Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446237 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #12450 on: September 14, 2010, 06:36:17 pm »

The problem though is that it seems like a good number of the intellectuals here (example: Armok) aren't actually doing anything with their purported thinking.
Shoes...

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12451 on: September 14, 2010, 06:36:38 pm »

I don't think you bother her as much as the idea of being surrounded by people like that when you're searching for something else is. I don't mean that in an insulting way at all.

I'm also thinking of expanding my internet groups, though I won't be leaving this one.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12452 on: September 14, 2010, 06:40:11 pm »

I don't think you bother her as much as the idea of being surrounded by people like that when you're searching for something else is. I don't mean that in an insulting way at all.

No, I understand... it's just that this entire argument seems to have somehow started around me, especially because I know I'm to blame for most of the mathematical discussions of late =/  As such, I wanted to apologize for the atmosphere I'm unintentionally bringing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12453 on: September 14, 2010, 06:40:38 pm »

Anyway I dunno. I probably am coming off more bitter about this than I really am because I really just don't like thinking about this kind of thing. It's not something that like... Actively bothers me day to day rather than a personal opinion.

And I didn't know Vector was gonna teach. I missed that or something. I respect teachers more than anyone, well at least the good ones. If any ONE field needs more love, respect, and APPLICANTS it's teachers! Because deep down it's education that makes the world go round. For all fields of work.

In that case I feel sorry if I brought you down Vector. I didn't know that at all and I thought you were gonna somehow make being a mathematician into a day job or however that works...

... How does that work? Can someone explain it to me? Because I have no idea how someone makes a living out of that and that only.

Edit: And the atmosphere was already here. People were laughing at XCD or whatever the fuck it is before you were here Vector. As long as I'm here I'm going to feel like an Idiot surrounded by people who are gonna be the kind to order me around should I get a job.

Edit again: In a way I guess it comes down to that I'm kinda good for nothing BUT labor. I can't do math (Yes I honestly can't retain it. I'm innumerate.) and that blocks a lot from me. The only benefit to being me while trying to work is I can lift a lot of weight and I don't tire easy. I'm pretty much a big dumb ox in a womans body.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 06:46:59 pm by Janet »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12454 on: September 14, 2010, 06:42:53 pm »

Spoiler: My work here is done! (click to show/hide)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12455 on: September 14, 2010, 06:44:18 pm »

The problem though is that it seems like a good number of the intellectuals here (example: Armok) aren't actually doing anything with their purported thinking.
I'm working on it!
...Not that my work will be all that productive, but hey, I'll be making less than most in the insanely overpaid entertainment industry.

... How does that work? Can someone explain it to me? Because I have no idea how someone makes a living out of that and that only.
I believe it involves being rich enough to be able to not work in the first place. That's how all the really famous ones in the past did it anyway. Now it's probably government grants.

Also: Teachers should really be paid more. They are essential, but hardly make anything. This does have one advantage though: Only those who love teaching do it for long.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12456 on: September 14, 2010, 07:11:04 pm »

6:25 PM - Janet♫♥: I still don't think I belong in a community that makes one of it's members feel inferor for going to school to learn a trade rather than something more complex.
Didn't have a chance to respond to this because of bullshit.

I'm going for a trade in Electronics right now, there are always others.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12457 on: September 14, 2010, 07:14:56 pm »

6:25 PM - Janet♫♥: I still don't think I belong in a community that makes one of it's members feel inferor for going to school to learn a trade rather than something more complex.

Who said that? I bet there's as many underage and unemployed on here than there are professionals. College notwithstanding.
While talking to AJ:

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12458 on: September 14, 2010, 07:20:37 pm »

You mean like... a pure mathematician, right?  Someone who studies maths for its own sake?

You can sometimes get grants, I guess.  Or just get rich from having done something else before hand/ out of a large inheritance.

Why would you do it?  Well... mathematics has a sortof permanance.  Something you prove today will still be proved tomorrow, and will still be proved in 1000 years time.  Even if it has no application now, it could have an application at some point in the future (GH Hardy boosted that his discoveries were useless to everyone, but they ended up getting applied in scientific areas and encryption).

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12459 on: September 14, 2010, 07:21:24 pm »

Who said that? I bet there's as many underage and unemployed on here than there are professionals. College notwithstanding.
What the fuck are you talking about, I have no idea what you're saying.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #12460 on: September 14, 2010, 07:22:37 pm »

The world does not need any more intelectuals or laborers. What the world needs more of is friendship.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12461 on: September 14, 2010, 07:23:48 pm »

And so Cow Of Doom became a professional hugger.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12462 on: September 14, 2010, 07:24:50 pm »

What the fuck are you talking about, I have no idea what you're saying.
Sorry, I meant what gave off that vibe? It seems to me like there's a few hyper-intellectuals and mostly mid-upper area gamers.
While talking to AJ:

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12463 on: September 14, 2010, 07:25:15 pm »

The world needs to replace all laborers with robots. Then the intellectuals can have fun researching stuff and everyone who doesn't want to can relax and do whatever the heck they want.

...Yes, my dreams of the future are never gonna happen. Mainly because you can't have an economy when there's no need for anyone to work.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12464 on: September 14, 2010, 07:25:38 pm »

The world needs more robo...curse you, dragnar!

Edit: Also, above post would be my own personal heaven, including the lack of economy.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:29:08 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 8167