Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4518 4519 [4520] 4521 4522 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428788 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67785 on: November 23, 2013, 10:15:41 am »

So even if I get into a university I might not be able to pay the backbreaking tuition. I feel very stressed and depressed :/

edit: how the hell do people pay $50000 per year to go to college in the us wth
Start at a community college and do as many prerequisites courses as you can before the university. My associate's degree cost a total of about $10k (including lab fees for programming and the extra semester I took because of my divorce), most of which was paid by the federal government.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #67786 on: November 23, 2013, 10:49:09 am »

my mother called, she needed cash

it wasn't a big amount but i'm not ever going to see it again

it'd be fine if she cared enough to wish me a happy birthday yesterday

i can't even muster the effort to rage about her antics anymore.

If it helps to cheer you at all, your post reads like a vers libre haiku.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67787 on: November 23, 2013, 12:28:24 pm »

Don't give it to her then? She shows a lack of care, respond in kind.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #67788 on: November 23, 2013, 01:00:03 pm »

So even if I get into a university I might not be able to pay the backbreaking tuition. I feel very stressed and depressed :/

edit: how the hell do people pay $50000 per year to go to college in the us wth
Start at a community college and do as many prerequisites courses as you can before the university. My associate's degree cost a total of about $10k (including lab fees for programming and the extra semester I took because of my divorce), most of which was paid by the federal government.

Pretty sure that last part won't help. Skyrunner is not American, which IIRC is required to get federal grants.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67789 on: November 23, 2013, 01:05:48 pm »

Frankly, Sky, you're better off staying in Korea or going to college in Europe if you can't afford to either pay for US fees outright or obtain permanent US residency in the state that your prospective college is in. The costs are too high otherwise.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #67790 on: November 23, 2013, 01:06:55 pm »

Go to Scandinavia, you probably get paid to study there or something.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #67791 on: November 23, 2013, 01:08:06 pm »

Computer keeps shutting itself down when I try to play Crusader Kings or minecraft T_T
It's FEF, not FEOF

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #67792 on: November 23, 2013, 01:23:04 pm »

Computer keeps shutting itself down when I try to play Crusader Kings or minecraft T_T

Either your graphics card is overheating or your computer tries to tell you something.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67793 on: November 23, 2013, 01:47:47 pm »

Don't give it to her then? She shows a lack of care, respond in kind.

heh

i really don't need my family to dislike me any more than it does now

according to some of them, i crushed their hopes and dreams with my mere existence so fuck their noise (it's not like i'm going to get the fuck out of this country as soon as i amass enough currency)

at least my father's decent. he lives in the ass end of nowhere though, i might drag him along if he's up to it

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67794 on: November 23, 2013, 01:56:05 pm »

Once again at the risk of being a bore, I feel compelled to fly the flag. Skyrunner could study mathematics at undergraduate level for just under 30,000 dollars each year at the most prestigious university in Scotland (by that I mean Edinburgh), while other subjects would be cheaper.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:58:28 pm by Owlbread »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67795 on: November 23, 2013, 02:20:20 pm »

Once again at the risk of being a bore, I feel compelled to fly the flag. Skyrunner could study mathematics at undergraduate level for just under 30,000 dollars each year at the most prestigious university in Scotland (by that I mean Edinburgh), while other subjects would be cheaper.
And if you plan on going to the UK for university education, do actually go to Scotland, since you have to pay something like half the fees of English universities. Wales is also pretty good I guess, but you'd be best off with Scotland.
Or move there for 3 years and get it for free.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 02:23:26 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67796 on: November 23, 2013, 02:52:08 pm »

Yes, or live in another EU country but not England. At the moment other EU students get it free too. You would be paying 3000 pounds a year or so as a citizen of this country, but the government pays that for you. To put this in perspective we're talking the difference of tens of thousands of dollars, provided you can somehow get a temporary visa for work here, get a permanent one for work then live here for three years.

Edinburgh is ranked 17th in the world by the 2013 QS rankings. In terms of rankings across the board it is usually around the 11th-15th in the world mark.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:03:29 pm by Owlbread »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67797 on: November 23, 2013, 03:59:30 pm »

Yeah, Scottish students get free university education. English have to pay student fees, with a maximum of 9000 pounds, meaning all the universities charge 9000 pounds year. And then you have to add student accomadation and food and arrghhghhhhh so muchhhhh
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67798 on: November 23, 2013, 04:08:13 pm »

The other thing is that English students have to pay student fees in Scotland, same with the Welsh, Northern Irish etc. If however they are English "immigrants" to Scotland and actually live here permanently then that's absolutely fine, they're Scots by law so they needn't pay.

But yes, if anyone else is going to start University and is concerned about cost, take my advice and become a Scotsman (or Scotswoman), if only as a temporary thing. You won't make a better choice.

I don't quite know if this is the case for all subjects, but I believe Scottish languages students are also entitled to at least 1 free year abroad in a foreign university or working. That may actually be the case for all students but I would have to research that.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 04:19:29 pm by Owlbread »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67799 on: November 23, 2013, 04:16:37 pm »

Croatia gets free uni's too. Foreign student quotas aren't high but if you have decent grades you should get in since there are national tests which give far more points. First year is free, and if you get all the points (that is, pass all the classes (grade isn't important) then your next year is free too, and so on. If you pass some but not all then you pay on a per-point basis, the price itself varies based on uni but it's not higher than 2.5k Euros I think for medical schools, and in case of a technical one it's just slightly over 1k Euros.

Plus a good part of your food cost is paid for by the state and the living costs aren't all that high.

And another bonus is that it's now an EU member, so there's that I guess.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 4518 4519 [4520] 4521 4522 ... 8167