Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6310 6311 [6312] 6313 6314 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452640 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #94665 on: June 26, 2015, 07:39:29 am »

For whatever reason I feel really...Not sure how to describe it. Lonely would probably be the best way. I just can't shake the feeling that nobody really cares about me, just pretends to out of pity and a sense of obligation. Which is ridiculous, I know, but here we are.

And even aside from that, I feel like I should probably drop out of contact with/sever ties with several of my friends simply because it seems like I'm kind of doing the opposite with them of what I should be; that is, just dragging their mood down with me and making them miserable as well. And I honestly have to wonder if the same is true for the forums; I really don't contribute much of anything here. And if I were to just stop posting...Would anyone notice? Would it be a better place if I weren't part of it?

On top of that I've been incredibly stressed out over everything. Even though there's nothing to stress about. It seems I'm pretty much hardwired to always find every little, tiny thing and blow it massively out of proportion, constantly worrying about it. And sometimes it makes sense, like coming out of the closet, but other times it's complete asinine bullshit that ends up making me feel like I'm about to snap.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94666 on: June 26, 2015, 08:26:40 am »

And even aside from that, I feel like I should probably drop out of contact with/sever ties with several of my friends simply because it seems like I'm kind of doing the opposite with them of what I should be; that is, just dragging their mood down with me and making them miserable as well. And I honestly have to wonder if the same is true for the forums; I really don't contribute much of anything here. And if I were to just stop posting...Would anyone notice? Would it be a better place if I weren't part of it?
Dude, I have a laugh every time I see a post of yours: I confuse you with Arx because of your avatar, and then I chuckle about my carelessness.
Plus I've seen you make some great contributions in some of the less general threads - the religion one maybe? If you were gone I wouldn't notice immediately, but I'd pick up on it after a while - and it would make me feel a bit sad to see that another forumite has fallen away silently.

TL;DR: You do contribute, and regardless of your contributions you'd be missed.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #94667 on: June 26, 2015, 08:32:45 am »

I've never posted in the religion thread...Ever.

EDIT: Or for that matter, never posted about religion in general save for the slight example of off-handedly bringing up my hobby of studying occultism.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94668 on: June 26, 2015, 08:52:04 am »

I don't know why I let this get to me like it does. Just the feeling that I'm just so excluded from nearly the whole rest of society.

I feel that if I really want to get out of my rut in life, I'll have to pursue a furthered education, but my largest gripe about that isn't the academic work, I'm just afraid of again being the person who clearly doesn't belong, of just being the loser that can't make any real friends in a social setting.

I'm not able to complete the homework my therapist gave me, and he stipulated to call him for my next appoint once I've finished. It looks like I'm not seeing my therapist anymore, the contradiction prevents me.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #94669 on: June 26, 2015, 11:32:35 am »

I don't know why I let this get to me like it does. Just the feeling that I'm just so excluded from nearly the whole rest of society.

I feel that if I really want to get out of my rut in life, I'll have to pursue a furthered education, but my largest gripe about that isn't the academic work, I'm just afraid of again being[...] the person who clearly doesn't belong, of just being the loser that can't make any real friends in a social setting.

I'm not able to complete the homework my therapist gave me, and he stipulated to call him for my next appoint once I've finished. It looks like I'm not seeing my therapist anymore, the contradiction prevents me.
If it helps, I could say I can relate. A lot.
It's always that feeling of the moment--reluctance or 'noooooo don't' which got me back then--when I was around 15 or so. A year or such before I joined this place :O Basic idea was that fear consuming me. 'Just do it' was the best solution--given that I could blatantly see that there was nothing wrong in the situations presented; most were pretty much innocuous, and the person helping me through it (my dad) told me the same things your therapist tells you: do it, once your done, return to me, feedback. He said it in the calmest of tones, with a :)
Though his face was all like :I
...So that helped. A tiny bit. xD

Giving up seemed best. I mean, that's what I felt anyway.
Then the thought came to me--why are my feelings predicting the future? I mean, seriously. This isn't how people act most of the time. {something which provoked me towards learning about this in depth}
Why should I give up when what's currently happening, is what matters? Yeah, stuff happened before.
But can't I learn from them in a better way than just treating my future as {trash}?

