Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4396 4397 [4398] 4399 4400 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9424357 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65955 on: September 24, 2013, 11:32:31 pm »

Bloody hell. I've got no idea what you should do then. My experience with my Dad is with a man who is a lot like me in many ways, but in other ways is in no way like me. Dealing with him is usually just standing up and staring him down when he blows up and making sure to keep my arguments with my mum seperate from my arguments with him.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65956 on: September 24, 2013, 11:35:08 pm »

I think I'm going to be the one person here to say that I don't think these are generally good ideas.

Having some distance might be a good idea, just so you don't have to put up with so much BS, but really... Wars of passive aggression rarely end well.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65957 on: September 24, 2013, 11:35:24 pm »

If your relationship with them is toxic, you have no obligation to maintain it for their sakes.

They've still got most of my stuff, I can't drive yet, and I don't have the social circle I'd need to break it off.

Hence complaining about losing what was supposed to be a fun weekly event.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65958 on: September 24, 2013, 11:35:53 pm »

Why do you need a social circle to break it off?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65959 on: September 24, 2013, 11:36:19 pm »

I can actually sympathize with the loneliness bit. I miss my friends, and haven't been able to spend time with them since I moved about a month ago. It's hard for me to justify the cost of a trip out to see them right now, and I don't know anyone close to my new place aside from family. Since I'm working from home now too, and not currently enrolled in any classes, I don't have the coworker or student/professor socialization I used to either, which makes meeting people even harder. The housemates have invited me out to the bar several times, but I'm really not a Bar/Club kind of person... tried a number of times, and it's definitely not my scene. I've never been very good at reaching out to new people either; if after a few offers to do something, someone doesn't approach me once or twice, I tend to think they aren't interested, or don't really care one way or another.

I didn't even notice it at first, until I noticed all the characteristic signs of depression, and the serious dive in my enthusiasm and energy level. God, I slept in until noon today, and I got to sleep at a reasonable time last night. I never used to get lonely like this... what's the deal, brain?

I never said cut it off with your mother. Visit her, tell her you love her, do whatever, Just don't acknoweldge your father in any way.

That seems... kinda petty. I have a shaky relationship with my folks too, but I try to at least humor them, spend time with them during holidays and such, and help them out around the house. Best not to burn a bridge when you don't have to.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65960 on: September 24, 2013, 11:38:01 pm »

I never said cut it off with your mother. Visit her, tell her you love her, do whatever, Just don't acknoweldge your father in any way.

That seems... kinda petty. I have a shaky relationship with my folks too, but I try to at least humor them, spend time with them during holidays and such, and help them out around the house. Best not to burn a bridge when you don't have to.
What I meant was to show that you are willing to burn that bridge if you have to. The notion that their children are perfectly capable of existing without their input and might in fact be happier without them in the picture always comes as a shock to them.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65961 on: September 24, 2013, 11:39:21 pm »

Heh, haven't talked with my parents in about a year or so now.
Not going to start again any time soon.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65962 on: September 24, 2013, 11:41:13 pm »

What made you break away?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65963 on: September 24, 2013, 11:44:26 pm »

It's a very, very long story, that mainly boils down to, number one, they didn't approve of my girlfriend (now wife of over 2 years) and secondly, I got tired of my dad threatening to kill me and my mom being totally ok with it.
The Derail Thread

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65964 on: September 24, 2013, 11:46:08 pm »

Congrats on marrying her! And I get where you're coming from. One of the reasons my dad has never laid a finger on me is probably because he knows that I know how to cripple him. One good hit to his lower back and he's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life; I've seen the xrays.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65965 on: September 24, 2013, 11:49:58 pm »

Why do I want a social circle?  Becaaaaauuuuuse I don't want to be completely lacking in emotional support if I cut things off?  No one to talk to => desperate Vector => Vector who gets in relationships with abusive men/friends.  This is a proven pattern.  It's happened at least three times, each time with drastic consequences.

My new office is 7 people total, and I'm the youngest one there by a good bit.  And we pretty much don't talk to each other because we're so busy working.  Don't talk to the housemates much either.  We're all busy.  I'm definitely "the weird one" at work, too.  I can't sit still for that long. . . I spend pretty much the entire day spinning back and forth as I work.  Fortunately I'm bringing in music tomorrow so maybe that will help a little.  Keep catching myself doodling and writing little messages to myself because I'm so bored.  And lonely.

Whatever.  Tomorrow's another day, and I've got another 100 pages of report to read.

What I meant was to show that you are willing to burn that bridge if you have to. The notion that their children are perfectly capable of existing without their input and might in fact be happier without them in the picture always comes as a shock to them.

My parents would not be surprised.  I refused to call them anything but their first names starting at the age of 5 (changed my mind later, but...).  I've always had a bumpy relationship with them.

I have no idea, in the end, if I'll get married or not--but I'm 99% sure I'm not going to have kids.  I love 'em, but no.  I'm not opening that door.  As my mom says, "I never would have guessed that your life would be quite this difficult."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65966 on: September 24, 2013, 11:52:43 pm »

Congrats on marrying her! And I get where you're coming from. One of the reasons my dad has never laid a finger on me is probably because he knows that I know how to cripple him. One good hit to his lower back and he's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life; I've seen the xrays.
Thanks! It's been the best two years of my life so far.
And yeah, when he started that, I decided that if he ever made due on it, it wouldn't be me going down.
That why I can fight with a very wide variety of weapons, I self trained myself for a worst case scenario.

But hey, if the zombies rise up, I can use a spear.
The Derail Thread

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65967 on: September 24, 2013, 11:54:02 pm »

May I suggest you try Zoloft? I had the whole 'desperate for friends/emotional attachement' thing until I got on Zoloft. It's good shit and doesn't have many side effects (for me).

Thanks! It's been the best two years of my life so far.
And yeah, when he started that, I decided that if he ever made due on it, it wouldn't be me going down.
That why I can fight with a very wide variety of weapons, I self trained myself for a worst case scenario.

But hey, if the zombies rise up, I can use a spear.
Yeah, people underestimate the little guy who knows how to use weapons. I'm fucking awesome with a knife/knives. If allowed to go all out, I can take on a 7th Dan Black Belt in Taekwondo with a knife and win.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65968 on: September 24, 2013, 11:56:13 pm »

I might be in a complainy mood, but a thought just occurred to me. Why does it seem like the stock reaction to "My family/close friends are frustrating me lately, and they have a history of doing it this way" seem to be "Cut off contact/they are abusing you" in this thread? Am I overreacting? It just seems like such a drastic response to what is a fairly basic characteristic of emotional closeness - that the people you love will not be perfect, and that their flaws will, over time, grate. Doesn't mean they're a bad part of your life if they cause you sads. Even routine sads. Even routine, perfectly justified sads like not taking you seriously. They can still be a net happy, if you want to take the utilitarian approach, or otherwise you can still say you value and care for them and are willing to put up with the pain because you care.

Don't get me wrong - mastahcheese, for instance, holy shit, yeah getting out of that was the way to go. There are definitely cases where GET OUT NOW is the correct way to go, it just seems like it's a bizarrely common response around here.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65969 on: September 24, 2013, 11:57:35 pm »

Gamerlord, regardless of the context, telling people "Hey, get on this drug. Totally helps." is pretty creepy. >_____>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 4396 4397 [4398] 4399 4400 ... 8167