global warming is real then why do monkeys still exist?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97464 on: September 24, 2015, 05:26:51 pm »

If global warming is real then why do monkeys still exist?
Checkmate atheists
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #97465 on: September 24, 2015, 05:28:55 pm »

Wait, you think rising sea levels and a loss of ice caps is the only problem caused by global warming?

Hunger is a much bigger deal, and rising food prices do affect you.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #97466 on: September 24, 2015, 05:29:47 pm »

By then, it will be too late to avert some really, really bad effects. It's actually already too late to avert some pretty nasty stuff, as even if we all stopped emitting right now, our various greenhouse gasses would stick around in the atmosphere for a while (especially CFCs) and other things would take decades to repair on their own.

But flooding is only one effect. And even just looking at that, there are ways that would affect you. With such a huge chunk of the world's population living in at-risk areas, the remaining areas would get more crowded, which, combined with the loss of so much productive land, would have major economic effects. The loss of coastal wetlands (which are extremely ecologically important), as well as other costal habitats, will prompt the denizens of those areas to flee further inland (or perish), causing disruption throughout the biosphere.

It's not necessarily doomsday, as some would paint it, but some things are going to suck in the within next 5 decades at least. Nothing will be completely isolated from the effects of global warming, due to everything on the planet affecting everything else to at least some degree.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #97467 on: September 24, 2015, 06:05:48 pm »

I kinda wish people were more like cats. Cats just walk up to you and ask for cuddles. No dance, no game, just cuddles (and then catbutt).

The irony to my simile is that I'm allergic to cats, and that about aptly summarizes things, too.

Sometimes they passive-aggressively shit on your bed, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97468 on: September 24, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »

I kinda wish people were more like cats. Cats just walk up to you and ask for cuddles. No dance, no game, just cuddles (and then catbutt).

The irony to my simile is that I'm allergic to cats, and that about aptly summarizes things, too.

Sometimes they passive-aggressively shit on your bed, though.

Well, there's at least one similarity.

technicallyAdventurer

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Above User in a Nutshell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97469 on: September 24, 2015, 10:16:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:19:18 pm by technicallyAdventurer »
Although rare in most lands, the technicallyAdventurer is a common sight in the User Above You threads.
Pages: 1 ... 6496 6497 [6498] 6499 6500 ... 8167