Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2281 2282 [2283] 2284 2285 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9459388 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #34230 on: August 03, 2011, 07:06:54 pm »

Aww. Your grandma too? I feel for you. My grandmother was the first person close to me I ever lost. And the only one for years that loved me unconditionally, no matter what I was doing or what people said about me. So I can really feel for you there Lysabild .s
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34231 on: August 03, 2011, 07:19:10 pm »

I think this is the usual cusp of the end of an easy life. The last week of summer. The day before your first day at work. The week before a wedding. The usual doubts and fears for such an occasion. Thinking about how little has been accomplished and how much more one would do if summer restarted.

Dude, you got to run around Europe for a month and had fun, there is nothing wrong with that.  I've spent that time doing essentially jack shit, same as I have the previous six months since graduating college.

...Goddamn.  Anyway, early welcome back.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34232 on: August 03, 2011, 07:31:47 pm »

My maternal grandmother was the first death in my family that really got to me too.  She didn't go well... she'd neglected her diabetes, heart disease, and who knows what else, and in the last few months, didn't even seem like herself anymore.  I guess it made it easier to cope, knowing she was probably "gone" before she was actually "gone."

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #34233 on: August 03, 2011, 07:37:36 pm »

Mine died of cancer, she had lived a really hard live, abused by former men and hardly having enough money to do anything of what she really wanted to, she had a schizo son and a daughter with a huge money problem, among her grandchildren there was yet another schizo, a majorly depressed kid in problems with the municipality and school(me) and a girl with a lot of physical problems from birth.

She was 64 I think, her economy was finally getting better, she had a lovely man who adored her, she was finally getting to the prime of her life, then cancer decides no more.

She should've had 10 more years, years I'd happily subtract from my own life for everything she did for me ;_;

I fucking hate cancer.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34234 on: August 03, 2011, 07:39:15 pm »

I've never known my grandparents.
And knowing the way my parents turned out I'd probably rather not..
*Hugs*

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34235 on: August 03, 2011, 07:49:20 pm »

I am feeling terrible about myself right now. I am feeling much more worthless than I have all summer. Those who see me around know I very rarely have things to be mopey about, but this is one of those things.

I've been going back and taking the extra exams that I didn't take for whatever reason at time (there were a few of these but not many) on my online math curriculum to wrap up everything I needed to do in math for my junior year (I should be finished in a few days). Tonight I finished up an exam about rational/radical equations, absolute value inequalities, compound inequalities and all of the previous items in conjuction, in addition to other associated rulesets. It was an open book test -- I had whatever old lesson was relevant's notes and sample problems open, in addition to a calculator and my notebook and graph paper.

Less than halfway through the test it dawned upon me, as I was reading sample problems from an old lesson: I don't understand any of this. My grades were good on the stuff at the time, but now, going back, all it is is an elaborate set of rules and abstractions that increases exponentially unto itself, and I had forgotten all of it. It didn't matter how well I understood it at the time. I realized all I was really doing was churning out the next correct answer. I didn't learn anything, and since I had literally no outlet to practice those things (which might I add were not touched upon for the rest of my curriculum), I just lost them over the rest of the schoolyear and the summer.

In the end, I got a 20%. Twenty percent on my test. I'm not afraid to admit it, I really did do my best. And I'm not worried about the spot on my imaginary high school report card, either, because the rest of my grades have been pretty good. What concerns me most is the fact that I really didn't learn anything much from those lessons. Is it supposed to be this way? Am I just stupid? Is there something I didn't do right? I really, really wanted to believe I was fit to be a mathematician. But if I can just lose a whole set of math concepts so easily, and then find them entirely incomprehensible when I go back and try to re-learn them quickly, maybe I'm not cut out for math in general. In fact, I'm not any better at geometry.

In the end, it's nobodies fault but my own. But I still feel like there was something else entirely I could have done better, I just don't know what.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:52:59 pm by freeformschooler »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34236 on: August 03, 2011, 08:02:02 pm »

From what I've been told, the higher level mathematics you do, the harder it is to do the simpler stuff. Don't worry. You will do better.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34237 on: August 03, 2011, 08:13:38 pm »

Making mistakes and forgetting stuff is part of life. If you want to be a mathematician, then I don't see how this is somehow a negative foreshadowing of your future; it's just showing that you're human.

If you forgot something, re-learn it. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off. You'll never do anything perfectly without error, after all.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34238 on: August 03, 2011, 08:25:24 pm »

I guess so. I can always pick it up and learn it again, but I've never been good in general at math. It's what's kept me from being a really great programmer :(

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34239 on: August 03, 2011, 08:45:31 pm »

From what I've been told, the higher level mathematics you do, the harder it is to do the simpler stuff. Don't worry. You will do better.

This is true.

I do not want to admit how many times I have gone back to remind myself that 2+2=4.

I guess so. I can always pick it up and learn it again, but I've never been good in general at math. It's what's kept me from being a really great programmer :(

Mathematics, as I am discovering this summer, needs to be constantly practiced to keep yourself in the zone.  So... if you had it once, go back and learn it until you have it again.  And then keep practicing it.

I thought you wanted to be a mathematician, though?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34240 on: August 03, 2011, 08:49:46 pm »

Thanks for the advice guys, esp. Vector who is a in fact a real, living mathematician. In the future I'll probably have an easier time with math, including more outlets for regularly practicing it. I guess it's like anything that you have to "keep up".

I thought you wanted to be a mathematician, though?

No, I don't want to have mathematician as my job title, I want to be the other definition of mathematician so that I can be good at the things I want to do for my ideal career choice, which includes programming.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34241 on: August 03, 2011, 08:58:37 pm »

... So that's why people keep calling me a mathematician.  I thought that was weird.  Well, keep going, you'll get it eventually.

I am sad today because Nikov was b&.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34242 on: August 03, 2011, 09:01:36 pm »

I am also sad about Nikov's banning.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34243 on: August 03, 2011, 09:03:16 pm »

Oh, really?

What did he do?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34244 on: August 03, 2011, 09:04:13 pm »

According to Toady, his posts in and about the debt ceiling thread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2281 2282 [2283] 2284 2285 ... 8167