Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5687 5688 [5689] 5690 5691 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9407176 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #85320 on: December 08, 2014, 06:28:42 pm »

Can somebody PM what happened with that mod? I tryed to open the link earlier but didn't have time to read it now I can't open it anymore
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #85321 on: December 08, 2014, 06:38:30 pm »

I'm pretty heavily involved and I think I missed the drama. If I were to guess, it's the kind of thing I was worried about when orientation was added to Dwarf Fortress, I.E eugenics/torture.

So the standard awfulness, but directed towards an already-oppressed real-life minority, which basically removes any redeemability for it.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85322 on: December 08, 2014, 06:40:59 pm »

See link in Smeeprocket's sig.

Imagine the worst possible thing you can do in such a mod.

That happened.
The worst?
I think you underestimate our imagination.  :P

Can somebody PM what happened with that mod? I tryed to open the link earlier but didn't have time to read it now I can't open it anymore
Me too, I can guess what it was but I'd like to be sure before I say anything more.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #85323 on: December 08, 2014, 06:43:05 pm »

So, tales from "workplace of doom #3", Flabort's Tim Hortons Kiosk.
I was right, they're not going to get the manager to come back. She was so sweet... but they promoted someone from a different kiosk into the management position. An energetic young man. His training is going to take all month by the boss's estimate.
The girls were teasing me for not knowing something... I'm pretty sure it's sex related, though, so I don't care or want to know. But it bugs me that they're talking about something loud enough for me to overhear and I can't understand it.
Meanwhile, I was sent from work to the walkin clinic today, for my arm. Not my back or legs that have been killing me, my arm. I have some form of tendinitus and Epiconditus, and will have to go on modified duties for two weeks. On the bright side, no heavy lifting, and no pushing of heavy objects, but on the other side, there are no duties that I think are possible to fill with a bum arm. Even typing one-handed is a pain, but it's better than the repetitive task of using the bagel cutting sliding thing. So back on the bright side, I might be getting christmas break early. On the bad side, it's not bloody likely.

MCheese, how are things at "Workplace of Doom #2"?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85324 on: December 08, 2014, 06:43:44 pm »

I'm saying that he probably lives in a community that accepts anti-trans violence, and either didn't see that discussion, or dismissed it as "SJW rambling".  Another thing to consider is that Gnorm's post history before this happened doesn't indicate any intention of leaving or causing trouble.

This isn't the first time that I've seen something like that here, either.  It's just the most extreme example.   That said, it's not the sort of thing that I see here very often.
You're saying that he expected it to just slide? I'm not buying that. If he was following development of the mod then he knew there was at least one person who would be personally sensitive to it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #85325 on: December 08, 2014, 06:44:53 pm »

See link in Smeeprocket's sig.

Imagine the worst possible thing you can do in such a mod.

That happened.
The worst?
I think you underestimate our imagination.  :P
Making every finger on a creature's hands geldable?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #85326 on: December 08, 2014, 06:46:18 pm »

Gelding is a sort of wound, but it ain't chopping anything, so that won't actually have any affect whatsoever AFAIK.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85327 on: December 08, 2014, 06:53:30 pm »

And Now I Know.
Yes that sounds like good sequel for Oboy, and equally bannable.

Making every finger on a creature's hands geldable?
Only the hands?
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #85328 on: December 08, 2014, 06:54:46 pm »

I'm currently almost failing one of my classes due to a misunderstanding and missing 2 days of school. Why. I'm so stressed...
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #85329 on: December 08, 2014, 07:06:33 pm »

On a side note, if anyone *else* wants to know what happened, the people who were informed can feel free to just copypasta the stuff I wrote if they feel lazy, since I am going to sleep. Which makes it a bit harder to respond.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #85330 on: December 08, 2014, 07:09:23 pm »

Did Toady say anything on the subject or did he just purge the thread in silence? Curious as to his response to his game being used to do...stuff like that. I know it was a mod, but the engine is DF, and Toady made DF.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85331 on: December 08, 2014, 07:13:07 pm »

His only response to it is here, http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146312.msg5862208#msg5862208

He didn't say anything about the mod though,

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #85332 on: December 08, 2014, 07:13:24 pm »

Damn you smjjames!

Did Toady say anything on the subject or did he just purge the thread in silence? Curious as to his response to his game being used to do...stuff like that. I know it was a mod, but the engine is DF, and Toady made DF.
Smeeprocket, I must extend my dearest thanks to you for putting together this project. I have no doubt that it will offer me an endless source of fun.

I removed the thread created by Gnorm as concerns the quote above.  Gnorm has also been removed.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #85333 on: December 08, 2014, 07:14:12 pm »

I suppose he takes the stance that he doesn't have to take a stance, he can just nuke whatever thread on his own forums he wishes to. The mod still exists and I seriously doubt Toady would take any sort of action against it. Operating at that level, rather at the real theft/infringing level, is picking a fight with no winners and setting a horrible precedent that he cares what creative works come out of DF modding in terms of their content.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85334 on: December 08, 2014, 07:18:59 pm »

Damn you smjjames!

Smeeprocket, I must extend my dearest thanks to you for putting together this project. I have no doubt that it will offer me an endless source of fun.

I removed the thread created by Gnorm as concerns the quote above.  Gnorm has also been removed.
I have to say, this is a really good response. "Gnorm has also been removed."

Pages: 1 ... 5687 5688 [5689] 5690 5691 ... 8166