Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3710 3711 [3712] 3713 3714 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9475780 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #55666 on: November 22, 2012, 01:22:34 am »

I don't remember who said this, but "Not sucking at something is a product of time invested. At first, you suck at something. Then, you practice, and get better. After a while, you don't suck anymore."
It was fqlive.  :P
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #55667 on: November 22, 2012, 04:45:39 am »

Reading this thread made me sad today.  All the people who think that they cannot do certain things.  All the people who are in horrible circumstances.  All the pro- and anti-intellectualists.  All the people whose statements of their problems looks to me like statements of the solutions of their problems, yet they do not realise it.

Many people would not agree with me, but I totally believe that you can do anything.  You are powerful.  Any problem that you cannot solve now, you can learn to solve.  No problem is permanently problematic.  You can always learn and adapt and get stronger.  The only thing that might stop you from doing something is physics itself, and maybe not even that.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #55668 on: November 22, 2012, 04:47:11 am »

That is the truth, DreamThorn. Anything can be done with a little shift in perspective.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #55669 on: November 22, 2012, 04:47:17 am »

Reading this thread made me sad today.  All the people who think that they cannot do certain things.  All the people who are in horrible circumstances.  All the pro- and anti-intellectualists.  All the people whose statements of their problems looks to me like statements of the solutions of their problems, yet they do not realise it.

Many people would not agree with me, but I totally believe that you can do anything.  You are powerful.  Any problem that you cannot solve now, you can learn to solve.  No problem is permanently problematic.  You can always learn and adapt and get stronger.  The only thing that might stop you from doing something is physics procrastination itself, and maybe not even that.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55670 on: November 22, 2012, 06:00:26 am »

Wow, I feel a little spoiled. A lot of people have some serious issues that they bring up here and one tiny thing in an other wise great day is really making me depressed.
It is strange how sometimes you can just shrug off bigger problems, but things that really shouldn't even matter can make you sad.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #55671 on: November 22, 2012, 06:22:58 am »

Thanks for the support.  I'm feeling much better now. :)
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55672 on: November 22, 2012, 12:06:15 pm »

Wow, I feel a little spoiled. A lot of people have some serious issues that they bring up here and one tiny thing in an other wise great day is really making me depressed.
It is strange how sometimes you can just shrug off bigger problems, but things that really shouldn't even matter can make you sad.
Please don't ever feel guilty like that. "Someone else has it worse" is a pathetic excuse people use to not care about other people's problems.

There's a case to be made about triage, but when that doesn't/can't come into play, anguish is anguish and deserves to be treated with appropriate sympathy. Plus, as any depressed person can tell you, sadness isn't always logical and even the small problems can make huge differences in one's mood, so you still deserve a hug of sympathy.

* kaijyuu hugs everyone.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #55673 on: November 22, 2012, 12:24:54 pm »

Please don't ever feel guilty like that. "Someone else has it worse" is a pathetic excuse people use to not care about other people's problems.

There's a case to be made about triage, but when that doesn't/can't come into play, anguish is anguish and deserves to be treated with appropriate sympathy. Plus, as any depressed person can tell you, sadness isn't always logical and even the small problems can make huge differences in one's mood, so you still deserve a hug of sympathy.

* kaijyuu hugs everyone.

Quoted for epic truth

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55674 on: November 22, 2012, 12:25:06 pm »

QFT
I know I've spent alot of time miserable and depressed despite my supportive family and access to everything I need to be comfortable.
I also find going "other people have it worse" just makes people feel bad about being sad and if there's one thing I hate it's things that make people feel bad about being honest about their feelings.
If you're sad you're sad and the suffering of others won't change that.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55675 on: November 22, 2012, 12:51:31 pm »

Ugh, opened my fool mouth one time too many.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #55676 on: November 22, 2012, 01:00:30 pm »

Today, the vacuum cleaner broke.  Naturally, it broke on a day my mom desperately wanted to clean the house.  Naturally, her solution to the problem is "vacuum harder!"

:'(

edit: hugs for everyone anyway.  It isn't anybody's fault that my family makes every holiday bitchtastic, so I'll try not to drag you guys down this year.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 02:12:01 pm by Euld »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55677 on: November 22, 2012, 05:58:58 pm »

Can't bring myself to subject my family to depressed me, so spending the holiday by myself at home. Feeling stupid and useless, and hating myself for thinking that because the thought itself is stupid and useless. It's self-propagating.

Trying to do something productive and mindless to distract myself and break out of the cycle. Cleaning the house. Might bake in a bit.

Depression is stupid, and I hate it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55678 on: November 22, 2012, 07:56:16 pm »

One of the worst decisions you can make while depressed, solifuge, is pushing people away. Go talk to your family, even if it's only on the phone at this point.

Today, the vacuum cleaner broke.  Naturally, it broke on a day my mom desperately wanted to clean the house.  Naturally, her solution to the problem is "vacuum harder!"

edit: hugs for everyone anyway.  It isn't anybody's fault that my family makes every holiday bitchtastic, so I'll try not to drag you guys down this year.
* kaijyuu hugs
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #55679 on: November 22, 2012, 08:07:38 pm »

Can't bring myself to subject my family to depressed me, so spending the holiday by myself at home. Feeling stupid and useless, and hating myself for thinking that because the thought itself is stupid and useless. It's self-propagating.

Trying to do something productive and mindless to distract myself and break out of the cycle. Cleaning the house. Might bake in a bit.

Depression is stupid, and I hate it.
One of the worst decisions you can make while depressed, solifuge, is pushing people away. Go talk to your family, even if it's only on the phone at this point.

* kaijyuu hugs
Alternatively, RAAEEEEEEEEGGGGGGGGG depression to death. Nurse your hatred, let it fester in your heart, and you will find you are capable of wonderfully heinous things.

Whatever you do, don't let it go.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 3710 3711 [3712] 3713 3714 ... 8167