Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9498752 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #4590 on: April 19, 2010, 12:58:46 am »

A virus from a school computer wiped out my USB drive, along with my report due on Monday. It's four pages analyzing A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings. It's go time.
Ouchies.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: April 19, 2010, 01:02:38 am »

My tire was flat when I found it this morning. $100.00 and 2 hours later, I've got it replaced... though a good thing that needed doing anyway, it was pretty lame.

I hope you're making a clean break of it this time.  Every time you come back is only going to encourage the behavior that drove you away.

Time for new social networks?

Quoted for emphasis. That's some shit, and you really shouldn't have to deal with it from anyone considering themselves your friend. Granted, there is always the possibility of equivalent amounts of poor emotional judgment on his end, leading him to be ignorant to his jackassery, but that's not okay.

I could post a bunch of conjecture about him and the situation, but it's really not going to do you much good. I hope that you can make that emotional break, and find other people to spend time with, because I don't think his presence is helping you right now. Perhaps later, if he pauses to consider your well-being, as a human being whom he allegedly has concern for... or generally gives a damn. Otherwise, I don't think you need that right now.

As usual, take it with a grain of salt, since it's coming from an unfamiliar perspective. Nevertheless, I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: April 19, 2010, 01:28:44 am »

Pretty much everything. Not just lack of ability in either bowling or Counter Strike...
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: April 19, 2010, 01:40:06 am »

A virus from a school computer wiped out my USB drive, along with my report due on Monday. It's four pages analyzing A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings. It's go time.

Rather out of place in the "Sad" thread, but I loved that story.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: April 19, 2010, 02:39:45 am »

You can totally do it man.  Go beyond the very possible!  Believe in us, who believe in you!

I remember when a floppy disk I had got infected by a virus or something from a school computer, back when we still used floppies.  When I finally isolated that disk as the culprit, I took it outside and hacked it apart with an axe.  It probably had nothing to do with the virus itself, but it sure felt good at the time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: April 19, 2010, 02:45:46 am »

The early days of hacking. Crude, but effective.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: April 19, 2010, 02:46:35 am »

D:

Yeah, I know.  This shitstorm is getting pretty old, huh?

In any case, he can fuck off and take his parents and sycophants with him.  I don't care how awesome the people at his job think he is, I don't care how many times he wants to say I'm a weakling who deserves what I got.  I don't care if he's sitting around going "I am the most awesome dude evar and she is a crazy psychobitch."  I'm not taking any more of this.

I hope you're making a clean break of it this time.  Every time you come back is only going to encourage the behavior that drove you away.

Yup.  This is it.  I'm changing my IM and email address, ditching Facebook so that I won't see Aspen on there and think about Rosewood, and going to do whatever I can to keep away from the bastard.  I'm giving his family's books back and putting the crap he gave me (other than the mechanical pencil, which I'm deeming too damned useful to shelve) in the back of my closet, until I'm ready to deal with it.

This is it.  When he treats me like this, it's over.

The nice part is that I didn't have a social network or support system.  That was why it was so hard to get rid of him.  The idea of having a friend is alluring.  His parents are nice to me and ask me over for dinner, and they said I could talk to any of them whenever I want if I need help.  He was always encouraging of my mathematical career and helped shore me up in that area, and he kept me believing I might be able to make friends someday.

No one has ever been that nice to me before.  Never.

But I'm going to walk away from him and everything he represents, because this is not the right time to be friends with him.  Just as my friend Thyme needed time to grow up, so does he--and when he's ready and I have some better tools to deal with the particular problem he represents, I'll check and see if I want to be friends with him again.  It's a hard decision, but I've made it before.

She used to beat me up, hit me with a ladle, swear at me, and tell me I was ruining her life (on top of copying everything I did, hitting on me in a rather stalkerish way for 7-odd years, and trying to steal Rosewood when we first started dating).  Now she's a close friend who is doing everything she can to help me out and has pretty much lost all of her past unbearably negative qualities.

I seem to be having similar experiences with a couple of other folks I put on the back burner for later, so I won't be completely alone.  I just don't have anyone within physical distance right now--but they'll be here.

