Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4663 4664 [4665] 4666 4667 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9421182 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69960 on: February 08, 2014, 09:08:28 pm »

These days I've become cognizant of the fact that I'm kind of a mean person.
Someday, you'll learn that sometimes you have to be mean. Then you will become me.
I'm already aware of that, but the problem is that over my teenage years I became reflexively mean and withdrawn, even towards people I like or have no reason to have anything against. The best I can usually manage is stoic neutrality, it takes truly unusual circumstances for me to act in a positive way. I almost can't stop doing it, which is what lead to this post. Hard to make friends when I tell them off. I wasn't always like this.

Spend more time reflecting on the fact that everyone has reasons for who they are.  Negativity towards people becomes more difficult the more you internalize this.  Everyone is some combination of nature/nurture.  The only thing that I believe makes some people better than others is those who choose to self-nurture positive qualities.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69961 on: February 08, 2014, 09:35:07 pm »

These days I've become cognizant of the fact that I'm kind of a mean person.
Someday, you'll learn that sometimes you have to be mean. Then you will become me.
I'm already aware of that, but the problem is that over my teenage years I became reflexively mean and withdrawn, even towards people I like or have no reason to have anything against. The best I can usually manage is stoic neutrality, it takes truly unusual circumstances for me to act in a positive way. I almost can't stop doing it, which is what lead to this post. Hard to make friends when I tell them off. I wasn't always like this.
If you want to change your attitude, try deliberately acting nice whenever possible. It might take a while, but you might end up acting nicer towards people.

Edit: Quotes.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:42:13 pm by Elephant Parade »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69962 on: February 08, 2014, 09:42:46 pm »

I MISSED CHEST DAY
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69963 on: February 08, 2014, 09:45:27 pm »

...the heck is chest day?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69964 on: February 08, 2014, 09:45:33 pm »

Personally, I wish I could be meaner.
Even when I absolutely hate someone's guts, if I can't manage to avoid them I'll still be polite and unassuming, right up to the point where I snap completely which is rarely ever a good thing. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #69965 on: February 08, 2014, 09:54:05 pm »

I wish I could appear less snappish.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69966 on: February 08, 2014, 10:40:20 pm »

EVERY DAY IS CHEST DAY
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #69967 on: February 08, 2014, 10:46:20 pm »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69968 on: February 08, 2014, 10:52:06 pm »

EVERY DAY IS CHEST HAIR DAY
Fix'd.

Also, MSH: The best thing you can do is stop before you say anything, and think tactically about your conversations. Yeah, I know it sounds odd, but you have to realize that your words have power, and once you consciously think about that, it changes the way you approach everyone. If someone questions you about taking too long to respond, just tell them, "I want to make sure I say exactly what I mean," and then say exactly what you mean, nothing more, nothing less. Every time. It takes some practice, but you'll get the hang of it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #69969 on: February 08, 2014, 11:11:23 pm »

EVERY DAY IS CHEST HAIR DAY
Fix'd.

Also, MSH: The best thing you can do is stop before you say anything, and think tactically about your conversations. Yeah, I know it sounds odd, but you have to realize that your words have power, and once you consciously think about that, it changes the way you approach everyone. If someone questions you about taking too long to respond, just tell them, "I want to make sure I say exactly what I mean," and then say exactly what you mean, nothing more, nothing less. Every time. It takes some practice, but you'll get the hang of it.

Yeah, I also fully endorse this.

Beware, though.  That pause really, really pisses some people off.  Never quite figured it out, but there are some personality types who respond to it with a deep distrust and annoyance and will never be made to understand or tolerate it.  I have a co-worker who is one of these people.  I'm as nice as I can possibly be to her, whilst not backing down from her crap.  I don't know how I could possibly handle the situation any better.  Yet, if I had to work with her more than two days out of the week, one of us would probably be relocated or fired, because her opposition to me causes that much trouble.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #69971 on: February 08, 2014, 11:29:32 pm »

So apparently the creator of flappy bird is pulling the plug on it due to the large amount of abuse he's been getting from the gaming community over it. I never liked it/played it myself but still...
It's FEF, not FEOF

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #69972 on: February 08, 2014, 11:54:11 pm »

I think he just doesn't know how to deal with being an internet-popular person. :/

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #69973 on: February 08, 2014, 11:57:07 pm »

He's from Vietnam and is making over a billion of the local currency (dong IIRC) a day, IIRC. Something like that happening suddenly can wreak havoc on your lifestyle.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #69974 on: February 09, 2014, 12:00:41 am »

I could make a billion dong a day if I wanted to.  8)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 4663 4664 [4665] 4666 4667 ... 8167