Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6298 6299 [6300] 6301 6302 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9459485 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #94485 on: June 23, 2015, 07:57:43 pm »

Can anybody suggest maybe a different forum that we could move these discussions to?
How about just stop?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94486 on: June 23, 2015, 07:58:57 pm »

Can anybody suggest maybe a different forum that we could move these discussions to?
How about just stop?
I dunno, I've heard that the administration there is pretty abysmal.
:P
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94487 on: June 23, 2015, 08:00:35 pm »

No. Almost all forums are dominated by local group think that prohibits free expression of discussion (and are thus stagnant pools of circular thought), or have no rules at all, and lack any structure for reasonable discourse, and are havens for trolls and stupidity.

This forum is surprisingly open to free discussion with only the most basic of rules in place to mantain stability. That's what makes it different.  Sad that we cant seem to abide by even those simple rules.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #94488 on: June 23, 2015, 08:01:48 pm »

How about just stop?

Absolutely not. Not until the discussion runs its course without interruption. I'm willing to respect the rules and not discuss it here but I'd prefer to resume it in a more hospitable venue as soon as possible.

No. Almost all forums are dominated by local group think that prohibits free expression of discussion (and are thus stagnant pools of circular thought), or have no rules at all, and lack any structure for reasonable discourse, and are havens for trolls and stupidity.

Do you know of any specific forums in the second group?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:06:37 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94489 on: June 23, 2015, 08:05:38 pm »

That's the thing, though. It has. Multiple times. It inevitably degrades into a handful of people who are unwilling to budge and who have irreconcilable worldviews flaming each other until someone is reported. That's not a meaningful discussion at that point, and it never will be. Allowing reoccurring fights to play out will either lead to an endless circejerk of mutual hate or most of the people on one of the sides jumping ship because there are people that refuse to agree with them.

Joking and piss-taking aside, it's obnoxious and it stops the overflow threads from doing what they're there for because they're dominated by the flavor-of-the-year head-bashing contest.

e: But yes, if some of you insist on beating that particular corpse into mulch, please set up a forum elsewhere and do it there or keep it to PMs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #94490 on: June 23, 2015, 08:15:16 pm »

What's the point of discussing things if you're just going to cherry pick and ignore other people?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #94491 on: June 23, 2015, 08:19:11 pm »

4chan comes to mind.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #94492 on: June 23, 2015, 08:19:48 pm »

/b/

EDIT: Fucking Spehss_Ninja
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #94493 on: June 23, 2015, 08:22:30 pm »

My bad.

Into the sig.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #94494 on: June 23, 2015, 08:22:37 pm »

What's the point of discussing things if you're just going to cherry pick and ignore other people?
*shrugs* There's still fruitful discussion to be had with certain venues of inquiry cherry picked and ignored. See: Medical science, regarding things like homeopathy. Just as one example among many, many examples.

If you're aware that you're not going to actually engage someone, and vice-versa, there's no point in engaging with them. Just talk about something else. Still plenty of to talk about, and having stuff that's verboten doesn't cause a spontaneous cascade deletion of everything else, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94495 on: June 23, 2015, 08:23:08 pm »

This is just out in the open--

While you are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your opinions being right, or being given the same weight as other opinions that have more supporting data.

That is the fallacy that afflicts modern media-- "Everything must be given equal exposure! Even if it can be proven to be a fallacious nuicance to everyone! Homeopathy, Intelligent Design, and Philosophical refusal of immunity shots! What the establishment thinks in the wake of the controversy! News at 11!"

We need to recognize it for the deleterious thing that it is, and not accept it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #94496 on: June 23, 2015, 08:26:10 pm »

My bad.

Into the sig.
In case it was unclear, you are an awesome person and I bear you no ill will
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #94497 on: June 23, 2015, 08:26:31 pm »

I'm sad my great poster got caught in the thread pruning.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94498 on: June 23, 2015, 08:27:25 pm »

PoH--

that is needlessly inflamatory. 

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94499 on: June 23, 2015, 08:28:11 pm »

The Toad cleared out a bunch of the few posts I make on this forum. How vapid my life is that forum drama has taken me from somewhat happy/excited to sad.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 6298 6299 [6300] 6301 6302 ... 8167