Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1791 1792 [1793] 1794 1795 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9464755 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #26880 on: April 07, 2011, 11:26:47 am »

Austria (below Germany, above Italy).

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26881 on: April 07, 2011, 11:29:23 am »

Yea definitely not walking, hello from colorado.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26882 on: April 07, 2011, 11:31:11 am »

Yeah, I think that my school could have compressed third and fourth grade without hesitation. Same for fifth and sixth. I started ignoring the system once I got to high school, though. At least for math. The curriculum was abominably slow, so I made my own path.

Old system (2 years ago): Integrated I => Integrated II => Integrated III => Pre-Calc => Calc (very rare.)
New system (implemented last year): Algebra I => Geometry => Algebra II => Pre-Calc => Calc (very rare)

ME
9th: Integrated I (They didn't have room in the advanced class that skipped 8th grade math to let some kids do this in 8th grade.)

9.5: A couple friends of mine had a wacky idea to 'get ahead' in math by taking Integrated III over the summer. My current Calc teacher (the delegate one) offered to do it, even though the school district refused to pay her. (She's one of those people that love math as much, if not more, than I do. Vector-esque, perhaps.) They were among the 8th graders who had taken Integrated I, so they had already finished Integrated II by the time 9th grade was over. I had not. But I was pissed off at being stuck in lower level math. I joined in and worked my ass off to not only complete the class, but also learn everything that everyone else learned over the course of the past year. All of this in 6 weeks. My compadres were proud of squeezing 9 months of class into 1.5. I fit in 18.

10: The school district changed to the new curriculum this year, so instead of Integrated II I took Geometry. I also took Pre-Calculus. This confused the living hell out of the administration. My principal is an ass, so he wouldn't let me test out of Geometry even though I clearly knew (I demonstrated.) everything the course taught. Technically, he did allow me to test out, but I would only get an elective credit, and you specifically need a Geometry credit to graduate. Nobody knows why he is still the principal. I seriously doubt he will retain his position after this year, with the way he's been running the school. "No, we have to stick to the old standards until we are forced to change! We live in an ass-backwards rural town! It has to be this way!" doesn't fly too well with parents.

11: This year I'm taking Calculus at the high school, plus Statistics at the local community college. My principal was (again) pants-on-head retarded and wouldn't let my super-fantastic teacher teach Calculus as a semester class instead of a year-long class, even though it's only a quarterlength class at most colleges. (He didn't think we could handle it.) As a result, I've spent the past few months learning the shit out of math on my own time, because we have literally nothing to do in Calculus any more. We finished everything before the semester finished. We went through each section again out of boredom. Now we're doing random lessons from higher math because my teacher can't stand to do nothing. It's awesome.

12: Next year I'll be in an interesting position. I'll have run out of math. Well, for credit anyway. My Calc teacher finally convinced my idiotic principal to let her teach Calculus II and III as semester classes, with the class being made up entirely of those who took the Integrated III class to 'get ahead' back up there in 9.5. The sad part is that there are no higher math classes at the community college and [INSERT STATE COLLEGE]'s articulation agreement with my Calc teacher means that anything beyond Calc III won't count for credit. (The others do.) In my free time I'll still be unofficially learning more math, though.

End result: Normal students get four years if very basic math and zero college credit. Students who are willing to go nigh insane to learn more math get 8 math courses and end up with 30 college credits. I figure that it shouldn't be too hard to go in between and make at least getting through Calculus standard for high school.
I found a program that lets me get high school credit while going to college. So yeah, if I were to get off my butt and take a couple P.E. classes, I could've had a high school diploma by 1st semester sophomore year. I also managed to take college Calculus in the first semester of sophomore year by testing out of high school math. So I'm currently at a state university where I would normally be spending another year or two in high school before ever going up to college. SYSTEM MANIPULATION WHOO.

As for the sad part of this post...
Urgh. Every time I inspire myself to draw I'm in no situation to prepare myself properly and get shit done. When I have plenty of time and opportunity I have no motivation to get to it.

I'll try to salvage something in the morning. I hope.
This. This ALWAYS happens to me. As a bonus, whenever I draw something, it's almost never good enough to be worth dumping into GIMP and revamping. And even the stuff I DO dump into GIMP comes out looking... well, a lot like my avatar, but worse. That's actually one of the better things I've made.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26883 on: April 07, 2011, 12:26:18 pm »

I have an essay that's worth 30% of my (university course) mark that was supposed to be done three weeks ago, and now I have less than 24 hours to do it in.

HA HA, LET'S DO THIS
GO

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26884 on: April 07, 2011, 12:28:30 pm »

I have an essay that's worth 30% of my (university course) mark that was supposed to be done three weeks ago, and now I have less than 24 hours to do it in.

