Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1399 1400 [1401] 1402 1403 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9475086 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21000 on: January 27, 2011, 09:34:39 pm »

I for one am learning how to find the zeros in a polynomial function.  I don't know why we need to do that or how it matters but I'm happy that it's the first thing in this class I have a vague idea of how to do.
Shoes...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21001 on: January 27, 2011, 09:44:05 pm »

i need linear if i am doing graphical engine work in the future.

*shivers*

*reminds self not to go into programming*

Speaking of programming, anyone know of any requisite maths knowledge? Like lalgebra for graphical engine work?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21002 on: January 27, 2011, 09:46:43 pm »

Speaking of programming, anyone know of any requisite maths knowledge? Like lalgebra for graphical engine work?

Code-monkeying, or CS?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21003 on: January 27, 2011, 09:51:48 pm »

code monkeying. Game design, specifically. I'm just hoping that I don't have to learn something super high level and have to give it up.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21004 on: January 27, 2011, 10:00:00 pm »

Eh? What's that, dreams? You're being crushed under my mathematical ineptitude? NOOooooooooooooooooo...
i'll remember that when im blacklisting all awesome from games because of you, actually this sounds good for a resume, TO KOTICK!!!.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21005 on: January 27, 2011, 10:00:23 pm »

Hmm... you can probably get by without proofs or linear algebra, then, if you aren't one of the "Must... write... beautiful... code!!" people.  Maybe.

Frankly, CS is a subset of mathematics.  No matter what you do, it's going to basically be math, though parts of it will be more or less applied.  Proofs are part of anything past the core curriculum.

That said, proofs are very, very different from computation.  You may have a lot of trouble with the latter and very little with the former; frankly, I find proofs a lot easier, partially because I am not good at anything where they just tell you "well, do this, then this, then this, and I'm not explaining how it all works."

In my basic CS course, at the very least, there was no math, but there was a lot of mathematical thinking.  Puzzling things out, and so on.  At one point, we were told to program fractals in the drawing program.

All that said, you should get someone else's advice.  I see math everywhere and have been known to see novels in terms of geometry, and most of my experience of CS/code-monkeying is stories from my super-into-programming-in-its-purest-form ex.  Just try it out and see what happens, I think.  He's terrible at most math.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21006 on: January 27, 2011, 10:01:23 pm »

Eh? What's that, dreams? You're being crushed under my mathematical ineptitude? NOOooooooooooooooooo...
i'll remember that when im blacklisting all awesome from games because of you, actually this sounds good for a resume, TO KOTICK!!!.
Maybe I'm just exhausted from my day, but I didn't understand any of that, man.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21007 on: January 27, 2011, 10:08:03 pm »

I for one am learning how to find the zeros in a polynomial function.

Wait, you don't mean like parabolas and stuff, do you?  Because I was zeroing polynomial functions in junior high.  And high school.  It always felt to me like math class only had two or three subjects, repeated in a cycle from when they introduced algebra in the fifth grade.

code monkeying. Game design, specifically. I'm just hoping that I don't have to learn something super high level and have to give it up.

Well, that depends entirely on what you want to do, now doesn't it?  I made genuine games in Java a few years, they were just all text.  What did you have in mind?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21008 on: January 27, 2011, 10:10:25 pm »

I am not good at anything where they just tell you "well, do this, then this, then this, and I'm not explaining how it all works."

I'm the same way.  I'd much rather understand something then memorize it.  I started doing horrible in math when it got to geometry, because all they taught was rote memorization of formulas.  In algebra, I didn't pay attention in class or do the homework, and could figure out how to do the problems while taking the tests and ace them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21009 on: January 27, 2011, 10:10:56 pm »

I for one am learning how to find the zeros in a polynomial function.  I don't know why we need to do that or how it matters but I'm happy that it's the first thing in this class I have a vague idea of how to do.
just remember you can't divide by zero and you're good to go.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21010 on: January 27, 2011, 10:19:30 pm »

I for one am learning how to find the zeros in a polynomial function.

Wait, you don't mean like parabolas and stuff, do you?  Because I was zeroing polynomial functions in junior high.  And high school.  It always felt to me like math class only had two or three subjects, repeated in a cycle from when they introduced algebra in the fifth grade.

Well, that depends entirely on what you want to do, now doesn't it?  I made genuine games in Java a few years, they were just all text.  What did you have in mind?

I'm building an RPG engine. No, I don't think it'll turn out like Oblivion or DF or any other major publication. I do, however, want a lot of dynamically created stuff (a large sandbox world to play in, quests, shop inventories, dungeons/ruins/fun stuff (of the non hidden variety), monsters, NPCs with basic personality traits...the list goes on,) a decent (probably SNES era, unless I figure out 3d animation,) way to view the game, and fairly intuitive controls. If you want any more info on the game itself, the link to what I've made public is in my sig (although, granted, it's not much.)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21011 on: January 27, 2011, 10:34:04 pm »

Me and a few friends want to do the impossible.  We want to start up an indie video game company.  We don't have much to go on, but the way we figure it, if we work hard enough we'll get there.  We have our concept and we're aiming for October of this year, which is when the Indie Game Awards happen.  Except well, that probably won't happen.  Turns out there's only me and one friend who are actually going to work the game (what happened to our other people? beats me), and we need $800 to buy the Flash software to even get started.  And both of us are barely making ends meet.  So yeah.  Those hopes and dreams were nice while they lasted.  Maybe I'll become a manager at a bookstore at age 40 and write trashy romance novels as a hobby.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21012 on: January 27, 2011, 10:39:08 pm »

Yeah, we all want to start vidjagame companies to make the games of our dreams.  I'm doing it the smart way.  My first title will be pop trash that sells like hotcakes, and I'll develop it by getting some investment capital by sources I'm increasingly familiar with, and pay over people to follow my dreams for me.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21013 on: January 27, 2011, 10:41:33 pm »

Me and a few friends want to do the impossible.  We want to start up an indie video game company.  We don't have much to go on, but the way we figure it, if we work hard enough we'll get there.  We have our concept and we're aiming for October of this year, which is when the Indie Game Awards happen.  Except well, that probably won't happen.  Turns out there's only me and one friend who are actually going to work the game (what happened to our other people? beats me), and we need $800 to buy the Flash software to even get started.  And both of us are barely making ends meet.  So yeah.  Those hopes and dreams were nice while they lasted.  Maybe I'll become a manager at a bookstore at age 40 and write trashy romance novels as a hobby.
you could just use some open source engines out there, course you wouldn't be able to sell them but maybe you can get some donations rolling and start churning some stuff out.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21014 on: January 27, 2011, 10:42:47 pm »

Yeah, we all want to start vidjagame companies to make the games of our dreams.  I'm doing it the smart way.  My first title will be pop trash that sells like hotcakes, and I'll develop it by getting some investment capital by sources I'm increasingly familiar with, and pay over people to follow my dreams for me.
Is that you Gabe?  Nah, I like Gabe.
Pages: 1 ... 1399 1400 [1401] 1402 1403 ... 8167