Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6212 6213 [6214] 6215 6216 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9488887 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93195 on: May 17, 2015, 08:51:03 pm »

Well. As some of you are probably aware, I've been coming to terms about possibly being trans. I told my sort-of-sister (We're not actually related, but I've known her most of my life and would trust her with my life) Krystal, and...Well, she didn't take it so well. Not to the point of her outright disliking me, but it was clear she wasn't comfortable with it. It'd be one thing if it was one of my more distant friends, like Edwin. But Krystal? It's been hard to imagine even living outside of a few miles of her (She's moving across the country shortly). And now I think I might have alienated her, or at least started on the path to it.

EDIT: As an aside, should also be noted that those aren't their actual names.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:56:18 pm by flame99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93196 on: May 17, 2015, 09:07:46 pm »

Well. As some of you are probably aware, I've been coming to terms about possibly being trans. I told my sort-of-sister (We're not actually related, but I've known her most of my life and would trust her with my life) Krystal, and...Well, she didn't take it so well. Not to the point of her outright disliking me, but it was clear she wasn't comfortable with it. It'd be one thing if it was one of my more distant friends, like Edwin. But Krystal? It's been hard to imagine even living outside of a few miles of her (She's moving across the country shortly). And now I think I might have alienated her, or at least started on the path to it.

Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93197 on: May 17, 2015, 10:03:33 pm »

Really, really pissed off a friend recently because I didn't go to one of her friend's parties.
Somehow it's some massive surprise that I'm an introvert.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #93198 on: May 17, 2015, 10:09:04 pm »

Hi Flame99.

You, like me, are sadly from a very conservative area of the US and perhaps GLBT, trans specifically. This does not bode well for either of us. Judging by your last post, it has been difficult.

Understand that there are many people who actively oppose transpeople like me (us?). You will probably have to develop a good acting skill hiding who you are, especially if you are a minor, or not financially independent. Until and unless you are ready to transition, hiding from people is a thing and unless you're fortunate enough to be in a very tolerant area.... Yeah, it's a thing I've had to do. I suspect you will probably too. You'll hear a lot about how people are more tolerant towards transpeople today and a very small portion of it is true, but out of context. They're nicer in that they couldn't have gotten much meaner than they were before, so an improvement was almost by default.

Not fair, but sadly true, and somebody should really tell you. It's best to test things out before telling anybody. You might want to use test topics to get a sense of how people feel about a certain related topic before associating yourself with that topic. Example, ask people if they saw the that Bruce Jenner interview on 20/20. Or maybe that's too forward. Ask them if they watch a show like Orange is the New Black and subtly ask what they think about that transwoman played by that Laverne Cox who really is trans. Asking about a slightly less controversial topic by means of talking about TV shows like Modern Family and stuff like that.

Generally you're better off with Democrats (as many but not all Republicans have issues against GLBT rights), women, and younger people, but surprisingly not always. I've seen liberal young women be total bitches against GLBT issues too (much to my surprise). Objectively / logically people shouldn't care, but they do. Learning to deal with it is your best and safest bet.

That said talking to a therapist / confidential person might be a thing. Personally I'd avoid many religious people on this issue concerning professionals (I've had bad experiences with a therapist with this background).

Be safe. That's the main thing.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93199 on: May 17, 2015, 10:10:55 pm »

Really, really pissed off a friend recently because I didn't go to one of her friend's parties.
Don't comprehend how someone gets mad at someone for not going to a thing.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #93200 on: May 17, 2015, 10:16:09 pm »

Really, really pissed off a friend recently because I didn't go to one of her friend's panties.
How I read that.

I should go to sleep.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #93201 on: May 17, 2015, 10:16:37 pm »

Thank you. I'd be bi and (maybe) trans.
I had done that, and thought she was fine with transsexuality, but...Evidently not. And I've already gotten accustomed to acting; it's been something I've done reflexively for years before I even realized I was bisexual (Yay for trust issues...). As for getting a therapist...I'll be honest, I probably really do need one. But we simply can't afford it.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93202 on: May 17, 2015, 10:29:34 pm »

Don't comprehend how someone gets mad at someone for not going to a thing.

