Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4490 4491 [4492] 4493 4494 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423833 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67365 on: November 08, 2013, 01:34:40 am »

I wish I could help people. But realize I fail everytime.

I would love to help people with their problems seeing as how I'm alright with my own, and have nothing obstructing my view.

But then I just fail along the way, or either get ignored.

I'm not sure if I will just give up or not.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #67366 on: November 08, 2013, 02:16:39 am »

Four English Literature classes in one semester = Truckload of end-of-semester shit to do.

Right now I have ten passages I have to analyze.  That one's not too bad, each passage is probably a half a page of work and most of them are straight up laden with juicy meaning to discuss.

I also have a five page research paper on the fabliau tradition.  I'm probably going to talk mainly about English fabliau and Chaucer, and how Chaucer used the sort of hybrid fabliau/romance Reeve's tale to dissect the cultural assumptions of the two preceding tales.

Then I have a speech to give!  Eight to ten minutes long, I'm going to follow my usual skeptical tradition and drop a critical-thinking hammer on a wildly popular but idiotic thing.  Last time it was Kony 2012, this time it's Waiting for Superman.

I also have to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

And next week I have to write like six to eight pages on the style of The Importance of Being Earnest.  That one's gonna kill me I already know.

And there's another ten passages to analyze at some point in the future.

And a photo-montage about a civic issue.

And a "radical revision" of an English Lit text.  I actually have what I think is a good idea, two sort of.  My current favorite is a letter to Hythloday from a sailor who found his own island with a polar-opposite setup as Utopia.  Extreme individualism.  Not advocating that, of course, but establishing a tension that tries to highlight how both have elements that attract and repel us and that neither of them is representative of any sort of "natural" state of being.  The other one is a modernization of Faustus where Faustus gets loaned a bunch of money, has all kinds of lofty ambitions, and realizes when it's gone and the sharks are coming that he didn't accomplish anything with it.  Not so sure about that one, not sure what meaningful things I'm really trying to say with it.

And there's probably even more shit to do that I've repressed :c
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:19:12 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67367 on: November 08, 2013, 04:03:50 am »

I just don't know what to do with my life.

I wish someone were just telling me what direction and focus to have, what greater aspiration I should actually be working towards.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67368 on: November 08, 2013, 07:49:48 pm »

SCP mod.
If the liquid is what I think it is, people probably didn't think it was a bug.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67369 on: November 08, 2013, 08:04:47 pm »

I wish someone were just telling me what direction and focus to have, what greater aspiration I should actually be working towards.
I've definitely felt like this at times, but take it from me, you really don't want this.
If someone is telling you what exactly what to do with yourself or your life, they don't have your best interests at heart, they have their best interests at heart, or they're telling you to do things they think is in your best interest (which in my experience can be so fantastically far off the mark that this is often worse).

Now if you do want someone telling you what to do, in general I advise you to pick a direction to send yourself in that doesn't seem too bad, focus on short term goals over longer term ones (that is to say, don't worry too much about longer term goals or how they're going to work out, focus on setting one foot in front of the other), and don't get too invested in one particular thing. Try different interests, meet different people, explore different options, diversify.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67370 on: November 08, 2013, 08:32:43 pm »

...I'm sad because of all your sads, everyone.  :-\ Drop all the sads and take a moment off being sad. But be sad when you should be sad, not anger or anything else. Nothing stops you from being sad, but nothing stops you from being happy, too.

For serious. I was gonna post something to this thread then I read all the sad posts and now I just feel sympathy, which is better than sadness I guess.

Group hug guys.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67371 on: November 08, 2013, 08:35:13 pm »

...I'm sad because of all your sads, everyone.  :-\ Drop all the sads and take a moment off being sad. But be sad when you should be sad, not anger or anything else. Nothing stops you from being sad, but nothing stops you from being happy, too.
For serious. I was gonna post something to this thread then I read all the sad posts and now I just feel sympathy, which is better than sadness I guess.
Group hug guys.
^This is wisdom.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67372 on: November 08, 2013, 08:39:23 pm »

SCP mod.
I think Putnam meant that it happened with any liquid, not just 447.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67373 on: November 08, 2013, 09:32:35 pm »

I've definitely felt like this at times, but take it from me, you really don't want this.
If someone is telling you what exactly what to do with yourself or your life, they don't have your best interests at heart, they have their best interests at heart, or they're telling you to do things they think is in your best interest (which in my experience can be so fantastically far off the mark that this is often worse).

Now if you do want someone telling you what to do, in general I advise you to pick a direction to send yourself in that doesn't seem too bad, focus on short term goals over longer term ones (that is to say, don't worry too much about longer term goals or how they're going to work out, focus on setting one foot in front of the other), and don't get too invested in one particular thing. Try different interests, meet different people, explore different options, diversify.

It's just that I feel I don't have my own best interests in heart alot of the time. I just feel so devoid of motivation and purpose everyday, that I'd feel more comfortable if someone were actually slaving me to their own ends.

Of course, that's just a heat of the moment kinda depressed fantasy. Gotta make my twice weekly visit to the Sad Thread afterall.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #67374 on: November 08, 2013, 09:46:02 pm »

SCP mod.

Any liquid, including the blood of the creature who got killed.

I fixed it and now it works as intended in the way that you're thinking :V

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #67375 on: November 09, 2013, 03:04:38 am »

Some 19 year old kid in my hometown decided to steal his dad's truck, and when the police tried to pull him over, his response was to flee, ram a couple cop cars, and drive it off the road into one of the busiest parts of campus. It's a "lucky" thing that this was during class - nobody except the driver's dead, and for once I can't really fault the police for that. Evidently, his dad refused to buy him cigarettes (I assume the problem here was money, since you can legally buy cigarettes at 19).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:08:48 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #67376 on: November 09, 2013, 06:22:00 am »

Looking at scholarships, I have this sinking feeling that I'm eligible for a whopping zero of them. :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #67377 on: November 09, 2013, 07:12:56 am »

I've got quite a bad feeling I want to try to get off my chest now. I don't know if it will help but it's worth a shot.

I guess writing all that down hasn't actually helped much. Maybe it will at least be educational for someone.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67378 on: November 09, 2013, 08:21:20 am »

I've got quite a bad feeling I want to try to get off my chest now. I don't know if it will help but it's worth a shot.

I guess writing all that down hasn't actually helped much. Maybe it will at least be educational for someone.

I take it there's no such thing as CPS in Czech?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #67379 on: November 09, 2013, 09:25:31 am »

That depends. What is CPS?
Pages: 1 ... 4490 4491 [4492] 4493 4494 ... 8167