Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2400 2401 [2402] 2403 2404 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9437243 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36015 on: August 28, 2011, 11:00:23 am »

So much bad internet O_O

I get between 50 and 100 mbps depending on time of the day, both download and upload, for about 40 US dollars >_>

Here, have a look at my daytime speed, taken with 5 minutes interval:

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:06:13 am by Lysabild »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #36016 on: August 28, 2011, 11:02:17 am »

Holy fuck, you guys. I've got a ~700kbps connection and rarely need something more than that (although I'm often the only one using it at any one time)! Playing games works fine, ~25-50 ping in localish areas, although I suppose a small upgrade would be nice for purposes of watching those 1080p youtube videos without pausing for a second, but what's 50 MBs for?! Can any server even transmit that quickly?... apparently so.

On another note, the ridiculously long summer in America (I think most other places have it shorter) has caused everyone to forget anything not directly relevant to their interests, which for me amounts to a bit of algebra and my programming knowledge. I think I'll just review my notes weekly next summer and breeze through the first few months as a result.
From my experience, the best part about ludicrous speed internet is downloading games. From RIT's game dev lab, the connection is so fast you can download any game within an hour as long as the Steam servers or where ever they come from are fast. When I played Global Agenda for a while on the lab computers, I redownloaded every time I played; same with other games.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #36017 on: August 28, 2011, 11:14:22 am »

Ah, well I suppose that makes sense. I usually play only a few games for extended periods of time, so I don't download huge files too often.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36018 on: August 28, 2011, 11:19:28 am »

While this seems bad, I rarely have problems because of it. That said, I really want to get a 1gb/s connection just to see how the test reacts to it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36019 on: August 28, 2011, 12:08:04 pm »

I just spent several hours of my life looking around at the various gmod games.

Seriously, what a bunch of poorly-coded clusterfucks.  I really want to like Trouble in Terrorist Town but it's even more fucked up than Space Station 13.  Empty an entire clip into a guy from point blank range, he shoots you once and you're dead.  Fuck that bullshit.
Shoes...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36020 on: August 28, 2011, 12:37:09 pm »

Someone I know disowned their gay daughter and threw her into the street. <--This should literally be a crime, you have a duty to care for your own children, especially if under 18. American Prosecutors, call me a bastard while ignoring blatant child neglect, but only if it happens to gay kids.... Said prosecutors have no idea what crime is as I repeatedly show them in court. How is this even considered an option? Then of course the morals of it....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:41:53 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36021 on: August 28, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »

I'm living the dream...

I honestly thought it was a lot slower than that.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #36022 on: August 28, 2011, 12:46:18 pm »

I just spent several hours of my life looking around at the various gmod games.

Seriously, what a bunch of poorly-coded clusterfucks.  I really want to like Trouble in Terrorist Town but it's even more fucked up than Space Station 13.  Empty an entire clip into a guy from point blank range, he shoots you once and you're dead.  Fuck that bullshit.
TTT is nice when you have a good community to play with. The hitboxes in gmod multiplayer in general are too screwy for any real FPS sort of thing, though...
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36023 on: August 28, 2011, 01:47:52 pm »

Ugh, more blood in my vomit.
I know it's not serious but fuck is that unsettling to see :'(
*Hugs*

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36024 on: August 28, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »

9:00 and I'm too lazy to bother with turning off my torrents~
Currently downloading at about 720 kB/s, though if the stuff I'm downloading is going strong enough, I've peaked at about 1.2 MB/s~
I'm also always seeding at about 100 kB/s, and have had that peak at about 130~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36025 on: August 28, 2011, 03:46:40 pm »

My computer is doing basically nothing else.

Also, I don't feel like going back to beat my head on Descartes' cold, pointy body and book full of total bullshit, but unluckily for me, that's what I've got to do this evening.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36026 on: August 28, 2011, 03:50:11 pm »

Also, I don't feel like going back to beat my head on Descartes' cold, pointy body and book full of total bullshit, but unluckily for me, that's what I've got to do this evening.

Speaking of, which are you reading? I only read Meditations on First Philosophy (which I suspect is Descartes Lite), but I can generalize my reactions with "Okay, this seems sensible so far and... lolwut. No, that is completely unwarranted, sir."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36027 on: August 28, 2011, 03:59:12 pm »

We're airing a double-feature on Discourse on Method and Meditations on First Philosophy.  I'm almost completely done with the former, and have to say that he basically spent half of it explaining why he gets to rip down the foundations of Western thought, another sixth talking about how excellent math is (I would pay good money for a time machine to go back in time and get a picture of his face when he gets Fermat's letters through the intervening French monk, with the quadratura of the folium), and the "main" sixth being incredibly wrong at length.

(That would be the sixth where he proves God's existence.  Mind, I'm not trying to say that God does or doesn't exist.  I'm just saying that his argument is extremely poor)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36028 on: August 28, 2011, 04:01:43 pm »

I think he was really trying too hard by that point. If he was certain that his proof was correct, he wouldn't have to do so many others.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36029 on: August 28, 2011, 04:19:18 pm »

My computer is doing basically nothing else.

Whuh? I thought you guys had good connections in USA? I'mma getting better results than that on a 4G mobile connection and I'm torrenting 10 things while the test is running. Is that some sort of budget connection, Vector?
Pages: 1 ... 2400 2401 [2402] 2403 2404 ... 8167