Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1788 1789 [1790] 1791 1792 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465564 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #26835 on: April 06, 2011, 11:54:59 pm »

Yeah, I think that my school could have compressed third and fourth grade without hesitation. Same for fifth and sixth. I started ignoring the system once I got to high school, though. At least for math. The curriculum was abominably slow, so I made my own path.

Old system (2 years ago): Integrated I => Integrated II => Integrated III => Pre-Calc => Calc (very rare.)
New system (implemented last year): Algebra I => Geometry => Algebra II => Pre-Calc => Calc (very rare)

ME
9th: Integrated I (They didn't have room in the advanced class that skipped 8th grade math to let some kids do this in 8th grade.)

9.5: A couple friends of mine had a wacky idea to 'get ahead' in math by taking Integrated III over the summer. My current Calc teacher (the delegate one) offered to do it, even though the school district refused to pay her. (She's one of those people that love math as much, if not more, than I do. Vector-esque, perhaps.) They were among the 8th graders who had taken Integrated I, so they had already finished Integrated II by the time 9th grade was over. I had not. But I was pissed off at being stuck in lower level math. I joined in and worked my ass off to not only complete the class, but also learn everything that everyone else learned over the course of the past year. All of this in 6 weeks. My compadres were proud of squeezing 9 months of class into 1.5. I fit in 18.

10: The school district changed to the new curriculum this year, so instead of Integrated II I took Geometry. I also took Pre-Calculus. This confused the living hell out of the administration. My principal is an ass, so he wouldn't let me test out of Geometry even though I clearly knew (I demonstrated.) everything the course taught. Technically, he did allow me to test out, but I would only get an elective credit, and you specifically need a Geometry credit to graduate. Nobody knows why he is still the principal. I seriously doubt he will retain his position after this year, with the way he's been running the school. "No, we have to stick to the old standards until we are forced to change! We live in an ass-backwards rural town! It has to be this way!" doesn't fly too well with parents.

11: This year I'm taking Calculus at the high school, plus Statistics at the local community college. My principal was (again) pants-on-head retarded and wouldn't let my super-fantastic teacher teach Calculus as a semester class instead of a year-long class, even though it's only a quarterlength class at most colleges. (He didn't think we could handle it.) As a result, I've spent the past few months learning the shit out of math on my own time, because we have literally nothing to do in Calculus any more. We finished everything before the semester finished. We went through each section again out of boredom. Now we're doing random lessons from higher math because my teacher can't stand to do nothing. It's awesome.

12: Next year I'll be in an interesting position. I'll have run out of math. Well, for credit anyway. My Calc teacher finally convinced my idiotic principal to let her teach Calculus II and III as semester classes, with the class being made up entirely of those who took the Integrated III class to 'get ahead' back up there in 9.5. The sad part is that there are no higher math classes at the community college and [INSERT STATE COLLEGE]'s articulation agreement with my Calc teacher means that anything beyond Calc III won't count for credit. (The others do.) In my free time I'll still be unofficially learning more math, though.

End result: Normal students get four years if very basic math and zero college credit. Students who are willing to go nigh insane to learn more math get 8 math courses and end up with 30 college credits. I figure that it shouldn't be too hard to go in between and make at least getting through Calculus standard for high school.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26836 on: April 07, 2011, 01:35:12 am »

Ugh... Feel like crap again.. really don't want to go in today but i have to..
*Hugs*

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26837 on: April 07, 2011, 01:42:16 am »

Eh not enough sleep, parents fault...
Should use the several hours I got, for not being a self-centered, whiny ass for now.
I'll have the rest of the day for being that...

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26838 on: April 07, 2011, 01:42:55 am »

Ah... Going to fail. Big time.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26839 on: April 07, 2011, 01:44:40 am »

Going to fail what?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26840 on: April 07, 2011, 01:47:21 am »

Urgh. Every time I inspire myself to draw I'm in no situation to prepare myself properly and get shit done. When I have plenty of time and opportunity I have no motivation to get to it.

I'll try to salvage something in the morning. I hope.

Edit: Eurgh. I close everything to go to bed, turn off the lights, and BAM! Dog flackbacks and subsequent breakdown.

Why you no like me sleep, mind?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:49:37 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26841 on: April 07, 2011, 01:48:40 am »

Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26842 on: April 07, 2011, 01:50:24 am »

Going to fail what?
French.
Look on the bright side. You're only failing one subject.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #26843 on: April 07, 2011, 03:31:04 am »

Uhg... walking animations...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26844 on: April 07, 2011, 04:18:38 am »

My sister has gone on anti-depressants that apparantly fuck up your brain after long term use...

Oh shit....

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26845 on: April 07, 2011, 04:33:16 am »

Presumably they haven't been prescribed long-term, then? Maybe they're just a temporary boost so she can get a few things done that depression would otherwise prevent?

In non depression related news, my computer is running like a rock, and I don't want to try doing anything more strenuous than foruming because it'll likely turn itself off in the middle of something important.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26846 on: April 07, 2011, 04:39:29 am »

In non depression related news, my computer is running like a rock, and I don't want to try doing anything more strenuous than foruming because it'll likely turn itself off in the middle of something important.
It sounds like you have a lot of viruses or something.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26847 on: April 07, 2011, 04:42:07 am »

It sounds like you have a lot of viruses or something.

Not everyone turns their rigs into a collection of viruses twice a week.

@Burnt Pies: Did you overclock or something?
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26848 on: April 07, 2011, 04:44:08 am »

It's 6 years old and was made of shitty parts when I got it. It has problems with overheating when doing anything more difficult than sitting at desktop, and even that's too difficult sometimes. When it overheats, it makes a very loud buzzing noise, drowning out most music, and giving me a headache. If it really feels overworked, it throws tantrums and either closes whatever I'm doing or just turns itself off.

On the other hand, I finally got a debit card with money on it, going to get a new PC soon.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26849 on: April 07, 2011, 04:45:10 am »

Anti-depressants aren't meant to be a long term solution anyway, as long as there's a detectable source of depression.

I don't take them, since they either don't work, how they are supposed to or just make it worse.
Pages: 1 ... 1788 1789 [1790] 1791 1792 ... 8167