Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3835 3836 [3837] 3838 3839 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453406 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #57540 on: January 18, 2013, 02:37:59 am »

Severe concussions are kind of like happiness, in that you can't help but feel like drooling a little when you have them.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57541 on: January 18, 2013, 02:39:20 am »

I guess. I cannot fathom how my computer can't run it at normal speed. This computer can play Empire: Total War at normal fucking speed. Baldur's Gate is not that graphics intensive. I guess it's my screen resolution or something. Combat is simply impossible when you have to reselect your character, click your move and hope he does it X5 tries.

Got Baldur's Gate on Steam. Fuck yes.
It runs unbearably slow.
The universe giveth, and taketh. Usually it taketh and then kicketh in a very sensitive region at about the same time. Goddamn. Why can't I just have something that makes me happy? Is that really so fucking difficult?
Huh. You'd think an older game like that would run fairly well.

My point exactly. My computer isn't top-of-the-line badass, but it runs newer games quite well.

Actually Baldur's gate on Steam isn't the old one, it is the new remake.

It runs slow because the people who made it made it BADLY... also it isn't running slow it is just slow in general.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #57542 on: January 18, 2013, 03:24:43 am »

Sounds like they didn't know how to optimize anything?  Mmph :/  That's pretty sad, and tragic...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #57543 on: January 18, 2013, 06:08:49 am »

Well, this has probably been going on for a hell of a long time. Found out about it from my mother, who assumed I knew. She was telling me that all of the extra money he had he was hiding around the house, and I shit you not one time she found a roll of thousand dollar bills hidden in one of the vases. What pissed me off the most though, is that throughout most of my childhood my dad basically always tried to convince my family and everyone else that he was poor. When in reality he kept all of this money for himself.

I'm not going to turn him in or anything, this just puts the final nail in the coffin towards the alienation between us that's been happening ever since I was a teenager.

...Where on earth did he get thousand dollar bills? Haven't they been out of commission for the better part of a century, or something?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #57544 on: January 18, 2013, 09:20:43 am »

Well, just found out today that my dad committed a hell of a lot of tax fraud and tax evasion when I was little, and probably is still doing it today. I always wondered how we had so much money when I was young, kind of weird I didn't suspect that my dad wasn't doing anything shady before. Guess I'm just pretty disappointed and sad that a guy I had a great opinion on turns out to be a greedy asshole.
Probably not smart to post this on a public forum. Or anywhere, really.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57545 on: January 18, 2013, 11:54:17 am »

Stumbled upon the Atheist Apocalypse comic again, good read, great idea, hope to see it become reality :D

It worries me that this kind of stuff turns up more and more. It's just mindless misguided idealism for now, but a dissillusioned idealist is a dangerous thing.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57546 on: January 18, 2013, 12:20:33 pm »

Mindless misguided idealism? o_O  What do you mean?  No really I'm curious.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57547 on: January 18, 2013, 12:22:43 pm »

Idealist here, also confused.

Also comic had way too much text. Preachy at that, too.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57548 on: January 18, 2013, 01:04:28 pm »

Mindless misguided idealism? o_O  What do you mean?  No really I'm curious.
Good intentions, bad actions? It is quite common.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57549 on: January 18, 2013, 01:16:25 pm »

It is sad that the Atheist Doomsday will likely actually be a doomsday, though not in the way you would expect.

With science comes the use of knowledge against wisdom or against the common good
With Progress comes the progress of some but not others as well as the progress in place of positive progress
With Reason comes the pride of knowing and ignorance in other clothing
With Equality comes misunderstanding where equality is confused for a substituted equality

Mind you, that is just one way.

We have yet to hit the "Corporate Crisis" juuuust yet. Though we are getting there.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57550 on: January 18, 2013, 02:06:40 pm »

So your concerns can be pretty much summed up as... "corruption and hypocrisy will probably screw it up."  I'd say that's a pretty reasonable concern.  Happens with every movement I suppose.  But I wouldn't say that just because this is an Atheist Doomsday doesn't mean corruption and hypocrisy will happen 100%.  If corruption and hypocrisy screwed it up, then that would kind of defeat the purpose of an Atheist Doomsday to begin with.  The vibe I get from this comic is this would be a sudden (or maybe a decades or generations long) process where greed, hate, racism, and all those human vices that result in corruption and hypocrisy would be slowly gleaned out of humanity.  Then we as human beings can stop hurting each other and stealing from each other and realize there's productive, helpful things we could be doing instead.

Hm, so to sum it all up, I see your concern and acknowledge how problematic it would be, but I disagree with the notion that actively trying to advance Science, Progress, Reason, and Equality will automatically result the opposite, or worse problems.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57551 on: January 18, 2013, 02:10:35 pm »

Actually to me what the comic is actually about is how specific people are highly exaggerating the evils of science, reason, progress, and equality and treating it like an evil and a sign of the Apocalypse.

This comic is basically getting "take that" and saying that "if this is the end of the world, then this is the end that I'd be all for".

I am just saying that... unfortunately joke aside... I could imagine an end of the world being spearheaded by those exact four tenants making the comic a LOT less funny (ESPECIALLY the Horseman of Progress...)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57552 on: January 18, 2013, 02:12:50 pm »

Pretty much all the problems with it that people (not necesarilly those of this board) tend to have is that they're on this idea that any progress/science/reason/equality will obviously also tack on deception and the violation of consent (at least, more violation and deception than occurs already. It's a violation of consent to prevent you from discriminating based on race/sex/orientation/whatever, but that discrimination is a violation in and of itself, and one trumps the other.) :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #57553 on: January 18, 2013, 03:05:11 pm »

Send email to student help desk: "I need this and that before the 23rd"
Got a response: "You email will be answered on the 24th"

:c

edit: Descan, every time I see your avatar, I think it's Kai's gf.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57554 on: January 18, 2013, 04:11:03 pm »

MAYBE I AM KAI'S GF.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 3835 3836 [3837] 3838 3839 ... 8167