Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9459398 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #13080 on: September 23, 2010, 12:26:14 pm »

I like how everybody(including yours truly) moaned about there not being a "book club thread" on the boards, yet instead of just going and starting it himself, waited for Vector to do something about it.

When I write "I like", I mean "it fits in the sad thread".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13081 on: September 23, 2010, 12:30:23 pm »

The Mists of Avalon has a good female character in Morgan le Fay, though some other ones are pretty good too. It has unfortunate amounts of 'necking', though.

Just picked up a copy =)  Necking doesn't bother me as much as long as it's not this "I am a great woman and here is a great man come to declare his love for me!!!  And so everything was great!!!!!!" sort of situation.  Basically, I'm sick of chick-flick style setups with the Designated Male and the Designated Female, and the soft Hollywood glow of idealism cast over everything.
If this is the book I'm thinking of one of the main female characters(I think it goes through three or four) is Guinevere and Lancelot going about things about as well as you would expect these two characters. The others just sort of do what they do for politics.
 It's been a while though. I can't remember enough about it to say if you'll like it, but it probably won't fit the negative example you presented.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: September 23, 2010, 12:36:42 pm »

I like how everybody(including yours truly) moaned about there not being a "book club thread" on the boards, yet instead of just going and starting it himself, waited for Vector to do something about it.

Well, I was the one who suggested it, so I'm guessing people wanted to give me a chance at starting the thing.

If this is the book I'm thinking of one of the main female characters(I think it goes through three or four) is Guinevere and Lancelot going about things about as well as you would expect these two characters. The others just sort of do what they do for politics.
 It's been a while though. I can't remember enough about it to say if you'll like it, but it probably won't fit the negative example you presented.

Nah, I am totally down with Guinevere and Lancelot, as long as they keep the "madman of the forest" section.  I always loved that bit as a kid.  That is seriously not a relationship covered in happy glow in any telling.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13083 on: September 23, 2010, 12:52:48 pm »

I would also highly reccomend Ursula K. LeGuin... I hear Tales from Earthsea is a good series to read, and it was even adapted into a Studio Ghibli anime. The Left Hand of Darkness is another good one, which deals with the idea of gender roles, by portraying a completely androgynous society.

Madaline L'Engle's "A Wrinkle In Time" is also a great one, though perhaps geared more toward younger readers. It deals with dimensional travel (in as scientific a sense as that is possible), and details a Sci Fi take on the Judeo-Christian mythos... it's a very surreal coming-of-age story.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13084 on: September 23, 2010, 02:18:44 pm »

Ooh, I loved Wrinkle in Time and all Engle's other stuff.

Didn't like Earthsea when I tried it, though.  Maybe I should go back and reread.  I also need to go check out The Handmaid's Tale, to be sure.

... Does anyone remember if the necromancer series by Garth Nix is any good?  I remember not liking the first book, but I think that was for purely superficial reasons.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13085 on: September 23, 2010, 02:56:53 pm »

Earthsea is great. Of all the dozens and dozens of fantasy series I've read, Earthsea stands out of one of the most unique and compellingly written. No BS heroes, no BS magic, real consequences and a sense of the infinite that most authors only dream about achieving. It's almost as much a story about the man behind the Wizard as it is a story about the world and its ills. And the entire setup behind the Tombs of Atuan is just fantastic.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:58:35 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: September 23, 2010, 03:03:26 pm »

Okay, definitely checking that out of the library.  Thanks bundles :D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13087 on: September 23, 2010, 03:09:10 pm »

Earthsea is quite interesting, yeah.  It's sortof... well, it doesn't dissappear into its own fantasy world and stay there.  It feels sortof grounded, in a way.

Currently on a series that's confirmed to not have a happy ending.  In spite of not being finished yet.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: September 23, 2010, 03:10:17 pm »

Which series?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: September 23, 2010, 03:14:37 pm »

I don't know, I never liked Earthsea that much. It's been ages since I read that, so maybe I'll give it another go.
Anyway, as of today, I preffer her "Hainish" novels and short stories. "The Dispossesed" and especially "The Left Hand of Darkness" are my favourites.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: September 23, 2010, 03:44:35 pm »

I recently read Megafowl: The Sword is Mightier than the Hen.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13091 on: September 23, 2010, 03:45:50 pm »

That's it, we need a literature thread.  I'll make one once I'm done with my homework.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13092 on: September 23, 2010, 03:51:46 pm »

... Does anyone remember if the necromancer series by Garth Nix is any good?  I remember not liking the first book, but I think that was for purely superficial reasons.

I liked it, but that says almost nothing on the quality of a book.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13093 on: September 23, 2010, 04:18:59 pm »

Which series?
Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Reading does require a fair amount of masochism.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: September 23, 2010, 04:21:45 pm »

My painkillers are making me very nauseous, and if I don't take them, I am in a bunch of pain.

I hate my current situation.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 8167