I have difficulty also. But I guess if you never go to friend's things, they'll never go to yours.
Which ends with you having no friends.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #93203 on: May 17, 2015, 10:50:55 pm »

Flame99: She just needs some time, I'm sure. You could remind her that you are/will-be the same person regardless of gender, only a tad more honest with yourself.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93204 on: May 17, 2015, 11:02:02 pm »

Thank you. I'd be bi and (maybe) trans.
I had done that, and thought she was fine with transsexuality, but...Evidently not. And I've already gotten accustomed to acting; it's been something I've done reflexively for years before I even realized I was bisexual (Yay for trust issues...). As for getting a therapist...I'll be honest, I probably really do need one. But we simply can't afford it.
Hey by the way. Talk to me via PM if you like. I'm trying to explain some things right now but I have a lot of distractions and tired brain is not functioning brain.
This probably makes no sense yay

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #93205 on: May 18, 2015, 12:19:28 am »

Adagio for Strings

But in actual events, my brother has a somewhat lukewarm and immature reaction to me having certain emotional dilemmas lately.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #93206 on: May 18, 2015, 12:23:12 am »

Adagio for Strings
*googles*
*listens on youtube*
Oh hey, I've heard that before. So that's what it's called.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93207 on: May 18, 2015, 01:07:05 am »

*hugs*
Be patient. This is very new to her- much more than to you.
Maybe she just needs to think it through a bit. Give her some space and time, she could probably come around.

To add to what Truean and Caroline were saying, do what you can to test the water about gender stuff in a general sense with people who are close to you first. For one, you want to stay safe, and have as smooth a transitioning experience as possible; having major parts of your support network uprooted very suddenly is Really Bad News. Also, coming out as a different gender can be a lot for some people you know to process, and you want to be both honest and gentle with these people.

I started doing water-testing questions with friends and relatives, asking their thoughts on gender and sex as separate spectra or talking about trans-folks in general, after an experience I'd had with an ex. I took it for a safe space, and a topic they'd be comfortable and familiar with, since we'd talked about my not really fitting a traditional gender role before we'd even started dating. After the transness thing started to click for me, I kinda launched straight into talking about how I'd been questioning my gender identity, wanted to try some things out to explore the idea, and about the possibility that I might want to transition some day. I think they wanted to be supportive, but it was obviously a topic that caused them stress; one day I'd get heartfelt reassurance and support, and the next day it'd explode into an argument or an anxiety episode. It seemed like they were repressing a lot of feelings about it, and a common assumption that I had to argue against was that I'd suddenly become a completely different person. It was a hard discussion all around, I think.

So yeah... especially with more traditionally-minded people, or those who haven't had existing relationships (ie. friends, relatives, etc.) with people who have "changed gender" on them, try to find ways of talking about it in a general sense first, to get a feel for things, and be sensitive for how best to explain it to them in a way they'd understand. Honestly, a big part of the transitioning process as I understand it is letting your existing relationships get comfortable with who you are, reassuring them about what will and won't change about you, and helping them to rebuild their mental idea of who you are. It's also important to get a feeling for what relationships or environments are going to support you, and which are not... and sometimes this involves making tough choices, or even losing someone you thought of as a friend.

All you can do is represent yourself as honestly as you can, open the floor for questions, and give them time. As with many things, I think the majority of people can eventually come to an understanding, given enough time and honest discussion about it. And for those that won't support or understand you in it, going your separate ways is often for the best anyway.

Good luck to you, and I hope it's as smooth a process as possible.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:08:45 am by Solifuge »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93208 on: May 18, 2015, 01:14:37 am »

-snip-
*hugs*
Be patient. This is very new to her- much more than to you.
Maybe she just needs to think it through a bit. Give her some space and time, she could probably come around.
^
Also, education would help a ton--given that you're in the USA, know that the scientists of the mind and thought stand with you (and not against you -at all-).
Educate those around you, too.
Stigma is a bad thing which should not exist in our society nowadays. It's a relic of the past, though precisely a relic of attitude formation. :-\
Which means you should be aware of your environment, too...But you should also not DEVELOP the underlying understanding that you are powerless to confront this stigma which creates the hostility in your environment!

That said talking to a therapist / confidential person might be a thing. Personally I'd avoid many religious people on this issue concerning professionals (I've had bad experiences with a therapist with this background).
This is also a great step there. Therapy usually denotes talking to a person who really knows these things--problem may be the pervasive bias which may exist within there (which...sadly, is present within the religious field at times, though not fully). If religion is to play a card here, then I'll be dropping some key insights here as said by theologians (...wherein I copied and pasted into a notepad++ .txt file without getting the citation >_>).
Spoiler: Key! (click to show/hide)
However, in my experience within the psychological field--the humanistic approach, I assume (should...) is the most prevalent--and that most are really open in talking about these issues.

Also my English is messy right now. Apologies!

Edit: Ninja Soli! Hi Solifuge!
Also I noticed the Key referred to homosexuality and scripture. Err, anyway, dropping the related idea [religion and understanding] with context there.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:25:34 am by Tiruin »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #93209 on: May 18, 2015, 01:32:31 am »

Wait, does this mean I need to revise which pronoun I use to refer to you?
Pages: 1 ... 6212 6213 [6214] 6215 6216 ... 8167