Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2173 2174 [2175] 2176 2177 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451876 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32610 on: July 08, 2011, 03:57:01 pm »

I am sad that research of any kind is seen as a preferable casualty to corporate tax cuts, to use an annoying buzzphrase that I can't really think of a better replacement for. Can't really think of a way in which research (again, of any kind) is less good for the economy, even leaving aside my opinions on which deserves priority.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #32611 on: July 08, 2011, 03:58:37 pm »

I am sad that research of any kind is seen as a preferable casualty to corporate tax cuts, to use an annoying buzzphrase that I can't really think of a better replacement for. Can't really think of a way in which research (again, of any kind) is less good for the economy, even leaving aside my opinions on which deserves priority.

Fine and neutral words with which I can only agree upon.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32612 on: July 08, 2011, 04:15:57 pm »

The part I mostly don't get is why I didn't study sooner, and why the fuck the Germans would tolerate so many exceptions and so on in the case system.
Would you mind to get more specific?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32613 on: July 08, 2011, 04:26:47 pm »

The part I mostly don't get is why I didn't study sooner, and why the fuck the Germans would tolerate so many exceptions and so on in the case system.
Would you mind to get more specific?

Der Das Die - okay.

Dem Dem Der - . . . and then of course In + Dem = im, an + dem = am

Den Das Die - so now we have in das = ins, auf das = aufs, etc.

But then we get into the differences between Wer, Wen, Wem--and why would we even need a difference between Wenn and Wann, and why are they so similar?  And Wohim/Woher/Wo.  It's like they're shooting question words out of a rapid-fire cannon here or something.

And all of the okay, when do we say

Mein/meine vs. meinen/mein/meine vs. meinem/meiner (and all the same things for the indefinite article, i.e. einen/ein/eine)

And that's not even getting into pronouns, which are also absurdly complicated.  It's cool that the formal is absorbed into the feminine pronoun, but all of this "Okay, when ihn... when ihm... when ihr... when Ihr... when Ihren" is driving me bonkers.

Oh, and you know what?

The past tense!  Why would you even do that?  Shreiben but geshrieben, treffen but getroffen, bringen but gebracht, and I'm not even getting into seperable prefix absurdity.

Or the difficulties of trying to pluralize anything.  And the long words like "Schreibwarengeschäft," which are regrettably starting to appear more normal.  And the lack of gender rules, other than "Well, if it's got e at the end it's probably female."

And they haven't even taught us adjectives yet.  Or how to say "if."  No conditionals!  No food words!  No nothing!  No, seriously--they didn't teach us to say "nothing" yet.

Yeah, I don't know if it's the class or the language, but I'm not too happy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32614 on: July 08, 2011, 04:30:47 pm »

I think I need to read up on stuff like panic attacks and anxiety. I seem to have grown more paranoid and anxious the more i have been in a different setting, and I'm pretty sure these feelings of inadequacy, paranoia and feeling like I have to justify everything by some shaky moral system based entirely on my fears of social retardation. Even more haunting is the fact that I don't really have an outlet which to try and understand this though, as my sorrows feel somewhat petty in the grand scheme of things and there is no time for me and my issues I can't really elaborate upon.

I am being a lot braver than usual back at home, but my courage is rewarded by running headlong into a latent stutter and lisp that emerged after my dog died. Combined with paranoia and fear I end up in the same damn situation of not saying anything and avoiding social situations.

But the worst thing that I've come to terms with is some self-awareness of wanting to keep these sorrows around. I'll be moping on my bed and realize that this entire charade is completely silly and ridiculous. All my fears and problems are petty little things that I am holding onto in a desperate grab for... I dunno actually. Probably some feeling of inadequacy that would somehow be filled by having problems to show off and be acknowledged.

I'm just posting this here because due to these issues I really don't have the confidence to confide this in anybody I know, so the web will have to do. And if anybody feels like taking the time to psychoanalyze this for all the help it'll do, I keep having these vivid flashbacks to this one time I almost lost my hand sledding and panicking a little over the memory. Seems pretty disconnected from the current issue, but if it keeps being brought up by my subconscious then there has to be some significance to it.

Brothers wedding is tomorrow, so gonna be away for a few days. I may have some relevant stories the inlaws have about languages as they all know like five.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32615 on: July 08, 2011, 04:43:30 pm »

Oh boy. That brings up memories of learning polish/english.
Though only the former one was really complicated.

I've never been much a rule-person when it came to languages. I rely on my gut feeling for that, which works suprisingly well.

Eh, I'm probably not good at explaining stuff, but if I can help in any way, feel free to ask.
It's not like I have anything to do  >.>

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32616 on: July 08, 2011, 04:47:22 pm »

But then we get into the differences between Wer, Wen, Wem--and why would we even need a difference between Wenn and Wann, and why are they so similar?  And Wohim/Woher/Wo.  It's like they're shooting question words out of a rapid-fire cannon here or something.
Wenn is more of a conditional if, while wann is more of a when. Most people actually have more problems with wo (!=who), wer(!=where) and wen(!=when).

Mein/meine vs. meinen/mein/meine vs. meinem/meiner (and all the same things for the indefinite article, i.e. einen/ein/eine)
Not really that complicated. Basically the endings usually are the same as in adjectives.