I'm mirroring the advice given to me before. Dear goodness do I realize how effective it is now :-\
But that's one side of the coin though. Many ways on how to handle these things...

...I even contradicted his advice once and went back to him asking 'How would you handle it so I can have an idea'? Then he got grumpy but played along. Then I actually did it, and what happened was I explained everything, and made my intent blatant. Not the best way, but it worked. x3

My point being: No matter what happens to ya Joshua, I've got faith in you. No matter what happens in this situation: Do it. If it fails, provide honest and full feedback, then suggest what can be done if I've to try again in the future. If it succeeds...err, that leads to a lot of 'next step' things.
But fear failure in this situation--not because of the aftereffects detrimental to us, but the fear of inaction. We can be rejected, but we can learn from it. Supposedly, the first question would be 'Who is this?'. :P
If in doubt, I found explaining what I'm doing to be an ok thing (though...that's more personal than anything. I tend to do these when anxious. Well, tended. But anyway). The other person got my idea, and in general, they don't respond malevolently if you explain yourself honestly, including your feelings and such :O But this is situational, I think. Get a friend there to aid ya or posit a hypothetical with someone nice and open there.

My mind is blank from fatigue now. x_x sorry.

Dude, I have a laugh every time I see a post of yours: I confuse you with Arx because of your avatar, and then I chuckle about my carelessness.
Plus I've seen you make some great contributions in some of the less general threads - the religion one maybe? If you were gone I wouldn't notice immediately, but I'd pick up on it after a while - and it would make me feel a bit sad to see that another forumite has fallen away silently.

TL;DR: You do contribute, and regardless of your contributions you'd be missed.
Not the same here, you. :P
When you say forums, who do you refer to? All of us? Like, even those who don't post but click on a thread and read all these posts and words but don't post at the time (or ever)?
Because its not what's happening. Maybe its what your feelings are saying. From what I've experienced--most cautious and negative feelings are based on what we think and what we know, so they're more guides and indicators rather than landmarks on what life is.

If you're bringing your friends down, maybe being honest with them would help? Severing the ties straight out would, out of context, be both surprising and very open to assumption on the other end. What I learned from my friends is over the years--yeah, they may be saddened or, so to say, 'burdened' by when we're down or mopey, but that generally doesn't mean 'I'm sad by being with you'. They're reflecting on the situation (something I didn't think of until it was explained to me...back when I was 15. v:)

Also I'm PMing you something. Heads up. :O
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:36:35 am by Tiruin »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94670 on: June 26, 2015, 11:56:10 am »

I feel that if I really want to get out of my rut in life, I'll have to pursue a furthered education, but my largest gripe about that isn't the academic work, I'm just afraid of again being[...] the person who clearly doesn't belong, of just being the loser that can't make any real friends in a social setting.

If it helps, I could say I can relate. A lot.
It's always that feeling of the moment--reluctance or 'noooooo don't' which got me back then--when I was around 15 or so. A year or such before I joined this place :O Basic idea was that fear consuming me. 'Just do it' was the best solution--given that I could blatantly see that there was nothing wrong in the situations presented; most were pretty much innocuous, and the person helping me through it (my dad) told me the same things your therapist tells you: do it, once your done, return to me, feedback. He said it in the calmest of tones, with a :)
Though his face was all like :I
...So that helped. A tiny bit. xD

Giving up seemed best. I mean, that's what I felt anyway.
Then the thought came to me--why are my feelings predicting the future? I mean, seriously. This isn't how people act most of the time. {something which provoked me towards learning about this in depth}
Why should I give up when what's currently happening, is what matters? Yeah, stuff happened before.
But can't I learn from them in a better way than just treating my future as {trash}?

I'm mirroring the advice given to me before. Dear goodness do I realize how effective it is now :-\
But that's one side of the coin though. Many ways on how to handle these things...

