Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6150 6151 [6152] 6153 6154 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465694 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #92265 on: April 23, 2015, 06:36:42 am »

This...thread...is...red.

[Soon afterwards, a local Frenchman has his face melted off by acid.]
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92266 on: April 23, 2015, 06:47:08 am »

Welp the KS is dead in the water it seems. We're third of the way in with barely a quarter of the goal achieved. And most of that was done in the first two days by people who knew about it beforehand. The alleged publisher has done pretty much fuck all in promoting the damn thing in any way.

Now, I don't personally care about it all that much since I didn't do a great amount of work for it and the pay wasn't all that high, but a friend who got me in has worked for over a year on the promise of a successful KS, it's really shitty to see it all go down because the other people in charge of the project don't give half as much fucks as her.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #92267 on: April 23, 2015, 07:00:51 am »

Welp the KS is dead in the water it seems. We're third of the way in with barely a quarter of the goal achieved. And most of that was done in the first two days by people who knew about it beforehand. The alleged publisher has done pretty much fuck all in promoting the damn thing in any way.

Now, I don't personally care about it all that much since I didn't do a great amount of work for it and the pay wasn't all that high, but a friend who got me in has worked for over a year on the promise of a successful KS, it's really shitty to see it all go down because the other people in charge of the project don't give half as much fucks as her.

I wouldn't lose heart immediately, you still have 21 days left.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92268 on: April 23, 2015, 07:18:44 am »

Oh I'm aware there's time left, but unless something changes that doesn't matter all that much. And I'm not sure anything will change.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #92269 on: April 23, 2015, 08:04:22 am »

Going to lose my job. It's either redundancy, or they might offer me a different worse paid job in the company.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #92270 on: April 23, 2015, 11:14:32 am »

Why is it soul-crushing?
Because it's long, slow, boring, and suuuucks. And it suuuuucks because I'm depressed. And I'm depressed because everything sucks. And everything sucks because I'm depressed. Etc.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92271 on: April 23, 2015, 11:29:40 am »

Making megaproject on community sandbox game.
Got everyone's consensus on what it should look like before I started laying the foundation. Thought it was a bit too ambitious, but went with it, as long as people helped.
Designated the outside boundaries by myself, everyone said that to save resources it should be made out of wood instead of stone. Didn't like that idea, but went with it.
Got to 3/4 designated and 1/4 built, all by myself, suddenly everyone starts building an identical, smaller, stone project next to it.
They don't get why I'm mad.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #92272 on: April 23, 2015, 11:54:14 am »

Why is it soul-crushing?
Because it's long, slow, boring, and suuuucks. And it suuuuucks because I'm depressed. And I'm depressed because everything sucks. And everything sucks because I'm depressed. Etc.

wait, no, better response to the "why" question.

Why is it not "soul-crushing" for everyone else? Why isn't everyone else utterly miserable and hating their lives at college? It sucks and I can see that it sucks but it seems no one else is aware of how much it sucks. I cannot fathom how people can be happy, rather than just unaware or distracted from how they're actually miserable. That's my outlook on life.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92273 on: April 23, 2015, 12:23:04 pm »

I cannot fathom how people can be happy, rather than just unaware or distracted from how they're actually miserable. That's my outlook on life.
I'm pretty sure distracted is how everyone copes with stuff. Then they're not miserable, because they're distracted with other stuff.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92274 on: April 23, 2015, 12:56:48 pm »

haha yeah most of the time I try not to think about the existential reality of the fact that I might not get to transfer to UGA and that so many things could go wrong because I get super introspective and I feel like I want to throw up

most of the time I just drink and work and play videogames and school until I don't really have time to think about it anymore

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #92275 on: April 23, 2015, 01:18:52 pm »

Wugh, I had thought that school beginning again would sort of alleviate my frustration, but it keeps going strong :/

There's multiple things to it. I am in the Belgian informatics olympiad, and the final is in a few weeks (May 2). I have done so little for this, and it's entirely unsalvageable. I didn't really expect to win anyway, but I just feel bad about not doing anything, but I can't find any motivation to be productive. Not even for school. I have something fairly important due june 1, and guess what, I don't have any motivation for that either. And the teacher says he will notice if you start on it too late (I have 13 pages so far out of 50 minimum). And it's not that it doesn't interest me, I really enjoyed the trainings even if I sort of suck at competetive programming. I still have two years to try, yet I still feel bad.
Besides my complete lack of motivation, I also just feel bad about how unsocial I am, and just feel bad about how bad I am in talking to girls and stuff :x
I do talk to a girl after school sometimes but I'm fairly sure she's not interested in me, yet I keep hoping while I really shouldn't. I am painfully aware of the whole "projecting characteristics on somebody" thing and just feel bad about it :/
I try to be social, but I don't really like parties and the only thing there really is to do in this town that interests me is a bunch of dudes who play magic every last saturday of the month (which i could not be at since november because of circumstances every time).

The worst part is that I don't have anybody to talk to.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #92276 on: April 23, 2015, 01:32:39 pm »

I'm open to messages, I have some school and girl frustrations as well. :P

One of which is housing. I've looked at some apartments in the town where my next school is. They start at $600 a month, and that's before even looking for ones close to the school.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92277 on: April 23, 2015, 01:36:50 pm »

I'm open to messages, I have some school and girl frustrations as well. :P

One of which is housing. I've looked at some apartments in the town where my next school is. They start at $600 a month, and that's before even looking for ones close to the school.

If you room with a few people, that number drops down to a much more managable amount.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #92278 on: April 23, 2015, 01:38:39 pm »

Why is it not "soul-crushing" for everyone else? Why isn't everyone else utterly miserable and hating their lives at college? It sucks and I can see that it sucks but it seems no one else is aware of how much it sucks. I cannot fathom how people can be happy, rather than just unaware or distracted from how they're actually miserable. That's my outlook on life.
Question - would discussing this just come off as a condescending way of ignoring the shittiness you have to deal with in favor of talking about how you should be happy or something? Because it is an interesting topic, and one I have some strong feelings about, but I can't figure out how to frame it in a way that would actually be helpful, as opposed to merely an expression of the perspective I have as a result of very different experiences. And I really don't want to be that jackass who assures people that life is actually really awesome and it's just their fault for not seeing it that way.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #92279 on: April 23, 2015, 01:47:37 pm »

Question - would discussing this just come off as a condescending way of ignoring the shittiness you have to deal with in favor of talking about how you should be happy or something? Because it is an interesting topic, and one I have some strong feelings about, but I can't figure out how to frame it in a way that would actually be helpful, as opposed to merely an expression of the perspective I have as a result of very different experiences. And I really don't want to be that jackass who assures people that life is actually really awesome and it's just their fault for not seeing it that way.
I don't think I'd have interpreted anything as "condescending" unless someone literally said "life isn't shitty, it's just your perspective is shitty and you're a dumbass" or something like that.

I mean, I get that I'm depressed and therefore my perspective is biased towards the negatives. It's hard to change that perspective when it's how I've thought for years though. And I'm prone to thinking like that and seeing negatives because I'm a perfectionist and always notice the negative "not good enough" things, especially in the things I do.
Pages: 1 ... 6150 6151 [6152] 6153 6154 ... 8167