Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6370 6371 [6372] 6373 6374 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435124 times)

Eisensturm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #95565 on: July 27, 2015, 07:46:54 am »

i very much doubt it will go that fast.
But, apparently, the experts do.

Correction. According to that article:

"SOME experts do. Then theres plenty more camps of thinkers."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #95566 on: July 27, 2015, 08:06:51 am »

i very much doubt it will go that fast.
But, apparently, the experts do.

Correction. According to that article:

"SOME experts do. Then theres plenty more camps of thinkers."

Most notably, that article's poll consists almost exclusively of people that have made developing such an AI their life's work. Mainstream computer science answers the question of "When will a godlike super-AI exist" with a range from "no less than a century or two given the fundamental breakthroughs that would be required" to "it is a completely impossible quack theory, just like Alchemical Transmutation or FTL by acceleration."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95567 on: July 27, 2015, 08:35:40 am »

It's a completely implausible quack theory. Flat out. Going in any direction with it you rapidly run into a hard problem that suggests we're less "kept away from the goal" and more "don't even know where/what the goal is or if we're even on a racetrack to begin with".

Chinese Room
Intelligence Explosion
Medium Limitation
Problem of Consciousness
Nature of "Thought Directives"

This is but a short list of everything, everything humanity would have to conclusively answer for a singularity AI to even be possible, much less actually created.

The singularity is bullshit and it will never happen, Roko's basilisk is blind, and everyone who makes their dramatic sci-fi predictions for the future always sets them in their remaining lifetime.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95568 on: July 27, 2015, 08:47:30 am »

The Chinese Room "problem" is a terrible objection to AI. It's clear from the description of it that the system of instructions contained within the book is what understands Chinese and can hold a conversation.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #95569 on: July 27, 2015, 08:52:14 am »

Searle's Chinese Room argument isn't exactly the best choice for debunking the possibility of AI. Searle tries to argue that making an AI as competent as a human is impossible because the biological human brain has some "stuff" that makes it work the way it does which an AI cannot have. Searle makes no attempt to scientifically quantify this "stuff" and it's for all intents and purposes just a person saying "but muh brain is more special than a computer".

Also, in the Chinese Room argument, if the guy in the room meant to translate chinese is supposed to be representative of an ai program made to translate chinese, but nothing else, then the ai would be a "narrow" ai or "weak" ai which is not at all meant to be  as intelligent as a human. It's a program written to do its job, which in this case is translate chinese to english.

edit: ninja'd by grak.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #95570 on: July 27, 2015, 09:00:45 am »

Also, in the Chinese Room argument, if the guy in the room meant to translate chinese is supposed to be representative of an ai program made to translate chinese, but nothing else, then the ai would be a "narrow" ai or "weak" ai which is not at all meant to be  as intelligent as a human. It's a program written to do its job, which in this case is translate chinese to english.

That's the entire point of the argument. The Chinese Room problem posits that -just as there is no way to tell the difference between a fluent Chinese speaker in a box and someone with zero Chinese skills and a good Chinese-to-English dictionary in a box- it is impossible to tell the difference between a "strong" AI and a "weak" one with any basic tests because all you can do is record what it puts out, not determine whether or not it is capable of really understanding the data being processed and use that to actually think.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #95571 on: July 27, 2015, 09:10:07 am »

also we're already hitting quite a few barriers with regards to processor speed. i doubt that anything short of a big parallel supercomputer would even be able to run a powerful AI in the first place.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95572 on: July 27, 2015, 09:13:08 am »

Moore's Law has escaped its fate more than once before, and we have reason enough to believe it'll do so at least a few more times, but computronium it ain't.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #95573 on: July 27, 2015, 09:15:17 am »

That's the entire point of the argument. The Chinese Room problem posits that -just as there is no way to tell the difference between a fluent Chinese speaker in a box and someone with zero Chinese skills and a good Chinese-to-English dictionary in a box- it is impossible to tell the difference between a "strong" AI and a "weak" one with any basic tests because all you can do is record what it puts out, not determine whether or not it is capable of really understanding the data being processed and use that to actually think.
If the chinese room AI can do anything besides its primary reason for being programmed - to translate chinese to english - then it's a strong AI. Otherwise it's a weak AI that's good at what it was made for but bad at anything else it wasn't made for.

also we're already hitting quite a few barriers with regards to processor speed. i doubt that anything short of a big parallel supercomputer would even be able to run a powerful AI in the first place.
There's been engineering and science and stuff working on computing with things besides silicon chips. Silicon chips are the current step in computing before finding the next big thing to work with, like vacuum tubes were before silicon chips.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95574 on: July 27, 2015, 09:49:16 am »

What about the other problems MetalSlime listed? Assuming that computing speed is not a problem - i.e. we've got a hypothetical computronium processor that is infinitely powerful - is creating something that will be, as the article states, "thinking on a level that we can't possibly comprehend" even theoretically feasible, or is it just a case of people trying to promote their own line of work too hard?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #95575 on: July 27, 2015, 10:06:23 am »

What about the other problems MetalSlime listed? Assuming that computing speed is not a problem - i.e. we've got a hypothetical computronium processor that is infinitely powerful - is creating something that will be, as the article states, "thinking on a level that we can't possibly comprehend" even theoretically feasible, or is it just a case of people trying to promote their own line of work too hard?
Well, do bear in mind, humans are thinking on a level we cannot comprehend, at least currently.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95576 on: July 27, 2015, 10:09:13 am »

I've been doing a lot of heavy roleplaying lately.
Had to have a real life conversation today and the word "Aye" just came out.
Everyone looked at me funny and now I have to consciously control my speech, T.T
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #95577 on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:15 am »

Come to Northern Ireland. I regularly say aye in my speech, though typically leave it out of my writing.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95578 on: July 27, 2015, 11:27:11 am »

Consider the problem of how to get the AI up to the intelligence, knowledge and wisdom level of an average human in the first place. How do we get humans up there? By letting them muck about in society for thirty years. How do we get AIs up there?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95579 on: July 27, 2015, 11:30:19 am »

Wanna do bunches of forum game stuff.
Phone unsuitable for text dump.
Must wait hours for next computer availability.

i wouldn't mind being ridden tbh
You're a bear? I thought you were skinny Canadian.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 6370 6371 [6372] 6373 6374 ... 8167