Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4473 4474 [4475] 4476 4477 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466037 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67110 on: October 31, 2013, 01:34:30 pm »

So just say, "Hey, I do this every year, get me on antibiotics and get me the hell out of here." No wasted time that way.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67111 on: October 31, 2013, 01:37:37 pm »

I actually feel quite good relative to the other times I've had pneumonia and also I have this recurring fear that I'm going to go to the doctor and they'll be all "LOL what are you complaining about you fucking coward," but at this point I'm clocking in at Looks Like Pneumonia once a year...

Ughghghghgh fuck fine I'll give them a call and see if they have any appointments.
If you're at the stage of sickness I think you're at, you probably aren't going to get the kind of medication that could deal with it without seeing a doctor.

When I had Might Be Pneumonia, I got better after a couple weeks of taking the strongest anti-mucous medication you can get over the counter several times a day, but even then it was very gradual and I'm fairly certain I used it far longer than is recommended.
So just say, "Hey, I do this every year, get me on antibiotics and get me the hell out of here." No wasted time that way.
Antibiotics are not necessarily what is required for this. I don't like being insistent about it, but there are few worse threats to public health than people treating antibiotics like some kind of panacea. I know of doctors who give out antibiotics like candy to everybody who brings their insignificantly sick children in just to shut them up, when they most likely have a viral disease.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67112 on: October 31, 2013, 01:51:58 pm »

Yeah, see, I've been on that since the very beginning--because I knew that I was having an In Danger of Pneumonia moment.  So I feel pretty okay!  My lungs are finally clearing!  Etc., etc.

Well, anyway, I now have an over-the-phone appointment with a doctor in two and a half hours.  Hooray.  Fuck the American medical system.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67113 on: October 31, 2013, 02:34:10 pm »

people who are actually gifted tend to underachieve because fuck getting ahead of the others it's a horrible bother and then you've got unrealistic expectations slapped on you as a label, and if you screw up just once you'll get an incredible amount of shit flying your way (and trust me, you will screw up)
Yup, I'm one of these "gifted" students. I could do pretty well if I applied myself the way other people do, but I'd much rather just coast at the level of everyone else. Because seriously, fuck that. I don't want people to expect miracles from me. I don't want people to think I'm stupid or lazy, but I also don't want to be held up to some kinda level.
It's a fine balance, but I think I'm doing it well. The key is using words that are big enough other people wouldn't use them in conversation, but not so big they don't understand.

Also, letting test and quiz grades balance out the homework I don't do.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #67114 on: October 31, 2013, 03:40:21 pm »

people who are actually gifted tend to underachieve because fuck getting ahead of the others it's a horrible bother and then you've got unrealistic expectations slapped on you as a label, and if you screw up just once you'll get an incredible amount of shit flying your way (and trust me, you will screw up)
Yup, I'm one of these "gifted" students. I could do pretty well if I applied myself the way other people do, but I'd much rather just coast at the level of everyone else. Because seriously, fuck that. I don't want people to expect miracles from me. I don't want people to think I'm stupid or lazy, but I also don't want to be held up to some kinda level.
It's a fine balance, but I think I'm doing it well. The key is using words that are big enough other people wouldn't use them in conversation, but not so big they don't understand.

I was (well, still kinda am) like that until it started to screw me over in the long run - I didn't have to study, I'd just write the test and get an A/B.

Then I got lifted a year, stuff started getting difficult and I pretty much got stranded with zero skill at learning.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67115 on: October 31, 2013, 03:51:43 pm »

I was (well, still kinda am) like that until it started to screw me over in the long run - I didn't have to study, I'd just write the test and get an A/B.

Then I got lifted a year, stuff started getting difficult and I pretty much got stranded with zero skill at learning.
Yup. That's why I'm content to perform below what I'm technically capable of.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #67116 on: October 31, 2013, 04:00:59 pm »

You know, in my last year of medical school I was having lunch with some people from first year, who had an anatomy exam the following day. One of them joked that he hadn't studied because he was "the typical asshole who studied everything the night before and got full marks nonwithstanding". I chuckled at his joke, but while I was going upstairs to my room, I suddenly realized that I had said pretty much the same bullshit years prior when I was in his shoes, and thus, that he fucking meant it.
I took no pleasure seeing him go down in flames the next day. I knew that feeling, too.

