Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2172 2173 [2174] 2175 2176 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451753 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32595 on: July 08, 2011, 03:00:14 pm »

And I'm in the firm belief that the money that america spent on their defense budget would have been far better spend in space research so we can get off this damn rock.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32596 on: July 08, 2011, 03:01:13 pm »

Why is it almost everytime I discuss anything with Americans it comes to these things and this gangbang mentality?
Oi! I resent that >:(

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #32597 on: July 08, 2011, 03:03:19 pm »

And I'm in the firm belief that the money that america spent on their defense budget would have been far better spend in space research so we can get off this damn rock.
But...maan! Predator drones!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dimitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32598 on: July 08, 2011, 03:04:25 pm »

reasonable self defence

And this is what we seem to be at odds on. There is no clear-cut way to define 'reasonable' in something as chaotic as physical conflict, especially when you add the obvious human element.
Admittedly, I am rather biased on this subject. The last and only time I tried to walk away at a seemingly 'reasonable' point, I took a brick to the back of the head.

The only 'reasonable' self defence to me is fighting back with similar force. They use fists, you use fists. They pull a knife? You pull a knife.

Like I said earlier, different ideologies, different experiences, and more than likely, different upbringing.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #32599 on: July 08, 2011, 03:04:43 pm »

Why is it almost everytime I discuss anything with Americans it comes to these things and this gangbang mentality?
You say it as if you think you know whether everyone conversing here is American or not.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32600 on: July 08, 2011, 03:04:58 pm »

I kind of wonder how Lysabild justifies the existence of anyone in, say, mathematics or physics.  It's not like you need a mathematician or a theoretical physicist to train an engineer or a computer scientist.

Because, you know.  Only stuff with immediate applications.  Only stuff that you can put on a business card without people saying "So, uh, how is that useful for you?"

For fuck's sake.  Apply that logic a couple of other places and see how it works.

Oh, and frankly, the space system was great for morale/patriotism/etc., which is basically what America seems to run on when things are getting really shitty.

Things are getting really shitty.

Possibly because you have no clue what you're talking about, and learning about the far-reaching consequences of the Space Race and so on was a rather large part of our schooling.

Do we tell you how to be Danish?  No.  That's up to the Danes.  This is part of our culture which I will be very, very sad to see go.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32601 on: July 08, 2011, 03:05:44 pm »

If you look back at the context, "finishing the fight" seemed to fundamentally go beyond reasonable self defence (I even made this distinction clearly in my post - this is also why I used inverted commas, to indicate that I was following Fenrir's definition).  Fenrir also mentioned that "finishing the fight" would involve teaching the other person a lesson under his definition (and he was responding to my comment on retaliation).  If Fenrir really was referring only to self defence, then it was under pretty confusing circumstances.

If you look back at the context, you will see that, after quoting Dimitri, you defined “fighting back” on your own as “fighting for revenge” with no reason to suppose that such was what Dimitri meant. I am pointing out that fighting in my own defense is different from being attacked, and offering a solid defense could very well leave an assailant bloodied, so there is no reason to suppose that I meant you should continue to beat him after the battle is won. Condemning all fighting without looking at the goals is silly.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #32602 on: July 08, 2011, 03:08:15 pm »

Oi! I resent that >:(

You've not discussed anything, you've shitposted as always.

And then that is that, all I did was defend my beliefs from a bunch of attacks on my intelligence.

You say it as if you think you know whether everyone conversing here is American or not.

I know more or less who is and who isn't, fact is the majority is.

And to Vector:

When America plays police of the world and projects their culture and values on to me daily, I feel I have enough of a right to comment on American news, ideas and culture. Apart from that' despite again insulting my intelligence you prove some of my points.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #32603 on: July 08, 2011, 03:17:08 pm »

I know more or less who is and who isn't, fact is the majority is.
And what makes you think you can suddenly tell if someone is a certain nationality right off the bat?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32604 on: July 08, 2011, 03:19:58 pm »

If you look back at the context, you will see that, after quoting Dimitri, you defined “fighting back” on your own as “fighting for revenge” with no reason to suppose that such was what Dimitri meant. I am pointing out that fighting in my own defense is different from being attacked, and offering a solid defense could very well leave an assailant bloodied, so there is no reason to suppose that I meant you should continue to beat him after the battle is won. Condemning all fighting without looking at the goals is silly.
Right, I misunderstood then.  To me, "fighting back" strongly implies revenge beyond attempting to defend yourself (due to its military connotations and the like) but I guess that might not be the same for everyone.  I did make the distinction in that post between self defence and that though.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32605 on: July 08, 2011, 03:32:21 pm »

yeah, as if the space program budget is being redirected towards cancer research

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32606 on: July 08, 2011, 03:32:50 pm »

I don't have the energy for all this arguing anymore.  I didn't insult your intelligence, but very well.

Frankly, I just can't take this anymore.  All right?  My country is going down the drain, our leadership is doing absurd things, and it's obvious that checks and balances are no longer being observed.  The constitution didn't take corporations into fucking account, or any number of things, and in my opinion we're basically going to keep falling down until the vast majority of people figure out what the hell is going on.

Of course, given that their ability to do that is severely diminished due to dying educational systems and lowered scientific research, I think we're basically done.

So don't worry!  Soon enough you'll have another country's "bad" choices to complain about.

Anyway, I failed my German test today, so I guess I'll go work on that.  Hooray.  Feel terrible.  Tired of people looking at me funny.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32607 on: July 08, 2011, 03:34:23 pm »

Vector, you can do what I did and bail.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32608 on: July 08, 2011, 03:35:29 pm »

Anyway, I failed my German test today, so I guess I'll go work on that.  Hooray.  Feel terrible.  Tired of people looking at me funny.
Is there any particular part of it that you don't get?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32609 on: July 08, 2011, 03:47:17 pm »

The part I mostly don't get is why I didn't study sooner, and why the fuck the Germans would tolerate so many exceptions and so on in the case system.

Oh, and why someone thought this textbook system was a good idea, because they're wronger than a thing full of wrongness.

Pages: 1 ... 2172 2173 [2174] 2175 2176 ... 8167