Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2876 2877 [2878] 2879 2880 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430247 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #43155 on: February 09, 2012, 01:04:53 pm »

Ah, I should say: I got to season 5 or something, wherever the start of the section where he goes into rehab is.  I always really enjoyed the season finales, and I actually thought that the season with Amber was the best/most interesting one by far (though I've never been able to resist a tournament arc >_<), but somehow the intermediary stuff was not an attraction.
I got to the end of season 7, but never picked up season 8, mostly because I stopped watching TV... not sure why I stopped, it just sort of happened.

I'd say the show has had its ups and downs, and I think it was pretty good, even if the show is ridiculously unrealistic, and most of the time the show was so formulaic that I've been tempted to write a program that will write a house episode.

Incidentally the program would come up with something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43156 on: February 09, 2012, 01:46:29 pm »

Why do I keep visiting the xkcd forums? I don't think I've met anywhere there that I don't at least mildly dislike, and I actively hate a good portion of them. So why do I keep doing this to myself and going back there?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #43157 on: February 09, 2012, 02:24:00 pm »

Fortunately my mother went through the student loan issue slightly before I went to college and understood what hell it was. After her divorce she went to school and got a degree in special education while having zero income. At the time, Mississippi counted student loans as "income" and did not discount it for tuition, so they refused to provide welfare for a while, so she got more student loans to feed herself and 4 kids.

She didn't even want me to go to a university, only a 2 year school instead. But that didn't work out for me either. And I ended up going into severe debt with student loans because all the scholarships that could have covered most of my tuition are only available to 1st year students. But after 4 years in my career I can theoretically be debt free in about 18 months if I put half my salary into it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43158 on: February 09, 2012, 02:28:36 pm »

Fortunately my mother went through the student loan issue slightly before I went to college and understood what hell it was. After her divorce she went to school and got a degree in special education while having zero income. At the time, Mississippi counted student loans as "income" and did not discount it for tuition, so they refused to provide welfare for a while, so she got more student loans to feed herself and 4 kids.

She didn't even want me to go to a university, only a 2 year school instead. But that didn't work out for me either. And I ended up going into severe debt with student loans because all the scholarships that could have covered most of my tuition are only available to 1st year students. But after 4 years in my career I can theoretically be debt free in about 18 months if I put half my salary into it.
lol shit, at least you got a good job.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43159 on: February 09, 2012, 02:33:32 pm »

Haha, my grandmother straight up refused to sign the papers for my uncle's scholarship (full ride to Stanford mechanical engineering), because she just didn't fucking feel like it.  He finally managed to argue her down, but ... yeah, it was pretty bad for a while.

A number of my cousins also basically didn't get scholarships they really, really needed for college educations because another uncle refused to pay his income taxes, so that was that--not skilled enough to get into private universities, and the state didn't want to pay for the kids of some guy who refused to chip in.

Come to think of it, out of the ten cousins, three dropped out of school before getting to college and one died... huh.

*shrug*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #43160 on: February 09, 2012, 02:51:35 pm »

I've been lucky enough to have a family that's been really supportive for college. Haven't had a lot of money to spare, but they've always been willing to help out with the paperwork where they have to. A lot of it probably comes from my grandpa. First guy in the family to earn a degree, and really encouraged his kids and grandchildren else to work toward them. Must... get... doctorate. Must... exceed... existing precedent.

Hrm. Now I miss him again. Well, this is the thread for that, I suppose.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43161 on: February 09, 2012, 02:58:03 pm »

Thing is though, my dad should be fairly well-versed in this stuff. He's still paying off his own student loans from Portugal(A good 25 years ago) and was around for all the previous student loan junk we had to deal with because my community college is pretty cruddy about this. Still, it's not hard to understand that there is an account in the school where the money is held to pay for your classes, and that with my current setup I can't utilize it as I'm not taking classes.

I think he's just tired and frustrated at the moment, he is working on a 120 page thing for his graduation with a second degree and is under a deadline. I just needed to vent is all. I don't think he's nearly as bad as many examples listed. Being tired just does hell on your ability to think about others.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43162 on: February 09, 2012, 08:54:15 pm »

I keep feeling slight vibrations on the floor. Not sure if it's actually a real vibration, or if it's just my mind. And my right ear hurts so bad.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43163 on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:32 pm »

Pounding headache in right lobe and fuck, man, I do not want to college anymore.  I am so over this shit.

*sigh*

... I COULD HAVE GRADUATED THIS SEMESTER
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43164 on: February 09, 2012, 09:04:05 pm »

Look on the bright side, at least you have a pounding headache in the comfort of a collage, rather that the cut throat world of having one of those horrible 'real' jobs. I sure hated that while it lasted.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43165 on: February 09, 2012, 09:26:44 pm »

What Max said. A day in college beats a day out here with the rest of us schmucks any day.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43166 on: February 09, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »

Truth. You know what keeps me going in college? The knowledge that there are FAR WORSE things I could be doing instead. I had my turn as a blue collar worker, and I hated every back-breaking, sleepless, hazardous moment of it. The day I quit and decided to go back to school was my first true happy moment in many months.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43167 on: February 09, 2012, 10:38:20 pm »

I know, but the thing is, I could really use a break from this.  Even a really sucky, soul-gobbling break.  My body doesn't have that much more room for constant mental fireworks, reading, problem-solving and so on.  I'm just... worn out.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43168 on: February 09, 2012, 10:50:54 pm »

I'm going to try hard not to project here, but I'm inclined to echo Sirus and RedKing here. There are few things I regret more than taking a break from school to go jobbing full-time; after that, I lost my stride, and it's been hard to get it back since. Most entry-level jobs are about as exhausting as coursework (physically, mentally, or emotionally), and it's a rare few jobs that feed your soul the same way classes do. Sure you meet people, earn yourself some ducats, and so on... but things are tough out there right now; it's a great time to be in school, and a horrible time to be in the work force.

I can't know how worn-out you feel, and understand the desire for a change of pace and all... but maybe you could just swing for a Spring/Summer job, so you can have that experience without missing a beat on your coursework?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43169 on: February 09, 2012, 10:55:22 pm »

You know what's fun? Having random shit randomly wrong with you.

Blurry vision, just enough to be noticable.

Differently-dilated pupils, but I've had them before. Like, last year or the year before.

Headaches on occasion.

Random pain in the back-right of my mouth/top of throat.

And to top it all off, I have a random bump in the roof of my mouth, just off-center to the right, and I'm just coming off of a cold.

TO THE DOCTOR. *batman music*
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 2876 2877 [2878] 2879 2880 ... 8167