Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3774 3775 [3776] 3777 3778 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9463690 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56625 on: December 19, 2012, 07:07:31 am »

I think the biggest issue is that it was a really really insensitive time to post that kind of comment.

This, definitely.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #56626 on: December 19, 2012, 07:26:33 am »

I agree that it was insensitive to post it. I do not agree that it requires flaming, especially when people already pointed out that it was inappropriate in a calm and to-the-point manner.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56627 on: December 19, 2012, 07:46:43 am »

Yeah... I don't disagree.  I was addressing the debate about whether the comparison was valid.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56628 on: December 19, 2012, 07:59:50 am »

This made me sad :'(  Somebody left it here in the cafe!  A poor, homeless MATH H073 book.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or am I sad its stuff I did in middle school?   Either way, why leave it?  I learned form my first year:  Keep All your books unless you really need the moneies.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56629 on: December 19, 2012, 08:59:02 am »

"imbecillic hate"

We are talking about a human being we know well, their past suffering getting compared and even belittled to the suffering of a shortlived animal.

If you want to combat that sort of thing, eat eco chicken or dont eat chicken at all. And i wouldnt react like that if you didnt post it in the context of MoM's horrible story about her childhood consisting of rape and abuse.

It was completely irrelevant, stupid too.

Its like running around at a funeral screaming " it might be bad that this kid was murdered with a rake by her insane alcoholic uncle, but think of all the million flies that die everyday! Thats even more evil!"
In my eyes at least. Maybe i just totally misunderstood everything but seriously what the fuck?

The suffering of a little girl is much more important than the suffering of a fucking chicken.

Why is that imbecillic hate? There isnt a slight notion of hate here, who would i hate here? That guy, MoM, the chickens? I dont even know him for anything but his avatar, and the fact he cares more about the suffering of livestock than that of a well-known person who atleast presents herself as a loving, intelligent human being.

Im sorry for the harsh and violent outburst. But im a human being. I have feelings, MoM has too and i was trying to protect her feelings.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #56630 on: December 19, 2012, 09:03:25 am »

... I have to concede that DrPoo has kindof a point there
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56631 on: December 19, 2012, 09:07:35 am »

and the fact he cares more about the suffering of livestock than that of a well-known person who atleast presents herself as a loving, intelligent human being.
yet be perfectly okay with things like this, that, or the other thing.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #56632 on: December 19, 2012, 09:11:30 am »

... I have to concede that DrPoo has kindof a point there
I agree. It's the "harsh and violent outburst" people have problems with, which wasn't present in his latter post.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56633 on: December 19, 2012, 10:12:52 am »

I'll take a moment and say that the original comparison did not in any way shape or form degrade MoM. The words used pretty explicitly said animals should be brought up to the same level, not MoM brought down in any way.

This isn't a zero sum game. You don't lose value by other things also having value.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56634 on: December 19, 2012, 10:14:17 am »

I, however, am going to counter it by saying animals are not people, and given that humans are not very capable of compassion in general, it should be reserved for their own species.

Anti-kaijyuu, AWAY!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56635 on: December 19, 2012, 10:18:06 am »

No "reservation" is necessary, because as King DZA said,

I don't see why it shouldn't possible to be saddened by the undue suffering of both human, and non-human entities...

As I've stated before:
It's not like my empathy is some finite resource that I have to reserve for only the most fucked over individuals, and it pisses me off that anyone's mistreatment has to have priority over anyone else's.

Do some people lack compassion? Yes. Do those with it need to limit it any way shape or form? No.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #56636 on: December 19, 2012, 10:28:24 am »

I am not even saying that you shouldn't feel compassion for the suffering of animals. But there is no equivalence between humanity and lower animals, unless you disregard the value of the human mind.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56637 on: December 19, 2012, 10:30:38 am »

Firstly, there's no reason to believe you need to disregard anything.
Secondly, your opinion on rather smart animals such as dolphins, some apes, and pigs? As the mind is the qualifier for value in this regard, if I'm inferring correctly.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #56638 on: December 19, 2012, 10:43:34 am »

So stupid people suffer less? That's interesting.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #56639 on: December 19, 2012, 10:46:23 am »

Still, it's bothersome when people see someone expressing sympathy at a situation and they feel the need to bring up another situation they feel doesn't get enough attention. It feels like they're chastising people for having sympathy. It's normally not really a problem, except the person given condolences was in the conversation. Then it shows a lack of tact and respect for the suffering of others, as if their suffering were somehow undeserving.

I'm not saying he meant it that way, but that's the way people interpret it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 3774 3775 [3776] 3777 3778 ... 8167