Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2401 2402 [2403] 2404 2405 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9434458 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36030 on: August 28, 2011, 04:23:13 pm »

ARR-HARR!

It's what I can get.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36031 on: August 28, 2011, 04:30:31 pm »

Too many subscribers for the cable service I guess.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36032 on: August 28, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »

Whuh? I thought you guys had good connections in USA?
I heard many of the wires running there are pretty outdated.
So on average the connections are better in Europe.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36033 on: August 28, 2011, 05:08:31 pm »

Absolutely massive head and stomach ache. bleh.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36034 on: August 28, 2011, 05:14:19 pm »

In the past two days, my mother has glared at me for not laughing at a joke she told about me, gotten angry at me for being an hour late to visit my grandparents when she didn't tell me everyone was going there in the first place, and now is in hysterics because she had a dream that her cat died.

Mother, when you proudly announce to the world that you're going to stop taking your anti-depressants because you're sick of the side effects, it falls upon you to go the extra mile to keep your shit in check.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36035 on: August 28, 2011, 05:16:04 pm »

Bear with her--that stuff is hard.  I do hope she's slowly weaning herself off the program like she's supposed to, right, rather than going cold turkey?

(My mom was on them when I was a little kid.  She's a lot grumpier now, but she's also a lot more fun, frankly)

EDIT: Descartes, I can smell the trans-humanism beginning to waft off the page.  Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:20:24 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36036 on: August 28, 2011, 05:29:33 pm »

Bear with her--that stuff is hard.  I do hope she's slowly weaning herself off the program like she's supposed to, right, rather than going cold turkey?

Ooooh no.  She had a month's prescription worth and mostly stayed on top of taking them until the last few and decided to "ration" them out.  I don't know if she's finished them or not but it's showing.  The point being, this is the first time she's ever taken them (at least that I can remember), so I'm perfectly aware of her personality quirks.  It's just been rapid fire for the past week, and I know she's aware of it because that's why she decided to try medication in the first place.

I would try to make things easier for her, but absolutely anything can set her off, and she does nothing to avoid what she knows will upset her.  When I was a teenager, she would call me in from another room to chew me out for not reacting strongly enough to something she just saw on TV.  A couple months ago, or whenever it was, I thought the Casey Anthony trial was going to give her a heart attack.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:32:10 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #36037 on: August 28, 2011, 05:40:55 pm »

My computer is doing basically nothing else.

Whuh? I thought you guys had good connections in USA? I'mma getting better results than that on a 4G mobile connection and I'm torrenting 10 things while the test is running. Is that some sort of budget connection, Vector?
Nope.
In 2008, the United States ranked 15th out of 30 countries in broadband penetration rates.[13] This low worldwide ranking is surprising to many, as the Internet itself was invented in the United States. The country places behind most other developed nations, including the UK, Germany, France, Denmark (#1), Switzerland, and Canada. The ranking also fuels a debate around the need for a national broadband policy, which would provide high speed broadband internet access to all citizens. The difficulty of successfully designating and distributing government funds in order to increase Internet access (particularly via broadband) are central limiting factors in the development of such a policy, but proponents believe that establishing one is necessary for social and economic progress.[11] Those demanding a national broadband policy argue that such a policy is the best method by which the United States could achieve “universal availability and adoption of truly high-speed access.[11]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_the_United_States#Implementing_a_National_Broadband_Policy
Access in the US can best be described as 'spotty.' A lot of the rural areas don't have many options when it comes to internet access. IIRC, we're also pretty costly compared to others when it comes to the higher speed stuff.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:45:05 pm by alway »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36038 on: August 28, 2011, 05:45:58 pm »

The difficulty of successfully designating and distributing government funds in order to increase Internet access (particularly via broadband) are central limiting factors in the development of such a policy, but proponents believe that establishing one is necessary for social and economic progress.[11]

Read: America could have T3 connections for 90% of the population at a fifth the current user cost, just like Japan and Germany and every other real industrial country, but AT&T likes money.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36039 on: August 28, 2011, 05:49:41 pm »

Today is the 70th anniversary of the dissolution of the Volga German SSR, and the beginning of the ensuring forced resettlement and near-genocide of not only the Volga Germans, but numerous other ethnic minorities from southern Russia.

I'll be drinking an extra toast tonight to Stalin's rotting corpse in Hell.

(In case anyone's wondering why this is a big deal to me, both of my grandmothers are Volga German. Our family got out just before the Revolution, but we lost many cousins in the pogrom.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36040 on: August 28, 2011, 06:44:08 pm »

My computer is doing basically nothing else.

Whuh? I thought you guys had good connections in USA? I'mma getting better results than that on a 4G mobile connection and I'm torrenting 10 things while the test is running. Is that some sort of budget connection, Vector?

Also from the same approximate area and Comcast (we're just over the East bay hills from each other):

Of course, we pay a combined $100USD/month for shitty tv and internet service.

On the sad note, I went from a [redacted] oil company bbq picnic of my father's in the burbs, to a mozilla/programmer/wine-filled/cat meetup overlooking SF and Castro for dinner, to a vodka/rum/weed filled college/struggling/post-Marine friends hangout near a local college in the same day.

The difference in socio-economic status and lives - so trippy and bizarre.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:55:58 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36041 on: August 28, 2011, 07:03:57 pm »

Counterstrike makes me mad.  I'm a normal human with normal human reflexes and everyone else in this game is a twelve year old crack addict who can't shoot anything but people's heads.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36042 on: August 28, 2011, 07:20:32 pm »

Counterstrike makes me mad.  I'm a normal human with normal human reflexes and everyone else in this game is a twelve year old crack addict who can't shoot anything but people's heads.

I actually got to sit in the room playing the original Counter-Strike with two guys from Korea and Taiwan.  Yep, they knew exactly where and how to headshot people through walls with the AWM, first time every time.  It was all I could do not to slap their shit after the fifth.

We decided instead to play Firearms so we'd be on the same team, where upon I was totally useless while they utterly dominated.  But that's pretty normal for any game.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36043 on: August 28, 2011, 07:27:12 pm »

Burned the inside of my mouth again :(. The worst part is pulling off the dead tissue (which hurts a little and leaves a sore spot) and the odd taste of the wound. The burning itself is always hard for me to notice for some reason. Instead of the pain you would normally expect its more of a "*chew* *chew* Hey, thats hot... *chew* aww fuck I burned myself again. *chew* *swallow*" and thats when I notice it at all. The way I feel pain is odd sometimes lol.
My personality profile.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36044 on: August 28, 2011, 07:36:07 pm »

I will probably never be able to find a RL group willing to play Dungeons: The Dragoning, and I'm unsure if it's suited to online... Plus I'd need to find somebody to run it, because my current character concept would be far less fun as an NPC of some kind.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 2401 2402 [2403] 2404 2405 ... 8167