Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3775 3776 [3777] 3778 3779 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9463667 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56640 on: December 19, 2012, 10:47:14 am »

@fqllve
I'll agree with that :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #56641 on: December 19, 2012, 10:56:33 am »

So stupid people suffer less? That's interesting.

No. And animals don't necessarily suffer less either, but they are less important.

Stupid people are still sophonts. They, still matter.

Chimps and Dolphins may be sophonts or close to it, so the comparison isn't as absurd.

Pigs and dogs, are not sophonts.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56642 on: December 19, 2012, 11:01:01 am »

Thats not right. I hurt and cry all the time, and im a very stupid person. Apparently.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56643 on: December 19, 2012, 11:15:53 am »

Now I'll have to buy a fishing rod to go to kindergarden and reel in kids.

"It's okay - they're stupid! They don't feel a thing!"
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #56644 on: December 19, 2012, 11:17:55 am »

In Dutch, "stupid" and "mute" are the same word.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56645 on: December 19, 2012, 11:18:35 am »

Dumb and mute in English.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56646 on: December 19, 2012, 11:23:52 am »

OK, I have to ask this now: what is it with these forums? There appears to be an abnormally large number of people who have been abused, are part of the LGBT community, or something else like that.

Is it just that they feel more comfortable talking about it here compared to other forums?

It probably is that people feel more comfortable around here. We have had several major forum members being very open and accepting, notably Vector among others, and that makes a difference. This is one of the first places I shared my childhood horror stories, it just isn't something I normally share.
LGBT?  You're accepted.  Abused?  We welcome you with open arms.  Depressed and suicidal?  Here's a shoulder to lean on. 

Vegan?  ...
I want to punch you in the face. You worthless piece of shit.
:(

Shakerag, no matter how sympathetic you try to be, you're still being very disrespectful.
Forgive me, because I don't see it.  I'm saying "here is something horrific, and here is something else *I* think is horrific and can't understand why other people don't think so".  No disrespect was intended whatsoever to MoM. 

How can you possibly confuse the two. it is damn insulting to denigrate a human being and trivialize someones suffering by comparing to an animal.
Where is there confusion?  They are separate things, and I am expressing that I find both to be horrific.  I can't possibly fathom how I am trivializing anyone's suffering. 

i can empathise with the cruel treatment of chickens just fine. but they are many many orders of magnitude  less than human.
So, hypothetically, if there was some manner of life out there that was significantly evolved and advanced as compared to humans, it would be acceptable for them to treat us the same way we treat animals? 

Although true that is true, saying that you should not be sad about one because you are not sad about another is insufferably insulting and false. Especially when the first one is many many times worse.
I didn't say that.  You're twisting what I said into some kind of "denying the antecedent"-ish thing.  Assuming you're referring to me, of course.

I think the biggest issue is that it was a really really insensitive time to post that kind of comment.
Why?  Because I don't put human suffering above the suffering of other life?  Because I think horrific things happening to living beings are horrific period, regardless of species? 

"imbecillic hate"

We are talking about a human being we know well, their past suffering getting compared and even belittled to the suffering of a shortlived animal.
I'm sorry, but I don't feel that is belittling.  From my viewpoint, any living being being abused or tortured is horrific, so I have nothing but the highest amount of sympathy for MoM.  I just happened to express that I also have the same sympathy toward living beings that are forced to live in an inclosure barely larger than themselves for their entire life.

Quote from: DrPoo
It was completely irrelevant, stupid too.
Thank you for letting me know my feelings are stupid.

Its like running around at a funeral screaming " it might be bad that this kid was murdered with a rake by her insane alcoholic uncle, but think of all the million flies that die everyday! Thats even more evil!"
In my eyes at least. Maybe i just totally misunderstood everything but seriously what the fuck?
Yes, you totally misunderstood everything.  That's not what I said at all.

The suffering of a little girl is much more important than the suffering of a fucking chicken.
That is your opinion, not mine.  Apparently, your opinion is somehow more worthwhile than mine as well.

I dont even know him for anything but his avatar, and the fact he cares more about the suffering of livestock than that of a well-known person who atleast presents herself as a loving, intelligent human being.
Also incorrect.  The first part, that is.  Admittedly, I don't know MoM well enough to verify the second part, but I'm sure you're not misrepresenting her.

Im sorry for the harsh and violent outburst. But im a human being. I have feelings, MoM has too and i was trying to protect her feelings.
I never intended to offer any slight toward MoM, so I don't see why you'd need to protect her feelings. 

This. 

No. And animals don't necessarily suffer less either, but they are less important.
I'm sure the animals feel they are less important than humans too.  Again, would you still feel the same if humans were no longer the most advanced living beings around? 

Now I'll have to buy a fishing rod to go to kindergarden and reel in kids.

"It's okay - they're stupid! They don't feel a thing!"
I am a terrible person; I laughed at that.  Although, soberingly, I do feel that humans in general treat children as "lesser beings" and don't give them the respect that they deserve. 

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56647 on: December 19, 2012, 11:29:25 am »

You have a point on dogs, but pigs have been placed at about the 4th most intelligent animal on earth IIRC.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56648 on: December 19, 2012, 11:30:15 am »

You have a point on dogs, but pigs have been placed at about the 4th most intelligent tasty animal on earth IIRC.

FTFY
This is a blank sig.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #56649 on: December 19, 2012, 11:42:44 am »

Forgive me, because I don't see it.  I'm saying "here is something horrific, and here is something else *I* think is horrific and can't understand why other people don't think so".  No disrespect was intended whatsoever to MoM.
As a person who does think so, I still think bringing it up at that moment was disrespectful. You brought them up in the same breath and that invites comparison. It's like you're putting a value on pain. No one should have to see their suffering compared to anyone else's because it feels belittling and no one should made to feel like sympathy for their suffering isn't enough, and when you place it in that context it's incredibly easy to interpret it like that.

It would have been completely different if she hadn't been in the thread.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #56650 on: December 19, 2012, 11:44:47 am »

You have a point on dogs, but pigs have been placed at about the 4th most intelligent tasty animal on earth IIRC.
FTFY
... what's the top three? Because I'd put bacon around, like...

... first. Maybe second, but then I'm not sure what first would be :-\ Maybe as an average? Some sorts of prepared pork aren't that impressive, t'be fair.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56651 on: December 19, 2012, 11:46:04 am »

I'm going to hazard a guess and say beef.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #56652 on: December 19, 2012, 11:46:23 am »

FTFY

... first. Maybe second, but then I'm not sure what first would be :-\ Maybe as an average? Some sorts of prepared pork aren't that impressive, t'be fair.
I'd put sheep, cow, and chicken above pig...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56653 on: December 19, 2012, 11:49:30 am »

FTFY

I'd put sheep, cow, and chicken above pig...

Kangaroo is fucking beautiful. Lamb is awesome, and Swordfish is a joy. Then pig. Though Snake, Hippo and Crocodile also score very highly.

Yes, I am an extreme carnivore.
This is a blank sig.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56654 on: December 19, 2012, 11:53:46 am »

Pig tend to disagree with my bowels.
Pages: 1 ... 3775 3776 [3777] 3778 3779 ... 8167