Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2212 2213 [2214] 2215 2216 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455176 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #33195 on: July 18, 2011, 03:51:00 pm »

Not everybody's a native speaker and turning a mistake into a joke is hostile in my book.

Oh... see, I think the point of turning it in a joke is making it something fun, rather than a mistake.

I can understand why you'd feel that way, though.

I find it in general really irritating being corrected by english speakers, if I make a mistake and a dutch guy points it out, it's just "Oh, thanks." but when english people "Lol learn to spell" it's just.. -_-.. Half the world is learning english to communicate, being a dick about it being your first language is piss poor behaviour. That said, I'm 100% sure RedKing didn't mean anything bad, at all.

Edit directed at below post: Native speakers have a huge habit of being monsterously arrogant, especially if they only speak one language.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:56:19 pm by Lysabild »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33196 on: July 18, 2011, 03:53:55 pm »

I never understood this one bit. If I was posting in a Spanish forum, I'd be thrilled to have someone point out my mistakes, especially in a humorous way. When it's done in a non-hostile manner, WHY would you not want to be told you used the wrong word?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33197 on: July 18, 2011, 03:55:53 pm »

I find it in general really irritating being corrected by english speakers, if I make a mistake and a dutch guy points it out, it's just "Oh, thanks." but when english people "Lol learn to spell" it's just.. -_-.. Half the world is learning english to communicate, being a dick about it being your first language is piss poor behaviour. That said, I'm 100% sure RedKing didn't mean anything bad, at all.

I don't think that's just native English speakers.  You seem to have something against them, or Americans in general, but I know that I've gotten plenty of shit in other languages from native speakers--they couldn't even tell I was American, too.  More, even, than making a joke out of minor typographical errors.

That's not to say, of course, that English speakers don't do more than typographical jokes and aren't necessarily more irritating overall, but I really don't think it's just us.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #33198 on: July 18, 2011, 03:58:25 pm »

I don't think that's just native English speakers.  You seem to have something against them, or Americans in general, but I know that I've gotten plenty of shit in other languages from native speakers--they couldn't even tell I was American, too.  More, even, than making a joke out of minor typographical errors.

That's not to say, of course, that English speakers don't do more than typographical jokes and aren't necessarily more irritating overall, but I really don't think it's just us.

I expressed myself a bit wrongly, I don't mean to say that it's only English speakers, it's in general Native speakers with only one language that tend to behave as such.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33199 on: July 18, 2011, 04:04:27 pm »

Ah-ha, okay.  Thanks for the clarification =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33200 on: July 18, 2011, 04:17:15 pm »

Oh... see, I think the point of turning it in a joke is making it something fun, rather than a mistake.

No, I'd rather have it pointed out in a serious manner.
Some time ago, I would have felt ashamed and wouldn't visit bay12 for a few days after such an incident. But now I'm so far that I can tell people how I feel about it and I'll be using my right to do that.

But really, seriously I don't see the need to take it or her comment so hostile.

I didn't mean to be hostile, I'm simply upset. Sorry about that.

Besides it's good to learn to laugh at your own mistakes.

Most of the people I've met during my short life have already taken care to laugh about my inability and mistakes, so I don't know if I'll be ever able too.
Right now I need to calm down enough, to stop my head from being glowing red and to make the twitching stop.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:21:17 pm by Mindmaker »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #33201 on: July 18, 2011, 04:29:24 pm »

I know we've bumped heads sometimes Mindmaker... But you seem so stressed all the time. I'm actually genuinely worried...

I think you need some form of release. All that building up so fast or just staying there can't be good for anyone. Most people suggest writing or drawing or something but something constructive to direct yourself to might go a long way. Even anger can make something wonderful when it's piped in the right direction.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33202 on: July 18, 2011, 04:39:49 pm »

My annoying boss. If we spend $100, which includes a 10% surcharge, you can't assume that the surcharge was $10. Math does not work that way.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33203 on: July 18, 2011, 04:44:16 pm »

Funny thing is, that I'm usually not the person to get angered quickly. Sure it takes a single remark from my family to make me explode, but we have a long history together.
It's the medication I'm taking for the second month now, which stops me from being pathologically restrained. I can't say that I don't like that.
In due time I might become a even-tempered person.

I feel bad about the fact, that a part of me deeply satisfied with this situation. "See? Just takes being a little rude and suddenly people are actually talking to you. Well done." Such a horrible, horrible person...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33204 on: July 18, 2011, 04:56:24 pm »

If it's any consolation, Mindmaker, I read what you meant. Stupid me, skimming instead of actually reading.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #33205 on: July 18, 2011, 05:29:32 pm »

I can't draw for shit and don't have the motivation to learn to draw because I can't draw for shit.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33206 on: July 18, 2011, 05:31:01 pm »

I can't draw for shit and don't have the motivation to learn to draw because I can't draw for shit.
When in doubt, use inkscape.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #33207 on: July 18, 2011, 05:33:36 pm »

I really don't see how a vector graphics program helps that.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #33208 on: July 18, 2011, 05:37:26 pm »

I found a site that looks fantastic in the prospect of me wanting to learn german, a wonderful collaboration between the danish and german part of Slesvig for germans to learn danish, and danes to learn german. However, it seems ultimately borked, the german lessons are en german, and the danish lesson in danish.

How is this a good start? A german will not learn danish by me saying "Hej, jeg vil nu lære dig mit sprog." without some basics given in his own language first.

Hrnngnghh, COME ON MAN, I NEED MY 4th LANGUAGE STARTED.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33209 on: July 18, 2011, 05:40:48 pm »

I found a site that looks fantastic in the prospect of me wanting to learn german, a wonderful collaboration between the danish and german part of Slesvig for germans to learn danish, and danes to learn german. However, it seems ultimately borked, the german lessons are en german, and the danish lesson in danish.

How is this a good start? A german will not learn danish by me saying "Hej, jeg vil nu lære dig mit sprog." without some basics given in his own language first.

Hrnngnghh, COME ON MAN, I NEED MY 4th LANGUAGE STARTED.

"Bier, bitte!" and "Wo is das toiletten?" All you need to know.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 2212 2213 [2214] 2215 2216 ... 8167