I've got an ace in my back pocket, and it's time to put all cards down.  I may keep making the occasional unhappy comment about him here, but they won't be from recent experience.  It is time to Get That Party Started.

edit - I wrote this post before vector's last post. no, i'm not trying to make light of her situation. I have been thinking of her situation these past couple weeks and been hopeing things turn around for her. :(

Dude, I will not eat you.  If you try to convince me that the situation is better than it actually is (in the "what?!  Having friends doesn't matter!  What's wrong with you?" style) I will eat you, but not otherwise.  Do not worry.  I am eternally grateful for everything people say to me here, even the dumb puns, one-liners, and occasional weird remarks.  You guys are the best b '-' d

Quoted for emphasis. That's some shit, and you really shouldn't have to deal with it from anyone considering themselves your friend. Granted, there is always the possibility of equivalent amounts of poor emotional judgment on his end, leading him to be ignorant to his jackassery, but that's not okay.

I could post a bunch of conjecture about him and the situation, but it's really not going to do you much good. I hope that you can make that emotional break, and find other people to spend time with, because I don't think his presence is helping you right now. Perhaps later, if he pauses to consider your well-being, as a human being whom he allegedly has concern for... or generally gives a damn. Otherwise, I don't think you need that right now.

As usual, take it with a grain of salt, since it's coming from an unfamiliar perspective. Nevertheless, I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

No, thank you for the sage advice.  I'm taking it this time.  I've gotten good and pissed, and I'm completely prepared to call it a day.  Were I younger, I'd kick his shins in and then walk away--but right about now, I'm just going to rant about him on the internet and change my contact info up :I

I cannot shake the feeling that he's going to be an extremely important person to me later in life, but I've felt this multiple times before when I needed to back off from the person in question and wait until the time was ripe.  I have a strange sort of knack for guessing what sort of person somebody will become, in time, so I end up in all kinds of arguments with myself.  I "know" that someone will be exactly what I need later, even though he's being horrible to me at the time--so I end up going "ditch him now?!  But how could I, when he's going to be a fast friend on my Quest To Save The World?"

But yeah.  This guy wants a hard, fast ditching, so I'm going to do that, clean up all the other tattered fragments of my life, and move on.  We may end up falling in love again (and for some reason, I have an oddly certain feeling that it will be so--even though I do actually hate the man and all the crap he's done to me), but for now he can eat my dust.  I think it's high time I took some time away from him.  Like... a year and a handful of months.  My projections say that he'll be good dating material after another relationship or two and 5-7 years of maturing.  We'll see if I'm still interested then.

What will be, will be.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: April 19, 2010, 02:49:18 am »

DUMP THAT SUNUVABISH
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 03:00:15 am by Acanthus117 »
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: April 19, 2010, 02:51:02 am »

Yeah, life's too short and fun to waste it dealing with people you hate.  You have the incredible luxury of cleanly breaking from the guy so it's impossible for him to bother you, or even make you think about him by existing.  Go for it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: April 19, 2010, 02:53:14 am »

Does everyone you know have a crazy name?
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: April 19, 2010, 02:59:25 am »

Rather out of place in the "Sad" thread, but I loved that story.
I do too. But problems arise when you need to spend five paragraphs of fluff explaining the significance behind the Spider Lady and what she represents as opposed to the Winged Man. It gets a little tiring.

And yeah, Vector, power to ya.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: April 19, 2010, 03:07:19 am »

Does everyone you know have a crazy name?

I'm a pathological nicknamer.  Some of the weirder ones are Topology Man, Super-Giraffe, and Koke-Yarou (Moss-Bastard, literally).  Then there's Professor Beard and Mr. Vyektor...

Yeah.  Rosewood got his online-nickname because he reminds me of the wood itself, though I could have just as easily ended up calling him Pumpkin, Pogo, Autumn, Fugue, or Lavender (or, hell, any other of a host of nouns).  Rosewood just seemed like the right thing at the time.

I see patterns in everything.  Sometimes the results are useful (mathematical ability) and sometimes they're just weird... like in this instance.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: April 19, 2010, 03:33:08 am »

I see patterns in everything.

There are patterns in everything.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: April 19, 2010, 03:34:42 am »

I see patterns in everything.

There are patterns in everything.

I see fantastically useless patterns in many things >_>

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: April 19, 2010, 03:40:23 am »

Most of them don't have a point, no.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 8168