Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2664 2665 [2666] 2667 2668 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451339 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #39975 on: November 18, 2011, 08:56:23 pm »

I just realized that this is almost certainly an orphaned thread. The OP hasn't been active since July.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39976 on: November 18, 2011, 08:56:32 pm »

Please dear God, don't mix the cute little cartoon with adult things.
Just FYI, a very, very large chunk of fan made content is giving the show's characters/world a darker view. Hell, the biggest fanfiction currently out there mixes it with Fallout (post apocalyptic, zombies, guns, etc).

The biggest fandom overlap I know of is with Team Fortress 2. You'll be hard pressed to find a server without someone using pony sprays.

IMO people just need to be more mature. I get tired of people saying "stop enjoying that because I don't like it!" If you don't like that sort of stuff, it's quite avoidable. No one's linking to any of it.

Please don't make me say what I meant by "adult things" that I requested people not put in cute little cartoons. :( I'm not talking dark, I'm talking "that." Especially in the context the thread was mod locked in....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39977 on: November 18, 2011, 09:00:23 pm »

Still applies:
I get tired of people saying "stop enjoying that because I don't like it!"

Yay moral indignation. That is my sadness to contribute to the thread.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39978 on: November 18, 2011, 09:01:46 pm »

Fine ignore the fact that it was constantly breaking forum rules and making Toady implicitly responsible for the possible linking to horrible fics and yeah that's exactly the case.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39979 on: November 18, 2011, 09:03:20 pm »

Possible? So we're charging people for what they haven't done yet?

I'll be glad to continue this sort of discussion in PMs. But for now,
Quote from: kaijyuu
I'm not gonna make a scene about this though.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39980 on: November 18, 2011, 09:05:57 pm »

And you've made a great scene about how much of a scene you aren't making of it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #39981 on: November 18, 2011, 09:11:24 pm »

In unrelated news, I get the lousy shift at work tomorrow. Starting with deliveries to the psych ward (which I've already complained about) and afterward making deliveries as-needed to the pediatric units (which I might not have access to yet because our computerized security system is overly complicated about adding new people), in addition to the standard deliveries that go with that shift. And it's one I gave up my 3-day weekend to help out a co-worker with too, so bluh bluh.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39982 on: November 18, 2011, 09:11:43 pm »

Ah, but I said I wasn't going to make a scene about ponies. That still allows me to make a scene about not making a scene! :P

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39983 on: November 18, 2011, 09:24:24 pm »

Learned at bar association the state isn't paying court appointed counsel what they used to. Translation, I just took a paycut. Yay....

It won't take effect until a couple months from now, but I'm officially getting a 1.8% pay raise that is in reality a ~7% pay cut.  We can Yay together.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:28:49 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39984 on: November 18, 2011, 09:28:21 pm »

Ah, but I said I wasn't going to make a scene about ponies. That still allows me to make a scene about not making a scene! :P
Flawless.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #39985 on: November 18, 2011, 09:29:13 pm »

Am I the only MLP fan who just likes MLP as it is without any grimdark horror?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #39986 on: November 18, 2011, 09:38:19 pm »

As far as I'm concerned I can understand perfectly that Toady doesn't want his forum to keep a presence of "Your resistance only makes my socks warmer!" horse fanfic.

If most "My Little Pony" fanfic does indeed constitute of such topics, it only strenghtens Toady's point.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39987 on: November 18, 2011, 09:38:38 pm »

Learned at bar association the state isn't paying court appointed counsel what they used to. Translation, I just took a paycut. Yay....

It won't take effect until a couple months from now, but I'm officially getting a 1.8% pay raise that is in reality a ~7% pay cut.  We can Yay together.

I sorta wanna get irresponsibly drunk, but eh. The answer to my problems is not in the bottom of a bottle. I have looked, repeatedly. There is about an 8 week lag time from when the case ends to when/if the state pays me.

[Yays with SalmonGod]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:40:19 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39988 on: November 18, 2011, 09:42:05 pm »

Am I the only MLP fan who just likes MLP as it is without any grimdark horror?

Nawww! I very much enjoyed a Discworld-MLP crossover fanfic that was posted awhile back on the MLP thread. I checked the thread occasionally, but it got swarmed with... unpleasant things. Pity, though. There were some good links there, too.

Don't get me wrong, though. I enjoyed some of the darker stuff, but the way the thread was going... Yeah, you kinda expected it to get closed.

On topic, though, SOPA makes me very sad. So very sad that the EU Parliament had to warn the US about censoring the internet. So very very sad that the US government has to be so hypocritical just for the sake of the MPAA.
Also often called Boowells.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<deleted>
« Reply #39989 on: November 18, 2011, 09:49:01 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:03:42 pm by MC Dirty »
Pages: 1 ... 2664 2665 [2666] 2667 2668 ... 8167