Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1356 1357 [1358] 1359 1360 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449462 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #20355 on: January 18, 2011, 03:24:36 pm »

Game patch is taking 3 hours to download, due to my sister being on the internet downstairs. I'm not sure how she manages to reduce my download speed from 300-ish kb a second to 50, but it's happened.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20356 on: January 18, 2011, 03:26:41 pm »

I'm hungry and there's no food in the fridge! Only cheese and ham! Gah!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20357 on: January 18, 2011, 03:31:13 pm »

Just like Tim Burton's movies

*rimshot*
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20358 on: January 18, 2011, 03:35:18 pm »

Take ham, lay cheese on top of ham, roll whole thing up. Tada! Instant ham rolls!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20359 on: January 18, 2011, 03:36:17 pm »

Don't you love unfortunate implications. Urrg. This is a massive downer.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20360 on: January 18, 2011, 03:54:17 pm »

Take ham, lay cheese on top of ham, roll whole thing up. Tada! Instant ham rolls!

Or make a Stallone Cut.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20361 on: January 18, 2011, 03:57:11 pm »

Did I mention that I like neither? Damn family keeps eating the salami away first despite knowing fully well it was the only thing in there that I would eat on a sandwich.
Ah well, guess it's pasta time again.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20362 on: January 18, 2011, 03:59:55 pm »

You don't like ham or cheese?  Those are like the two most common food items ever man.  You don't even need anything else I could live eating just that without complaints.

Not sure if it would be too healthy eating such a narrow range though.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20363 on: January 18, 2011, 04:01:11 pm »

You don't even need anything else I could live eating just that without complaints.
Hey, if it was any type of cheese and any type of ham I'd probably be able to tolerate it from a taste perspective.  Not sure if my body would agree with that, though...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20364 on: January 18, 2011, 06:33:48 pm »

Yeah. Find bread and you've got toasties!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20365 on: January 18, 2011, 07:44:06 pm »

I wrote up a post defending that Chinese mother from a few pages back, and then decided screw it. I will not be ragebait, but you should all know that she later explained that her book, and more specifically that excerpt of her book, and even more specifically the list was written with tongue-in-cheek humor and in her book, she does not defend or glorify her actions, she explains the mentality she had, what she did wrong, and just generally looks back.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20366 on: January 18, 2011, 07:47:28 pm »

Meh. Parents can be psychotic at times, comparitively that was nothing.
*Hugs*

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20367 on: January 18, 2011, 07:53:15 pm »

Huh.  Nice to have that context, thanks Vertigon.

...I'm burning out hard, full-on blaze of glory style.  My depression and other issues are really catching up to me, and a lack of ability to take vacation or sick days means that I'm going to plow straight into the ground.  Right now it's just a matter of how much I can save up before I wind up as a drooling wreck or hospitalized for a couple months, but that's basically life as usual for me right now.

I'm not supposed to miss work.  My temp agency gets upset when I do.  And of course, no vacation/sick days means I don't get paid.  So if I try to take a mental health day--or a physical health day for that matter--I'm basically paying a full day's paycheck for the privilege of staring at the ceiling.  I can't justify it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20368 on: January 18, 2011, 08:33:36 pm »

I wrote up a post defending that Chinese mother from a few pages back, and then decided screw it. I will not be ragebait, but you should all know that she later explained that her book, and more specifically that excerpt of her book, and even more specifically the list was written with tongue-in-cheek humor and in her book, she does not defend or glorify her actions, she explains the mentality she had, what she did wrong, and just generally looks back.

Yeah, I managed to find some other links where she defended herself.  I wasn't sure what I thought about them.

I understand her perspective.  I understand that such behavior might be helpful and/or loving in another situation.  I did have a mother who, when I got an A-, would say "but what happened?"  My mother didn't let me do anything that wasn't actively learning (except for half an hour of computer time a day, to do whatever I wanted with); I had Chinese acquaintances in high school who were shocked to hear that she was harder on me than their parents were.  I learned algebra before 5, read chapter books at 3, played violin in a professional-level symphony (after spending a summer practicing 8 hours a day, and studying violin with a teacher for only 2 years), have studied some 7 languages, blah blah blah.  I also play piano.  I headed a popular club in high school.  I did hundreds of hours of community service and held down a tutoring job.  I received more awards at graduation than any other student, and even now professors act as though I were something especially unusual.

Yes.  Even at Berkeley, a school filled with children who have "Chinese mothers."  My mother somehow managed to out-Chinese-mother them all, while allowing me to get the occasional B and never hitting me or, in fact, punishing me.

Like those girls, I never dated in high school.  I didn't watch anything on TV that wasn't Japanese or French and unsubtitled.  I was never in a school play and I made my first real friend at the age of 17--and to be honest, I was okay with all of that.  I was all right with the pressure.  My mother never told me to lose weight because I was never fat--I was so thin that other mothers would invite me over to their houses because they thought I was starving to death.  She had to try to convince me to go to bed on nights when I was powering through 5 essays and a French novel, because I refused to sleep.  I went through the practice tests myself.  I studied alone for my APs and SATs, because my parents didn't have the necessary education to help.  I spent 20-hour days studying mathematics--as a sophomore in high school, who just couldn't get it.

As far as spending time with other children went, I did that once every few months.  Mostly, we sat on the living room floor and studied together, or argued about analytical interpretations of various novels.  That was the kind of life I had.

My mother did say things like "Either you can do better than that, or you're retarded" to me.  She did force me to put my face in a bowl of water on the kitchen floor, because I was terrified of drowning after a dangerous experience.  She did tell me that no one cared about me or wanted me to succeed, and that I couldn't trust anyone completely.  She also told me that it was better to fail academically than to fail morally.

I personally feel that my parents raised me well, much as I hated them for a while.

That said, as difficult as the above may sound to anyone, my parents were not as hard on me as Amy Chua was.  There's a line, and I feel that no matter what she said later, no matter what context I'm missing for her behavior, she was way over that line.  Her article disturbs me because I lived something like it, and I have to keep on trying to live that way no matter how tired I am.  I suffered the consequences of spending so much time alone for so long, and it was up to me to fix it.  I didn't blame my parents, of course.  I blamed myself.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I'm grateful to my parents.

But somehow, they managed to get a similar result--often, a better result--and they didn't go to those ends to get it.  They didn't have to behave that way to let me know they were serious.  Perhaps I was just especially sensitive.  Perhaps I was more obedient than most, or more self-driven.  I don't know, really.  But the reason why the article makes me angry is that the measures being lauded are so very unnecessary.  There's a middle ground between "tiger mothers" and treating children with kid gloves.  You don't have to demean a child to tell him that he's doing something wrong.  You don't have to fuss around, worrying about the child's "self esteem" overmuch.

My mother, much like Amy Chau, often told me that we worry too much about self-esteem here when the child in question hasn't done anything worthwhile.  She said that we were too afraid of our children feeling bad to be honest with them.

And yes, I agree.  But no matter how much I may think Ms. Chau's ideals were in the right place, her methodology is suspect.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20369 on: January 18, 2011, 08:46:10 pm »

My parents strategy is pretty much "we have two boys that are good in school and don't cause problems, that means there really isn't anything to change" and I guess in a way it works.  The only problem being I'm pretty distant with my folks, even my Dad.  Although I have to say, I love my parents and I would never do anything to hurt them.
Pages: 1 ... 1356 1357 [1358] 1359 1360 ... 8167