The moral of the story is that you should probably aim to quit that attitude because the longer it takes you, the more it will hurt when the time comes. But then again, odds are that this is not a moral that can be learned without suffering it on your own skin. So take it as you like.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #67117 on: October 31, 2013, 04:17:17 pm »

You know, in my last year of medical school I was having lunch with some people from first year, who had an anatomy exam the following day. One of them joked that he hadn't studied because he was "the typical asshole who studied everything the night before and got full marks nonwithstanding". I chuckled at his joke, but while I was going upstairs to my room, I suddenly realized that I had said pretty much the same bullshit years prior when I was in his shoes, and thus, that he fucking meant it.
I took no pleasure seeing him go down in flames the next day. I knew that feeling, too.

The moral of the story is that you should probably aim to quit that attitude because the longer it takes you, the more it will hurt when the time comes. But then again, odds are that this is not a moral that can be learned without suffering it on your own skin. So take it as you like.

Anyone in Med School trying to learn anatomy the last minute should be left to his own devices until he purges himself from the gene pool or changes his stupid ways. The sheer volume of stuff to memorize - and no rules behind it to figure out - would require someone with eidetic memory inhabiting a truck-sized brain.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67118 on: October 31, 2013, 05:12:04 pm »

I'm suddenly remembering that my mom thinks that any self-respecting man would dump a bisexual woman, because you just don't want bisexuals.  What does she think a lesbian would do?  I don't know.

How cruel. . . I don't know how to feel about it, or what to do.  I'm tired of people telling me I'm categorically unlovable.  It's such a nasty thing.  And I haven't even told her yet. . . about anything, really.  Yuck ]:  She started complaining that I was too butch back when I was in elementary school, and now I know I shouldn't talk to her about these things but I keep trying to suggest that maybe, maybe, maybe...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67119 on: October 31, 2013, 05:14:39 pm »

I'm suddenly remembering that my mom thinks that any self-respecting man would dump a bisexual woman, because you just don't want bisexuals.  What does she think a lesbian would do?  I don't know.
That's crazy. Everybody knows that men like bisexual women. Most will say that it's actually lesbians they like, but there's no point in asking them out if they're not interested in guys is there. *blatant stereotyping*

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #67120 on: October 31, 2013, 05:17:14 pm »

How cruel. . . I don't know how to feel about it, or what to do.  I'm tired of people telling me I'm categorically unlovable.  It's such a nasty thing.  And I haven't even told her yet. . . about anything, really.  Yuck ]:  She started complaining that I was too butch back when I was in elementary school, and now I know I shouldn't talk to her about these things but I keep trying to suggest that maybe, maybe, maybe...

a) She's wrong.
b) Don't tell her. It's not like you need her to know who you're attracted to, and you most certainly don't need to take more shit from your family. If she asks directly, you can answer if you want, but otherwise there's no real point.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67121 on: October 31, 2013, 05:21:14 pm »

a) She's wrong.
b) Don't tell her. It's not like you need her to know who you're attracted to, and you most certainly don't need to take more shit from your family. If she asks directly, you can answer if you want, but otherwise there's no real point.
Alternatively, you could, you know, actually stand up for yourself.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67122 on: October 31, 2013, 05:22:27 pm »

She's also tried to have conversations with me about whether or not the parents of my gay friends are disappointed, and how we should feel sorry for them because they didn't get what they wanted.  Then she gets mad when I get mad.

And yes, she's asked me point-blank if I was a lesbian.  I told her no, because I am not a lesbian.  That satisfied her for a while but she still thinks it's weird that I'd consider living with queers because eeeew.

I don't want to stand up to her, because I don't want her to stop loving me.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #67123 on: October 31, 2013, 05:26:32 pm »

She's also tried to have conversations with me about whether or not the parents of my gay friends are disappointed, and how we should feel sorry for them because they didn't get what they wanted.  Then she gets mad when I get mad.

And yes, she's asked me point-blank if I was a lesbian.  I told her no, because I am not a lesbian.  That satisfied her for a while but she still thinks it's weird that I'd consider living with queers because eeeew.

I don't want to stand up to her, because I don't want her to stop loving me.

If she does love you, she won't stop because of that. Otherwise she is just employing emotional blackmail and you have nothing left to lose.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67124 on: October 31, 2013, 05:32:02 pm »

If your relationship with your blood relatives is different than it is with everybody else just because they're blood, you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of getting shit from people you'd be better off without.

I've seen how you react to bigoted people on here. Why does your mother get such a free pass?
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 4473 4474 [4475] 4476 4477 ... 8167