And that's not even getting into pronouns, which are also absurdly complicated.  It's cool that the formal is absorbed into the feminine pronoun, but all of this "Okay, when ihn... when ihm... when ihr... when Ihr... when Ihren" is driving me bonkers.
Uh... yeah, I'll give you that. But there are worse languages in that respect.

The past tense!  Why would you even do that?  Shreiben but geshrieben, treffen but getroffen, bringen but gebracht, and I'm not even getting into seperable prefix absurdity.
English isn't any different in that respect really. e.g.write but wrote etc.

Or the difficulties of trying to pluralize anything.  And the long words like "Schreibwarengeschäft," which are regrettably starting to appear more normal.
Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft. Herpaderp.
And the lack of gender rules, other than "Well, if it's got e at the end it's probably female."
Unfortunately not even that is true. e.g. Rüde, which means male dog.
And they haven't even taught us adjectives yet.
Well I think it's only your first year so that makes sense. Not really that difficult sinceit's similar to English but with endingss attached 
Or how to say "if."  No conditionals!
"Wenn" or "fall". Use those to sound smart. And now I realize that you don't need those words for that. 
No food words!  No nothing!  No, seriously--they didn't teach us to say "nothing" yet.
"Bier", "Bratwurst", "Döner", "Berliner", "Thüringer", "Amerikaner". oh, and "Hamburger" of course.

Yeah, I don't know if it's the class or the language, but I'm not too happy.
Definitely the class.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:50:16 pm by Darvi »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #32617 on: July 08, 2011, 04:53:44 pm »

Vector, if its of anyhelp: when I had german last semester I took to listen rammstein songs full time (with the lyrics at hand) to practice
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #32618 on: July 08, 2011, 04:57:35 pm »

Vector, if its of anyhelp: when I had german last semester I took to listen rammstein songs full time (with the lyrics at hand) to practice
In this regard I'll recommend Deichkind, Elis and Megahertz too, among more actually.

EDIT: PRINZEN! Those are fantastic, and they're often used in class when learning German in Denmark.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:05:11 pm by Lysabild »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32619 on: July 08, 2011, 04:58:25 pm »

Nah, thanks, you guys... it's mostly okay.

I try not to be a rule person either, but German is for some reason not a language I feel I can exactly chatterbox around in.  I have to plan my sentences a lot more, due to the conjugated verb coming early and everything else sort of falling at the end.  Not even Japanese has annoyed me so much in this regard.

Doesn't help either that I don't just get mental clashes from one language, but four.  I start in German and end up finishing the sentence in French, Russian, or Japanese.  Because those are the languages I'd rather be speaking >_> <______<

Hmm.  Worth a try.  Thanks.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32620 on: July 08, 2011, 05:03:12 pm »

Hm, my German class focused more on just speaking stuff early and only delved into grammar later and when necessary.  Perhaps not so great for a deep understanding of the language, but it at least made learning it more bearable I thought.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32621 on: July 08, 2011, 05:06:23 pm »

We're not arguing what is worst, I'm merely voicing my opinion and giving my arguements as to why I don't bemoan the possiblity of no more manned flights, that it's being given to the pricate sector is the only thing I find terrible in those news.

Sure, I'd rather other things changed too, but we're not discussing those things now, small things count too in the grand scheme and I am of the firm believe the money are better spend elsewhere.

... and?

Little lesson on free speech, you say stuff to people and people say stuff back to you. This most definitely includes disagreements. Many, many people disagree with me. You either present a counterpoint and proof to the contrary or not. Do not bemoan their disagreement. Theirs is the right to talk same as yours....

If you expect nothing but an echo chamber of approval, then you are in the wrong world....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32622 on: July 08, 2011, 05:07:06 pm »

Be happy you're not studying Finnish. Every noun has 15 singular and 15 plural grammatical cases. If teaching Finnish is anything like teaching English or Swedish around here, I wouldn't want to study it.

Just imagine a word test, where you have to fill in every one of the 30 forms of the word  :o

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32623 on: July 08, 2011, 05:08:37 pm »

Be happy you're not studying Finnish. Every noun has 15 singular and 15 plural grammatical cases. If teaching Finnish is anything like teaching English or Swedish around here, I wouldn't want to study it.

Just imagine a word test, where you have to fill in every one of the 30 forms of the word  :o

Sweet Mother MacArthur! What do the Finns do with them all?

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #32624 on: July 08, 2011, 05:09:49 pm »

We're not arguing what is worst, I'm merely voicing my opinion and giving my arguements as to why I don't bemoan the possiblity of no more manned flights, that it's being given to the pricate sector is the only thing I find terrible in those news.

Sure, I'd rather other things changed too, but we're not discussing those things now, small things count too in the grand scheme and I am of the firm believe the money are better spend elsewhere.

... and?

Little lesson on free speech, you say stuff to people and people say stuff back to you. This most definitely includes disagreements. Many, many people disagree with me. You either present a counterpoint and proof to the contrary or not. Do not bemoan their disagreement. Theirs is the right to talk same as yours....

If you expect nothing but an echo chamber of approval, then you are in the wrong world....

Firstly, I don't see what my quote has to do with what you're saying at all. Try reading my quote again.

Secondly, that discussion is dead by now, let it rest?

Also, Finnish is fucking delicious.
Pages: 1 ... 2173 2174 [2175] 2176 2177 ... 8167