Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6314 6315 [6316] 6317 6318 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451076 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #94725 on: June 28, 2015, 12:59:00 pm »

I got around to ordering an anatomy textbook I need to study for the entrance exam to a university. It costs 121 euros, because why not start extorting the students before they've even applied to the school?

Shouldn't have bought a firsthand copy. Should've ordered a used one from ebay or amazon.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #94726 on: June 28, 2015, 01:09:46 pm »

Are you sure it doesn't kill you? I thought people ended up dehydrated if not careful.
Yeah, but you can say the same thing about perfectly healthy people who forgot to drink (and it happens, thanks to some drugs; I THINK ecstasy, not 100% sure). By the same metric, water will kill you.
100% of people who drink water die.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94727 on: June 28, 2015, 01:11:28 pm »

Welp, gonna fail an exam tommorrow.

It's not even that hard, and I did study for it, but I just kinda stopped yesterday and couldn't bring myself to begin at all today. I have a couple of shots at it after tomorrow, but I still feel kinda shitty for not getting it over with already.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #94728 on: June 28, 2015, 01:13:24 pm »

Are you sure it doesn't kill you? I thought people ended up dehydrated if not careful.
Yeah, but you can say the same thing about perfectly healthy people who forgot to drink (and it happens, thanks to some drugs; I THINK ecstasy, not 100% sure). By the same metric, water will kill you.
This is much funnier if you warn people about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide instead.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #94729 on: June 28, 2015, 01:22:30 pm »

Personal grumps; no amount of water will quench my thirst. I am perpetually thirsty, and yet I feel as though I will vomit if I drink any significant amount at once
...it's not diabetes is it? Because diabetes can do that. And also kill you.
In scary news, that could be a sign of diabetes or rabies, AFAIK

In less scary news, it can be a sign that you don't have enough electrolytes.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #94730 on: June 28, 2015, 01:50:44 pm »

Shouldn't have bought a firsthand copy. Should've ordered a used one from ebay or amazon.
That did cross my mind. The exam specifies this year's edition of the book of which secondhand copies aren't yet readily available, and while the almost-yearly changes to textbooks are usually mostly superficial and only there for the publisher's profit, I can't take the risk of something crucial to the test being added or omitted to it. That has already happened to me multiple times in lower-degree schools. I've read plenty of stories on how corrupt the system is, no need to educate me on that. At least the book seems like something that will help me for a good while, and I managed to persuade my parents to pay the bill.

I can give no guarantees, as I don't know what will you be asked in that entrance exam. BUT, back when I still was at university, I found that Heinz Feneis' Pocket Atlas of Anatomy was far more useful (and cheap) than other, larger tomes.
I checked that out, but sadly it's not available in my language. I could probably make do with an English copy, but the exam's questions and terminology will be in Finnish, so language barriers might arise unless I'd work extra to learn every term in both languages.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #94731 on: June 28, 2015, 02:10:10 pm »

Personal grumps; no amount of water will quench my thirst. I am perpetually thirsty, and yet I feel as though I will vomit if I drink any significant amount at once
...it's not diabetes is it? Because diabetes can do that. And also kill you.
In scary news, that could be a sign of diabetes or rabies, AFAIK

In less scary news, it can be a sign that you don't have enough electrolytes.
it's what the plants crave
Rabies is just hydrophobia, not thirst. I mean, they kinda go well with each other after a while, but the point stands.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #94732 on: June 28, 2015, 03:07:05 pm »

Drinking a "significant amount at once" is probably not the wisest choice when your body is in dehydration mode. I don't know about you, but when I go without food for a few days I end up losing my appetites, so the same probably apply to water.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #94733 on: June 28, 2015, 03:17:17 pm »

Drinking a "significant amount at once" is probably not the wisest choice when your body is in dehydration mode. I don't know about you, but when I go without food for a few days I end up losing my appetites, so the same probably apply to water.
Eh, I dunno. It makes sense to turn off hunger; you can go hungry for a month or so, of course not without awful side-effects but still. It doesn't make sense to nag you after a while.

No water will kill you within a few days, it makes sense to go into panic mode the longer you're in it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #94734 on: June 28, 2015, 03:18:55 pm »

Water wise, drinking a significant amount in one go is pretty much never a good idea, regardless of your physical state. Liquid in general, really. Dehydration and overexertion can both make it a worse idea, though, yes. The whole "feel like you want to vomit" thing was from downing too much at once, and happens pretty much regardless when you overimbibe. Break up the amount drank over a longer period.

For the baseline, liquid intake should be around 2 liters a day for a average critter (it varies a bit by person, and what you're drinking can have an effect, but if you're getting at least that much, you're probably in decent shape). If you're getting that much and still feeling constantly thristy, consult a doctor ASAP. As others have noted, it can be a sign of pretty serious medical conditions.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #94735 on: June 28, 2015, 03:24:20 pm »

This is much funnier if you warn people about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide instead.

Or hydrogen hydroxide
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94736 on: June 28, 2015, 03:43:33 pm »

Or hydrogen hydroxide
I'd prefer to hear dihydrogen monoxide because at least I'll know wtf they're talking because I paid attention during mandatory education.

Sad: I'm told my sister is going out to get more thc. Damn it.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94737 on: June 28, 2015, 03:49:17 pm »

I take it she won't share?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94738 on: June 28, 2015, 04:08:53 pm »

I take it she won't share?
She might but it is more that once each of us can smell it we want it. When you get 3 people like this and 1 of them buys... it becomes cyclical. That over a longer period of time really changes your thought process.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94739 on: June 28, 2015, 06:22:29 pm »

Then why not chip in? That way you don't piss her off and you all get to smoke more ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 6314 6315 [6316] 6317 6318 ... 8167