Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5180 5181 [5182] 5183 5184 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430782 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #77715 on: June 29, 2014, 10:39:25 am »

There's twisting interpretation of religious texts.  Lies to make the population feel like they're not the aggressor when they really are, or to convince that they'll be victimized if they don't take up aggression first.  Lies and twisting of half-truths to convince a troubled population that the target population is responsible for their problems.  Lies regarding motives (i.e. we're going to help these people by civilizing/freeing them!).  Stunts and propaganda to stir up nationalistic sentiments far beyond natural levels.  De-humanization of the target population.  Offering economic opportunities to the poor, who feel like signing up is their only path to a better future.  Etc...

All this stuff is in play behind every major war, which probably wouldn't happen otherwise.  And a lot of it is self-fulfilling prophecy (leaders on both sides convince their people of the other's aggression and can say afterwards that they were right).  Yeah, there are plenty of people who feel those tribal instincts a lot deeper than most and/or just love to fight, but not enough to make up armies.

And then factor in that not having some kind of wartime draft or required service period is (I'm pretty sure?) only a recent development in history, and still uncommon.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:42:27 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #77716 on: June 29, 2014, 10:43:44 am »

Well, that, or you just pay your soldiers.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #77717 on: June 29, 2014, 10:47:54 am »

Offering economic opportunities to the poor, who feel like signing up is their only path to a better future.

One of the most common and long-standing complaints about warfare is it's always the poor fighting on behalf of the rich... and a majority of people I've heard from who have done any military service have cited the economic benefits as the biggest factor.  Among my friends, every single one who is/has worked for the military has done so exclusively because it was the best opportunity they could find.  They don't WANT to be contributing to warfare.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #77718 on: June 29, 2014, 10:55:46 am »

I wanna run an ocean-based DnD game, but I'm afraid the people in my other campaigns will RRRAAAAAGEEEE about a further reduced update frequency.

Woe is me.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77719 on: June 29, 2014, 11:26:00 am »

I wanna run an ocean-based DnD game, but I'm afraid the people in my other campaigns will RRRAAAAAGEEEE about a further reduced update frequency.

Woe is me.

What games are you running already? If you do start a game, I claim a spot.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77720 on: June 29, 2014, 11:35:59 am »

Offering economic opportunities to the poor, who feel like signing up is their only path to a better future.

One of the most common and long-standing complaints about warfare is it's always the poor fighting on behalf of the rich... and a majority of people I've heard from who have done any military service have cited the economic benefits as the biggest factor.  Among my friends, every single one who is/has worked for the military has done so exclusively because it was the best opportunity they could find.  They don't WANT to be contributing to warfare.
... Huh. So a basic income could not only cut down on health-care costs (Not only in America where you don't go to the doctor unless you're literally dying, but in other countries, cuts down on the health costs of being poor, such as malnutrition) but also cut down on the army and warfare in general? :V

I don't want to become one of those "This one thing will solve everything!" but it's *really* starting to look like it :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #77721 on: June 29, 2014, 11:39:09 am »

Woe is me.

I also claim a spot.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #77722 on: June 29, 2014, 11:57:34 am »

... Huh. So a basic income could not only cut down on health-care costs (Not only in America where you don't go to the doctor unless you're literally dying, but in other countries, cuts down on the health costs of being poor, such as malnutrition) but also cut down on the army and warfare in general? :V

I don't want to become one of those "This one thing will solve everything!" but it's *really* starting to look like it :I

I'm right there with you.  I blame inequality, which is mostly economic in origin, for the majority of the world's problems.  Almost every problem in the world (in my opinion) can be broken down to a root cause of social hierarchy/concentration of resources poisoning people's cultural perspective or otherwise providing motivations that go against natural behaviors.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77723 on: June 29, 2014, 12:06:59 pm »

Woe is me.

He's "running" at least two other D&D games already. I say "running" because he hasn't updated the one I'm in for some time.

So, don't expect his ocean-based game to last long ::)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77724 on: June 29, 2014, 12:11:17 pm »

I'd offer to run it if I could, but I can't right now.
Just stick with what you've got, Mr. Tawa.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #77725 on: June 29, 2014, 12:18:58 pm »

Sad:  Taking my kids to the pool.  I find pools incredibly boring.  It's like "Ok.... so I'm in water now.... *shrug*"  Going down the big slide or whatever is exciting maybe twice.  Otherwise there's nothing to do but... move around for no reason... except in water... I could move around for no reason whenever/wherever I want, without having to go through the uncomfortable ordeal of acclimating to the water temperature and risking horrible sunburns...

But kids.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #77726 on: June 29, 2014, 12:23:38 pm »

Woe is me.

I also claim a spot.
YOU MUST BE FAMILIAR WITH 3.5 FOOLISH MATRIM MORTAL

Anyway, I have a 3.5 campaign centered around collecting "memories" of the past and piecing history back together. I have another campaign in 4th edition that was originally intended to be high, "epic" fantasy but when that idea bored me, I inserted a plot twist so that I can warp the plot into a new thing.

Then again, the "navally-based" bit is probably a side effect of playing Zelda: Wind Waker, but meh, whatever.

You know what? To heck with it. It's going down. I'll just put some commemorative bump images in my sig, mastahcheese style.

Oh yeah also
He's "running" at least two other D&D games already. I say "running" because he hasn't updated the one I'm in for some time.

So, don't expect his ocean-based game to last long ::)
That's because ShadowHammer has to post. I PM'ed him. Updates will come.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:34:47 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77727 on: June 29, 2014, 12:29:49 pm »

Sad:  Taking my kids to the pool.  I find pools incredibly boring.  It's like "Ok.... so I'm in water now.... *shrug*"  Going down the big slide or whatever is exciting maybe twice.  Otherwise there's nothing to do but... move around for no reason... except in water... I could move around for no reason whenever/wherever I want, without having to go through the uncomfortable ordeal of acclimating to the water temperature and risking horrible sunburns...

But kids.
Pools are exercise for me, with the chance of oogling cute guys in nothing but their skivvies. Going to to the pool just to go to the pool is a little weird, but to do laps? Sure.

For kids, I think it's a mixture of "bath-time but you can mess around?!"* and "this water stuff is so weird!" You never see a kid just move their hands around under water and stare at it, or wave them back and forth on the surface? The resistance is new, especially if they're something like 5-10.

*This one I'm not so sure of, it may be a little patronizing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:34:40 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77728 on: June 29, 2014, 12:38:26 pm »

There has been arguing over whether to homeschool my youngest sister or not.

Can't quite say how I feel about this, but to say that the school system has been failing her is an understatement.

She is very far behind her classmates, but the school's response so far has been underwhelming.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77729 on: June 29, 2014, 01:13:44 pm »

i wanted to make corndogs

i ended up with scrambled eggs

how does this even work
Pages: 1 ... 5180 5181 [5182] 5183 5184 ... 8167