HA HA, LET'S DO THIS
GO

WAIT.
Use the Force.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26885 on: April 07, 2011, 12:31:09 pm »

*sigh*

This semester has been one big, colossal fuckup after another.  Next semester will be better--I speak from experience, from last time that I wound up getting C's and then wound up with straight A's the semester after that.

Still--Big.  Colossal.  Fuckup.  BIG.  COLOSSAL.  FUCKING.  FUCKUP.

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

The probability of my being anything but a barista or, god forbid, a programmer seems to be decreasing more and more as I get older.  What am I going to do of use?  I'm not even that happy... I want to be useful, and I want to do well, but I've kind of unsalvageably messed up this semester and I feel really bad about it.

Well, at least I'm taking an intensive German course over the summer, so that will help me get my ass in gear.  The first step is to start setting aside time every day for homework, and attempting to get myself a more regular bedtime :I  I can't do the sleep-loss mambo anymore, and I can't keep living such a sedentary lifestyle, and I can't keep living so far away from all human contact, and I can't keep wasting time, and I can't keep being so... immature.

I just feel stupid, unsuccessful, clumsy, lazy, and generally horrible.  There's nothing else I can say.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #26886 on: April 07, 2011, 12:37:50 pm »

Vector: Don't worry about it, everyone gets to screw up a couple semesters of college. And making a bunch of 'c's isn't a screw up. Its just being normal, even smart people get to do that occasionally.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #26887 on: April 07, 2011, 01:56:52 pm »

Grandmother was taken to the hospital this morning, it's either the swelling in her foot and leg or it is the breathing problems. Or both. Either way, I hope she turns out okay. :<

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26888 on: April 07, 2011, 02:28:33 pm »

You're being a bit hard on yourself, Vector.

I mean, I don't know much about how university looks like in the US, but how much areas are you trying to master compared to the average student?
Maybe this is the tradeoff you have to make, to be a jane-of-all-trades.
Even if it's not, it probably isn't the insurmountable barrier you're viewing it as.
You may simply need some time off, to do something different, something you never came around doing while you were busy this semester, so you can come back with a brighter outlook on live.

Having a lingual course over the summer seems to be a good idea, especially if you feel burnt-out.
You're doing something different, that you like and it's actually productive, compared to what most students do during the summer break.
I myself am going to spend 2 weeks in Poland, on a language course for polish, since I might be able to incorporate it in my future endeavors.

I'm sure things are going to pick up soon enough.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26889 on: April 07, 2011, 03:46:00 pm »

The probability of my being anything but a barista or, god forbid, a programmer seems to be decreasing more and more as I get older.  What am I going to do of use?  I'm not even that happy... I want to be useful, and I want to do well, but I've kind of unsalvageably messed up this semester and I feel really bad about it.

I suspect you could be a successful teacher, and a writer, should you decide you want to follow that path. Don't delude yourself out of your accomplishments, talents, and good qualities. Similarly, when you notice less-than-ideal things in your life, use that awareness to take action; as soon as you're aware of a problem, you've already decided to fix it. What's left is only to move forward.

As a wise friend once advised me, "live consciously".

Perhaps a helpful quote:
Quote from: Helen Keller
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

Grandmother was taken to the hospital this morning, it's either the swelling in her foot and leg or it is the breathing problems. Or both. Either way, I hope she turns out okay. :<

Going through something similar with my Grandpa right now, so I know how you feel. I hope she's alright too, man.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26890 on: April 07, 2011, 03:46:47 pm »

[latepost] A waitress in a Chinese restaurant attempted to teach me to use chopsticks, even after I declined her offer. After five minutes or so of awkward refusal, my father in law's girlfriend piped up, "Lady, he's a f***ing black belt. He knows how to use f***ing chopsticks." Ensue deer in headlights look.[/latepost]

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #26891 on: April 07, 2011, 04:01:04 pm »

Hehe. Sorry, Zero, but that was pretty funny. The folly of good intentions sometimes.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #26892 on: April 07, 2011, 04:02:44 pm »

[latepost] A waitress in a Chinese restaurant attempted to teach me to use chopsticks, even after I declined her offer. After five minutes or so of awkward refusal, my father in law's girlfriend piped up, "Lady, he's a f***ing black belt. He knows how to use f***ing chopsticks." Ensue deer in headlights look.[/latepost]

If the girl was cute, I wouldn't have minded. But you mentioned your father in law was there? that that probably wouldn't work in your favor.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26893 on: April 07, 2011, 04:55:47 pm »

Shit, wrong emotion thread
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:00:00 pm by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26894 on: April 07, 2011, 04:55:58 pm »

I hate it, when you're stuck with the 'conversational ball'.
It often turns conversations into iterrogrations and most people are ok with it.

It's just that it has become a chore to me, to keep internet conversations from dying.
Pages: 1 ... 1791 1792 [1793] 1794 1795 ... 8167