Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 830 831 [832] 833 834 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449389 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #12465 on: September 14, 2010, 07:26:00 pm »

We need to become The Culture.

It would be awesome.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12466 on: September 14, 2010, 07:26:32 pm »

"I'm going for a trade in Electronics right now, there are always others."

HOW DOES THIS IMPLY THAT MOST PEOPLE HERE ARE NOT INTELLECLUTS?

DOESNT DOESNT DOESNT AKLNF

PUT A 50,000 AMPS THROUGH A 0 OHM WIRE, THATS ME

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12467 on: September 14, 2010, 07:27:01 pm »

Now, if everybody could just float around in a sort of vat, and help feed the robots, we wouldn't have to do anything! We'd even get our own reality sim.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12468 on: September 14, 2010, 07:27:53 pm »

The world does not need any more intelectuals or laborers. What the world needs more of is friendship.

Rainbows and sparkles abound! Dwarves and Mermen frolic in the surf together, cats and dogs roam in cheerful packs through pastel-colored fields of flowers, and Unicorns return from space with the Secret of Eternal Life!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12469 on: September 14, 2010, 07:28:50 pm »

What the world needs is DF 9.0.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12470 on: September 14, 2010, 07:28:58 pm »

Now, if everybody could just float around in a sort of vat, and help feed the robots, we wouldn't have to do anything! We'd even get our own reality sim.
We need this
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #12471 on: September 14, 2010, 07:30:24 pm »

Screw the robots. We dont need them. Instead of robots we could have intelectuals do all the labor using their minds and the laborers solving all of lifes mysterys with their hands.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12472 on: September 14, 2010, 07:31:22 pm »

Hello? I'm a fucking farmer, for Fuck's Sake.

Do I mind being surrounded by intellectuals on this board? Not really, We've always (Always) thought we were 'better' than the other forums because we're more intelligent. Or at least more sensible.
Though, I will say, the mood of this place has changed so freaking much. And it could well be the changes in us, too. I know I've gotten a hell of a lot more reserved. Janet no longer posts about AG3. WorkerDrone is MIA, and Jackrabbit doesn't do community fortresses anymore.
I mean, Toonyman's reverted a little, but even he's different.

And then we throw in DwarfMcDwarf.

So yeah, I couldn't really expect anything more from this forum right now.

But yeah, Anyone can go back to the first pages of the HAPPY thread, and notice how far this Forum has progressed into what we are now. It's like, the running happy timelog of General Discussion.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:33:38 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12473 on: September 14, 2010, 07:32:33 pm »

:(
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12474 on: September 14, 2010, 07:33:19 pm »

Y'know, I have to say I've been feeling a lot like Janet lately.  Not so much the trade-labor-stuff, but the... isolation, I guess?

I'll straight up admit that some of it is just plain jealousy, with the math discussions.  Not jealousy of the knowledge itself, but of seeing this really strong of clique of people having fun forming, that I can't be part of and never will be.  It's selfish, but I'm only human.  Obviously I'm not going to ask anybody to stop, but that same sense is creeping up in other areas.  The varying obsessions with martial-arts, or wilderness survival, or other subjects that I don't just not have an opinion about, but I start to resent because of the attitude of superiority to people who aren't in the loop.  An attitude that is completely illusory - it's not really there, it just seems like it looking in from the outside.

Then there's the memes and shit.  I rarely even click on the Forum Games section anymore, because I can't stand the Adventure threads, I've never been an RP guy, and I don't want want to play 3.5ed D&D.  The endless flurry of worn-out Dwarf Fortress "jokes" and references don't bother me so much any more, except for the occasional "that's so dwarfy" stuff.  I suppose in a way it's just because Dwarf Fortress doesn't make it's way down here much anymore, and I don't make it upwards much anymore.

Which brings me to Dwarf Fortress.  A little revelation - back in March, Toady One put together a crew of people to play his development copies of the Big Release, to find and identify bugs and check out his work, to save him at least that bit of time and give him some outsiders' perspectives before he released it.  Mostly either people he knew for a long time (i.e. pre-DF), or really technical people like Baughn, or Footkerchief who's basically DF's professional archiver.  And me, I guess because of that donatathon thread I started.

Long story short - if you think the latest Dwarf Fortress, especially the military system is screwy now... Well, you can just imagine.  Believe me, Toady was open to criticism.  But as you can see, what you have is the result.  Now, I'm not going to criticize his work as it is, having seen the development-version.  But I can't be ignored that it just can't really be played as is, with all the added complications and systems that have never been properly streamlined.  And having bashed my head against the wall that was the dev-version, I haven't been able to bring myself to play the released versions since April.

All that together is a big part of why I never post anywhere anymore except Happy, Sad, the occasional Games thread, and now MSPA all the time.  By rights I belong over there, but that depresses the shit out of me.  My only big discussion-muscle is politics, and I'm as sick of that as anybody, and it never even comes up anymore.  I still hang around because I like you guys, but I increasingly find myself with less and less to say about anything.

Warning - while you were typing 16 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12475 on: September 14, 2010, 07:34:29 pm »

For the community to stay strong, people will have to fade in and fade out. The forum itself doesn't change too much, but the people using them change a little every day.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12476 on: September 14, 2010, 07:37:04 pm »

I'm sad for not knowing what to think about any of this, having only registered in March. I keep getting this paranoid feeling whenever someone brings up how they've felt the forum has changed that there's some sort of degregation of it new users are adding to in some way.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12477 on: September 14, 2010, 07:37:39 pm »

YEP, CHANGE ALL THE TIME
TURNS GIMMICKS INTO PEOPLE
PEOPLE INTO GIMMCKS

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12478 on: September 14, 2010, 07:38:44 pm »

Part of the problem may be that people sometimes refer to this as an "intelligent board" or whatever.  I don't think that's intended to mean "Everyone's an intellectual and great at maths", it's more like... people are better at keeping it together?  The atmosphere is generally quite friendly?  It could be easier to illustrate if you visit, say, the Minecraft forums and see all the unfriendly meme/ image macro/ postcount upping crap that piles up on every thread.  It generally doesn't happen here.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12479 on: September 14, 2010, 07:40:18 pm »

I have to admit, I feel like MSH.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: 1 ... 830 831 [832] 833 834 ... 8167