Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4589 4590 [4591] 4592 4593 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435307 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #68850 on: January 07, 2014, 01:34:38 pm »

As an outside observer, I can attest to the fact that pacifism is the best approach when dealing with relationships - regardless of the desired outcome.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #68851 on: January 07, 2014, 02:27:35 pm »

Yep. If none of that helps, consider that you can typically escalate very easily but de-escalation is very difficult. Which is to say, in conflict resolution, you can go from diplomacy to war but generally not from war to diplomacy. Even when all sides are tired of fighting it's hard to put the weapons down. What looks like diplomacy at the end of war is typically just capitulation.

In a one-on-one argument, that means talking carefully and not raising your voices, trying to keep calm, not making personal attacks, not complaining in the form of "I don't like this about you" but "I don't like it when you do this". But if that doesn't work, or if the other person escalates and you can't stop it, you can shift to argument and ultimatum.

It's just that you want to start with the smooth stuff, the things that you can retreat from. If you start with the ultimatum "Change this or I leave right now because my bags are packed and in the trunk of the car" there's nowhere left to go.

Depending on what he did, and whether he will actually change that behavior, and whether you can live with it if he doesn't, that might be what you end up needing to do though.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68852 on: January 07, 2014, 04:50:02 pm »

Yea, I've been taking some counseling from Descan and I think what happened was largely my fault. I'm not going to leave him over what I could have prevented, so I guess it is going to take a bit of conversation, and a bit of time to get over things.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68853 on: January 07, 2014, 04:53:21 pm »

Ah, okay. If it was your fault, don't beat yourself up too much about it. Just learn from it and do better next time :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68854 on: January 07, 2014, 05:28:16 pm »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68855 on: January 07, 2014, 06:04:33 pm »

You just need some vintage 1960s haircare products.

Dippity-do would probably do the trick, but then your hair would double as a bicycle gelmet. (That and you need a sound FX app in your pocket.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:10:48 pm by wierd »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68856 on: January 07, 2014, 06:18:18 pm »

Great! :3

Now all I need is hair. x3

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68857 on: January 07, 2014, 06:28:14 pm »

Maybe you're just not kawaii desu subato enough.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68858 on: January 07, 2014, 06:40:48 pm »

No, Oggs has issues about her hair being.... suboptimal... to her wishes.

But if it's any consolation Oggs, the added stress my new corporate overlords are subjecting me to is causing my hair to fall out radically too. At this rate, I'll be reaching for the rogaine by the end of the month. (I think half my hair is now on the foorboards of my car. For real.)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68859 on: January 07, 2014, 07:03:05 pm »

.O.

That's horrible.  I don't think I've ever heard of someone losing hair like that.  Sometimes I wake up with more hair on the pillow than normal, but not like that.

Edit: I don't mean to make you worry.  I think you might want to deal with it sooner rather than later, unless you don't mind losing it.  Some people look great with no hair.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:05:41 pm by Ogdibus »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68860 on: January 07, 2014, 07:21:10 pm »

It is DEFFINATELY thinner on top than it was a month ago, and that coincides quite well when the new mandatory OT policies went into effect, and I started losing sleep and freetime. No clearly visible bald patches yet, but considerably thinned out. I find furballs on my comb basically every morning now. No good. No good. I knew stress made animals loose fur.. but I thought it was a wivestale in humans. *shrug.

If I were to start juicing with expensive hormones in a can, it would need to be soon, or I'll start resembling a dark age monk.

Maybe I'll pick up some tonight.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #68861 on: January 07, 2014, 07:25:27 pm »

You naturally lose some hair every day. I tie my hair back which means I also end up with a lot of broken hairs. But if there's a noticeable change I'm sure that's not normal. I've heard stress can affect hair and skin health.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68862 on: January 07, 2014, 07:29:08 pm »

That explains why seems to come and go.

In my family, hair loss seems to run on both sides, for both sexes. It seems that a lot of us end up wearing hats as we get older.  x3

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68863 on: January 07, 2014, 07:38:58 pm »

I have long hair, and am used to having it long, so I know what normal shed looks like. I am losing enough every day to make about 6in of 1mm thick cordage every day now. That is considerably more than normal shed rate.

Did I mention that I hate corporations?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #68864 on: January 07, 2014, 07:50:08 pm »

It's 2014. If you go bald you have to become a Shadowrunner.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 ... 4589 4590 [4591] 4592 4593 ... 8167