Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1358 1359 [1360] 1361 1362 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451350 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #20385 on: January 19, 2011, 11:11:25 am »

Apparently math teachers at my school don't know math. One of them thinks that
Code: [Select]
a^n * b^n= a^n * a^m *facepalm*

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #20386 on: January 19, 2011, 12:57:28 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:59:26 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20387 on: January 19, 2011, 01:40:09 pm »

Fucks sake. Asshat of a bus driver felt the need to comment, very loudly, on my arms.
That's all I fucking need, a bus full of people staring at me T.T
Is there something wrong with your arms?
Or is it just the typical emo badge of pride?

Anyway- Things that something. I still don't really know my dad. He was always there, and my mother and father are still married, but he's a hard-ass, and he put his work before everything else. Really, the only social connection my brothers or I got with him was when he pulled us out to help him work. And, at first, I craved the connection, so I'd offer to help whenever I could. But eventually things started changing, and I started to resent the work more and more. I tried to keep a social lifestyle, but, we lived about ten miles from town, where my friends were- not exactly a walk. During this time, my eldest two brothers were all at boarding school, so the principal role-model I had at the time was my elder brother. And he was the type who liked to read, and played computer games.

In fact, that's what started me down this whole path. A lot of times, I wanted to go out and play, but he was busy reading. So, one day I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. So I picked up 'Jingo' by Terry Pratchett, and tried that. I didn't really like it, and ended up getting a few pages in before dropping it. Next, I read 'The Dragon Charmer'. And that book was just great. Words bigger than I was able to understand at the time, and a truly horrific writing style- but- I was determined to read it through, so I did. It had some good plot points, from what I remember of it. Anyway, the third novel I ever read was called... I dunno. Something like 'The Eye of Ra'. And basically I read up to the part with the tits, and I have been hooked ever since. So, naturally, having my older brother and I embracing a more sedentary form of lifestyle, my dad couldn't really figure it out. So he kept pulling me out to work on the farm- a job I'd have done more readily now, but I was, yet again, young and impetuous, so I hated him for it. And because of that, I wouldn't work as hard as I shouldn't. And because of that, Dad naturally yelled down my throat. Time, and time again. If I brought a novel into the ute while we were preparing to go, he'd toss it out the roadside as soon as he saw me pick it up. The drive down to our secondary farm was a half hour of cold silence anyway, so I usually wanted to read. When I couldn't read, I slept- something he started getting up me for as well. Soon, we reached an impasse', and he barely took me out to work with him anymore. Something which made our relationship even more distant.

But yeah, so none of us ever really got close to him. To be honest, I just resented him more and more as time passed. And right now, I don't treat him as a father so much as an acquaintance. Hell, I most likely had a better upbringing than a lot of people here, but that was something that in my perspective has always kinda gotten me down, so I figured I'd say a bit about the matter. And to be honest, my war of laziness against my dad hasn't really gotten me anywhere anyway. Now that I'm old enough to appreciate where he comes from, I can more-or less relate to what happened back then. But really it was just a farmer father unable to cope with a young nerd growing up, and likewise. Which is sad.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:42:08 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20388 on: January 19, 2011, 01:42:07 pm »

Apparently math teachers at my school don't know math. One of them thinks that
a^n * b^n= a^n * a^m *facepalm*

No doubt it's true for certain specific values of a, b, m, and n![/not actually a point in their favor]
Sure but this was meant to be a standard formula. This only works if a=b and n=m.

Most likely only a typo but still, children are going to learn that and then they will suck at math!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20389 on: January 19, 2011, 01:43:27 pm »

Vectors post made me sad.

Reading about her life makes me feel, like I wasted 21 years of mine...

Yeah, you and me both, buddy.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20390 on: January 19, 2011, 01:50:26 pm »

I guess that makes me sad I skim over them instead of taking 20 minutes out of my stupid life to read them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20391 on: January 19, 2011, 01:52:15 pm »

Most likely only a typo but still, children are going to learn that and then they will suck at math!
I dunno... is it just saying you can turn b^n into a^m?  Uh, if you already know what the values are...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20392 on: January 19, 2011, 01:58:24 pm »

it was meant to be
a^n * b^n = (ab)^n

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20393 on: January 19, 2011, 01:59:24 pm »

I come home from math class, not to math class.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20394 on: January 19, 2011, 02:03:15 pm »

So I picked up 'Jingo' by Terry Pratchett, and tried that. I didn't really like it, and ended up getting a few pages in before dropping it.

Well you started in the middle of a book series, the fourth book of it to be exact.
I'm re-reading it in english at the moment.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20395 on: January 19, 2011, 02:03:55 pm »

I come home from math class, not to math class.
Now you are, kid!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20396 on: January 19, 2011, 02:12:29 pm »

Yes, he felt the need to loudly point out the scars, hardly a "badge of pride", more a coping method.
On topic, can't stop thinking about my parents, four years after being rescued from them and they're still ruining my life...
*Hugs*

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20397 on: January 19, 2011, 02:24:52 pm »

sounds like you need some help to block them off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTjzZzfR7w

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20398 on: January 19, 2011, 02:27:40 pm »

Hell, MoM. We're all posting about our parents. Why not go ahead and reveal your deepest darkest childhood to all of us? Could get some weight off your shoulders.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20399 on: January 19, 2011, 02:28:52 pm »

there is stuff usually people keep down about their parents, i won't tell you the shit my parents went through with us kids in the house.
Pages: 1 ... 1358 1359 [1360] 1361 1362 ... 8167