...I even contradicted his advice once and went back to him asking 'How would you handle it so I can have an idea'? Then he got grumpy but played along. Then I actually did it, and what happened was I explained everything, and made my intent blatant. Not the best way, but it worked. x3

My point being: No matter what happens to ya Joshua, I've got faith in you. No matter what happens in this situation: Do it. If it fails, provide honest and full feedback, then suggest what can be done if I've to try again in the future. If it succeeds...err, that leads to a lot of 'next step' things.
But fear failure in this situation--not because of the aftereffects detrimental to us, but the fear of inaction. We can be rejected, but we can learn from it. Supposedly, the first question would be 'Who is this?'. :P
If in doubt, I found explaining what I'm doing to be an ok thing (though...that's more personal than anything. I tend to do these when anxious. Well, tended. But anyway). The other person got my idea, and in general, they don't respond malevolently if you explain yourself honestly, including your feelings and such :O But this is situational, I think. Get a friend there to aid ya or posit a hypothetical with someone nice and open there.

My mind is blank from fatigue now. x_x sorry.

Thanks again Tiruin. I just felt I had to visit the Sad Thread today, because my day was going well, and then a *small reason redacted* happened, and my mood was sent into a death spiral. Now I just have to hope to sleep it off cause that's the only option now.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #94671 on: June 26, 2015, 12:14:07 pm »

You quoted the everything x3
Just trying to help here. I can -so- relate with most of what's posted (other than spiderbite on the eye :/ I just got cockroach bite on the eye once...err...not good.), but so little time to do anything currently.

Partly glad I can type fast -.- Not glad that loading a page takes minutes now. Hooray our net.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94672 on: June 26, 2015, 04:07:06 pm »

Is quoting the everything good or bad?

But yes, I feel that pain too. I do a lot of pretending and posturing in order to get a bunch of superficial friends, and it's really nice until I slip up, and they see I'm just a nerd who has faked his way into their friendship group. Which happened last time I was at uni. But it was fun talking about gym to the gym people for a while, so hey, no harm done.

But wow your net. Come to Australia already!
Just in case cancelling your education and uprooting your entire life is worth having a decent internet connection.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #94673 on: June 26, 2015, 04:31:09 pm »

Cross post from dream thread.

In the morning after I woke up for real, I also found out that the dog belonging to my parents (one of the ones I dreamed about) was going to have his snipping surgery canceled because my dad was worried about the dog becoming fat and slow and we were going to be camping during it's recovery.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94674 on: June 26, 2015, 04:47:23 pm »

... Do animals usually react to castration with lethargy?
How poignant...
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #94675 on: June 26, 2015, 05:04:41 pm »

Humans do too. Eunuchs had a tendency to become fat after their operation.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #94676 on: June 26, 2015, 05:14:40 pm »

They lose muscle mass due to lack of testosterone, too.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94677 on: June 26, 2015, 05:21:06 pm »

Link

Some of you may have heard about this big thing about how some guy called Tim Hunt made sexist comments during a speech at a tech conference. This "story" was "broken" by Connie St Louis of the Guardian who claims that he made sexist comments saying that he believes women should be segregated in the labs because he said, "Three things happen when they are in the lab: you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticise them they cry."

Now this is very interesting, because that's actually the story of Tim Hunt's engagement and marriage to his current wife who is also a professor at the University College London (UCL) that he WAS a professor at.

Now I say was because, when this whole thing happened, UCL told him to either resign or be fired. He, a noble prize winner and long-term professor, chose to resign.

The most interesting part is that more information is coming out suggesting that not only did Connie St Louis miss out a lot of vital information (mainly the fact that it was a joke made before he started praising women in science), it seems that she has either lied or forgotten vital information about what he said.

Now, however, after several key figures (Richard Dawkins et al) have came out in support of Tim Hunt, she has doubled down and started demanding people don't defend him after she, essentially, ruined his life.

Considering she's a lecturer at City University London, it does make you start to understand why modern journalism is such trash.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #94678 on: June 26, 2015, 05:30:34 pm »

Link

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So a journalist is wrong but doesn't want to admit they were wrong, after them being wrong pretty much cost the job of the person they were wrongly criticizing.

This is like petty high school gossiping and rumour-spreading but on a stupidly larger scale. Brilliant.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #94679 on: June 26, 2015, 05:31:12 pm »

I hate my brain sometimes. My kids have me on edge and yelling at them, and they haven't done anything to deserve that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 6310 6311 [6312] 6313 6314 ... 8167