Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3771 3772 [3773] 3774 3775 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9461749 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56580 on: December 18, 2012, 04:47:04 pm »

Yeah, that's the stuff. I'm also fond of Realpolitik; one needs the other to have an actual impact.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #56581 on: December 18, 2012, 04:52:03 pm »

May as well post it, being vague just makes me look like I'm attention whoring.

I don't think I can say anything that recognizes your situation for how horrible it actually is. I'll just say you have my utmost sympathy and I genuinely hope your psyche recovers as best it can. That is some fucked up shit.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56582 on: December 18, 2012, 06:30:11 pm »

I am sad and continuously confused at how humans can be enraged about what happened to MoM (and rightfully so, mind you), yet be perfectly okay with things like this, that, or the other thing.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56583 on: December 18, 2012, 06:36:32 pm »

I am sad and continuously confused at how humans can be enraged about what happened to MoM (and rightfully so, mind you), yet be perfectly okay with things like this, that, or the other thing.
It's probably because humans find it easier to feel empathy/sympathy for other humans than they do other animals.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #56584 on: December 18, 2012, 06:41:35 pm »

Shakerag, no matter how sympathetic you try to be, you're still being very disrespectful.

I'm not saying those things aren't bad because it doesn't matter how bad they are. If they're not as bad, you're belittling her. If they're equally bad or worse, you're making a starving children in africa argument.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #56585 on: December 18, 2012, 07:02:35 pm »

How can you possibly confuse the two. it is damn insulting to denigrate a human being and trivialize someones suffering by comparing to an animal.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #56586 on: December 18, 2012, 07:04:52 pm »

We eat chickens. We don't eat people. True story.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56587 on: December 18, 2012, 07:10:02 pm »

I don't eat chickens :P

Anyway yeah, it's the monkey sphere phenomenon, essentially. Pain and suffering is okay so long as it's outside your sphere of empathy.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #56588 on: December 18, 2012, 07:19:02 pm »

Anyway yeah, it's the monkey sphere phenomenon, essentially. Pain and suffering is okay so long as it's outside your sphere of empathy.
it goes way beyond that. people are sophonts. with minds and nearly unlimited potential to learn and think and create memetic contributions that may be passed on for thousands  of years and shape the very fabric of society and even the world itself. chickens are not. i can empathise with the cruel treatment of chickens just fine. but they are many many orders of magnitude  less than human.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56589 on: December 18, 2012, 07:30:54 pm »

My point stands, completely unassailed. You simply give reason for their pain and suffering to be outside your sphere of empathy. Whether that reason is valid or not, I make no claim either way; that's up to you.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56590 on: December 18, 2012, 08:00:01 pm »

The "monkey sphere phenomenon" is not about a valid lack of empathy.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56591 on: December 18, 2012, 09:12:45 pm »

it goes way beyond that. people are sophonts. with minds and nearly unlimited potential to learn and think and create memetic contributions that may be passed on for thousands  of years and shape the very fabric of society and even the world itself. chickens are not. i can empathise with the cruel treatment of chickens just fine. but they are many many orders of magnitude  less than human.
Well animals are capable of having societies, and passing on knowledge from one generation to the next, theirs is just far more limited by their lack of our ability to communicate, as well as a few other factors.

What I find interesting is how if you take the intelligence away from humans, people still hold the exact same double standard.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56592 on: December 18, 2012, 09:17:40 pm »

What is also interesting is that most people are horrified at the thought of eating their pet (apart from the "old" meat consideration).

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #56593 on: December 18, 2012, 09:28:09 pm »

I personally am holding it as a minor life goal to chow down on some long pork one day. Hopefully with a side of chicken so that I can properly compare the two. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not fervently against the unnecessary mistreatment of both said creatures.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:32:49 pm by King DZA »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56594 on: December 18, 2012, 10:04:54 pm »

I personally am holding it as a minor life goal to chow down on some long pork one day.

Uhhh, really?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 3771 3772 [3773] 3774 3775 ... 8167