Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9475167 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #4170 on: April 09, 2010, 10:13:09 pm »

Do what I would do, and find the diamonds, or at least manufacture some out of the coal/ashes of your mind/past. It may be a lame thing psychologists would tell you to do for a couple hundred, but it is effective if you put your mind to it. Take what you could've been, and bring it to who you are. Jump-start a -life crisis and make the adjustment, do it a few more times and rewrite yourself. You are the author of your story. Tell it your way.
Yeah, I've been trying to force that for about three years now.  It hasn't happened yet, and I'm feeling the days slip away all the faster.  I keep thinking, any day now, I'll sit down and do all that stuff I want to do.  Funny how doing nothing for three years can take up so much time.
Meh, sometimes when it seems like you're doing nothing, you're actually doing more than it appears. Time will slow down soon enough. Just consider life having no time limit, and there shouldn't be much to worry about. It's all relative. Don't panic and don't worry, and things should zero-out again. By that time, you'll figure out something to do without realizing it.

It's kinda how I found a way out of my annoying-ass job, and made up a plan on the spot in a fraction of the time it would normally take. In a way, the time just seemed right once I noticed. You'll know what I'm talking about when the time comes. So to put it, right now may not be the right time to get things in order yet. It's like unclogging a drain, you can force it, and you can FORCE it. So to put it, don't put too much effort into something, minimize the effort required, but still apply some. Think of life also like a finger trap or a Rubik's Cube. You just have to take your time, and let things flow.

Only when there's a waterfall with possibly jagged rocks at the bottom should you start fighting the current and take the other direction the river provides, or at least drop an anchor and find an out.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: April 09, 2010, 10:19:02 pm »

Thing that made me sad today:
If you're a hipster maybe.

God Tier:  Frisch's Vanilla Coke
Awesome Tier:  Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper, other bitter/dark soft drinks
Okay Tier:  Diet versions of above
Low Tier:  Mt. Dew, Mello Yello, Green/yellow citrus drinks
Bottom Tier:  Sprite, 7-up, Sierra Mist, clear lemon/lime drinks

I just never saw the point of cola...
It tastes nasty, it is toxic and unhealthy, it is too popular to be worthy of respect but too feeble to be required to 'fit in'. I just don't get cola...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: April 09, 2010, 11:36:08 pm »

It's addictive and it's a taste which, once you grow into, is absolutely amazing.
The cold burn as you chug a frosty coke... hurts. But is delicious hurt.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: April 09, 2010, 11:59:04 pm »

Perhaps relevant: http://www.eyeweekly.com/article/55882

IMAGINE A DAY in the life of a couple you probably know. He's 27 years old, and she's 26. They wake up beside each other in his downtown bachelor apartment and have sex that neither of them particularly enjoys. They've been sort-of dating for a while now, but they're not willing to commit to each other: he likes her, but doesn't know if he always will. She can't decide if she likes him more or less than the other two guys she's sleeping with.

He bikes to work at an advertising agency, where he uses his master's in English to proofread ad copy, and spends several hours reading music blogs and watching movie trailers, periodically Twittering updates about his workday to his 74 followers. He doesn't really hate his job, but feels as if his skin is crawling with vermin most of the time that he's there, so he has a plan to move to Thailand, or to maybe write a book. Or go to law school.

At her government job, she instant messages her friends and mostly ignores the report she's drafting because she's planning on quitting anyway — and has been planning to quit for about a year now. She spends her lunch hour buying boots that cost slightly more than her rent, then immediately regrets it.

He listlessly works through lunch, then goes to the bar after work to meet up with some university friends, where they talk about their jobs and make ironic jokes about other people. Back at home, he wonders why he feels so gross and empty after spending time with them, but it's mostly better than being alone.

She walks to the house that she shares with three friends and spends a few more hours on celebrity gossip websites, then clicking through the Facebook photos of girls she knew in high school posing with their husbands and babies, simultaneously judging them and feeling a deep pit of jealousy, and a strange kind of loss. "When did this happen for them?" she wonders.

They both eventually fall asleep, late and alone, each of them wondering what it is that's wrong with them that they can't quite seem to understand.

This phenomenon, known as the "Quarterlife Crisis," is as ubiquitous as it is intangible. Unrelenting indecision, isolation, confusion and anxiety about working, relationships and direction is reported by people in their mid-twenties to early thirties who are usually urban, middle class and well-educated; those who should be able to capitalize on their youth, unparalleled freedom and free-for-all individuation. They can't make any decisions, because they don't know what they want, and they don't know what they want because they don't know who they are, and they don't know who they are because they're allowed to be anyone they want.

<Article Continues At Link>

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: April 10, 2010, 12:09:29 am »

Yeah, I think that was linked to earlier in this thread, or in another thread.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: April 10, 2010, 12:10:11 am »

It's addictive and it's a taste which, once you grow into, is absolutely amazing.

First Coke of the day is a wonderful thing.

Also, eat a Reese's Cup, and before the taste fades, drink some Coke.  You will burn off your tastebuds with a clothes iron because you know you'll never taste anything that good again.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: April 10, 2010, 12:10:20 am »

NGAHHHHHHH

Okay.  Decision.  That is not going to be my life.  Period.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: April 10, 2010, 12:14:08 am »

Amazing how easy it is to just stand up and say that isn't it?  Good luck making it happen.  Inspire us Vector.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: April 10, 2010, 12:15:49 am »

She is Vector, ye of little faith.

SHE CAN DO ANYTHING.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: April 10, 2010, 12:41:51 am »

Yeah, I honestly don't think I could actually get in that situation. I don't have the capacity for it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: April 10, 2010, 01:19:49 am »

Amazing how easy it is to just stand up and say that isn't it?  Good luck making it happen.  Inspire us Vector.

She is Vector, ye of little faith.

SHE CAN DO ANYTHING.

Just watch me.  I'll be updating periodically in the happiness thread.

After Tales of Symphonia, which I've wanted to play since I was 11 or so, I'm finishing off my 1,000 cranes and getting back to work on mathematics.  There will be pictures (of the cranes, not the mathematics).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: April 10, 2010, 01:44:04 am »

First Coke of the day is a wonderful thing.

Also, eat a Reese's Cup, and before the taste fades, drink some Coke.  You will burn off your tastebuds with a clothes iron because you know you'll never taste anything that good again.

i have four main uses of soda/cola:

1) when eating food with a tomato based sauce, I drink cola (either pepsi or coke, pepsi preffered
2) when eating lots of food, heavy food or chinese/japanese/lebanese food i drink sprite or 7-up, 7-up preffer
3) when eating junk food or fast food i preffer to drink root beer, barks preffered but mug and A&W are excellent choices
4) when drinking with a light snack or on it's own, cream soda is supreme. jone's soda is by far the best followed by crush followed by anything else

will anyone care about this little list? maybe not but I think it's interesting (and why not? it's about me after all :P)
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: April 10, 2010, 01:49:12 am »

bah, those are corn syrup root beers. Try an IBC
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: April 10, 2010, 01:49:52 am »

You just reminded me of that girl with cancer who was going to make 1000 paper cranes and wish her cancer away.  She died at 900 something.

Now I'm sad.

Ew man, Pepsi's barely even cola.  It's so sweet it makes me sick.

Spoiler: As for cream soda (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: April 10, 2010, 01:52:51 am »

I just finished off Yahtzee's Trilby adventure games.

Man, 6 Days a Sacrifice was horrible. It was the only game that didn't actually frighten me all that much. I am unsatisfied. Greatly unsatisfied. It makes me sad.
Also often called Boowells.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 8167