Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4588 4589 [4590] 4591 4592 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9437171 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #68835 on: January 07, 2014, 01:52:47 am »

The lack of context a new page provides made me believe that it has just now become considered what it actually is in the US. Which made me sad. Learning that it isn't so didn't make me any less sad.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68836 on: January 07, 2014, 01:58:18 am »

What's odd and depressing to me, is that there are many people that devote their lives to advancing this stuff, but their successes aren't really recognized publicly, and the advancements just sort of slip in, seeming as if they were always there, while the people that worked for them remain marginalized and are still regarded as crazy.

It's strange that people will not recognize ideas that they agree with if they hear it from the mouth of a "wacko".

Edit:  Yeah, the new page thing is frustrating. x3

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68837 on: January 07, 2014, 02:07:50 am »

It shouldn't be hard for anyone to comprehend. A compulsion, of any kind, to make somebody do something against their will by leveraging some social edict with the implied penalty of ostracism is heinous.

Be it a woman exploiting the shit out of a guy she is just stringing along, "because its all just a game anyway", or a man sexually abusing the woman he is supposed to love, and saying that because they are married such things are beyond question-- both are sick excesses, and both cross the same basic intellectual line.

That being, that using a societal more to force someone to do something for you -- anything at all-- is inexcusably sick. Doubly so, when there is a pretext that one of the persons loves the other.  "If you loved me, you do this."

Given that it is still very much standard practice in US courts for women to pwn the shit out of their male lovers in basically any dispute in which satelite photographs and private investigators with close up telephoto pictures and forensic evidence clearly demonstrating the man's case aren't present, that inch is a token gesture at best.  A very promising one, but equality is still a very long way off. 

Personally, I love that women fought for the right to serve in the military.  I am sickened that they don't have the same zeal for demanding selective service though. It is hypocrisy to claim to aim for equality, then purposefully stop short of the line.  Arguments about "for the children" are arguments for women to be objects of reproductive notion; either you want equality, or you don't. Equal treatment in all things precludes the notion of preferential treatment, in any one thing. They are mutually exclusive.

Until we as a species truly embrace that, and continue to cling to tired and worn petards about "different but equal" that include lists of preferrential treatments for one or the other for compromises, we will forever fall short of the goal.

The wheel will turn, and the stink will stay the same: Men do X, Women do Y.

We are PEOPLE.  That is what is important.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68838 on: January 07, 2014, 03:18:15 am »

I'm thinking of breaking up with my partner...
We haven't been going out all that long, though I have become very attached to him and he does make me happy and I don't really want to leave him, but he did something I'm certainly not comfortable with and not exactly sure what I'm meant to do right now. Tough spot, relationships are hard, fuck this.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68839 on: January 07, 2014, 03:20:59 am »

Talk to him about it. That's what you're meant to do about it. If you can't resolve it after that, then you consider more serious options.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68840 on: January 07, 2014, 03:25:33 am »

Yea, I guess that would be the sensible thing to do. Although he can guilt trip me into anything, so it will be interesting to see if I can put my foot down... Also, and I don't want anybody to take this the wrong way because it is nowhere near as bad as it sounds, but I do feel somewhat intimidated by him right now. Maybe I will feel better about negotiations tomorrow.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #68841 on: January 07, 2014, 03:39:46 am »

Gender, gender roles, social programming, and sexuality in general have been a festering sore on the human race for at least 2000 years that I know of.
I agree, it certainly is a thing to be sad about. 2000 years, at least, and we haven't gained even an inch of progress.
Dear lord man, if women in legal subservience to women equal under the law is not even an inch, what would a foot be? I really want to know, because I cannot even conceive. Also, I could go on about how being equal doesn't mean being forced to do what everyone else does, but I'm tired.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #68842 on: January 07, 2014, 03:51:15 am »

Still waiting for motivation to return :C

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #68843 on: January 07, 2014, 04:19:53 am »

Well, about that omegle stuff... It's kind of nice that it sparked a debate on gender role on society, but whent I said "I wanna be a girl so people talk nice to me like that", I was specifically refering to the flirtatious part.

I didn't need to pretend to be a girl to have about half a dozen conversation about all kind of stuff, including Void Metastability Events.

But this guy more or less tried to get into my pants, and as a guy I'm too straight to not be weirded out (and take notes). Reason for which I sort of wish I was not lying, so that conversation wouldn't be gross or makes me feel guilty.
I don't know how to write this without sounding gay as hell :/
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68844 on: January 07, 2014, 04:24:55 am »

Hell is red, not pink. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #68845 on: January 07, 2014, 05:22:57 am »

Yea, I guess that would be the sensible thing to do. Although he can guilt trip me into anything, so it will be interesting to see if I can put my foot down... Also, and I don't want anybody to take this the wrong way because it is nowhere near as bad as it sounds, but I do feel somewhat intimidated by him right now. Maybe I will feel better about negotiations tomorrow.
Get a mutual friend or two to mediate. Might help with the guilt tripping.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68846 on: January 07, 2014, 05:35:08 am »

-snip-
So, you want a woman to step up to you and initiate flirting, unless I'm reading you wrong?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #68847 on: January 07, 2014, 07:50:21 am »

Pipes may be freezing up... I haven't seen this problem since I was 10 years old.

It's good that I'm working from home, because I don't know if I'd be able to take a shower.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:53:00 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #68848 on: January 07, 2014, 08:13:31 am »

Still waiting for motivation to return :C
I believe you should do something other than just waiting for it to fly by. :/

Edit:
Well, about that omegle stuff... It's kind of nice that it sparked a debate on gender role on society, but whent I said "I wanna be a girl so people talk nice to me like that", I was specifically refering to the flirtatious part.

I didn't need to pretend to be a girl to have about half a dozen conversation about all kind of stuff, including Void Metastability Events.

But this guy more or less tried to get into my pants, and as a guy I'm too straight to not be weirded out (and take notes). Reason for which I sort of wish I was not lying, so that conversation wouldn't be gross or makes me feel guilty.
I don't know how to write this without sounding gay as hell :/
Ehh? Whoever presumed you were like that? >_>

Stoopid labels and their abuse.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68849 on: January 07, 2014, 08:59:04 am »

I'm thinking of breaking up with my partner...
We haven't been going out all that long, though I have become very attached to him and he does make me happy and I don't really want to leave him, but he did something I'm certainly not comfortable with and not exactly sure what I'm meant to do right now. Tough spot, relationships are hard, fuck this.

Talk to him about it. That's what you're meant to do about it. If you can't resolve it after that, then you consider more serious options.
+1
In  my recent rocky patch with my lady, it was solved by talking. The fundamental part of a relationship is communication.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 4588 4589 [4590] 4591 4592 ... 8167