Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2343 2344 [2345] 2346 2347 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9442001 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35160 on: August 14, 2011, 09:07:59 pm »

Augh stomach milk no bad

Also, jegus, this game is preeeeetty long.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35161 on: August 14, 2011, 09:09:13 pm »

Oh yeah, and no Chrono Cross tonight. ENJOY YOUR LEAD, VECTOR. (... unless you somehow hadn't gotten into Fort Dragonia ahead of me despite the fact that I'm taking the shortest route I know of, which basically involves punching any side quests in the face and charging blindly ahead into danger I'm specifically warned of. Fuck you, Water Dragon, I don't need your breath. I'll do just fine starting every battle at 1 hp, thanks)

And yes, it is.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:13:07 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35162 on: August 14, 2011, 09:11:14 pm »

I suddenly fear that I've grown completely dependent on the Internet. There's a power outage, and my first response is to drive across town to the local university and get on one of THEIR computers to look up the number to call and then kill time until the power's back at my house, because there's nothing to do and it's dark; we've no candles or flashlights, so I can't even read.

So yeah, now I am using the Internet as a medium to complain about my dependency on the Internet. That's some overwhelming hypocrisy there.
Just because you have an internet hobby doesn't mean you're dependent. Sometimes people just really want to be on the internet.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35163 on: August 14, 2011, 09:13:34 pm »

ENJOY YOUR LEAD, VECTOR.

Oh, I will :D

I just want another heavy-powered character to join, so that I can stop dinking at the enemy with darts =/  Serge does as much damage as the ladies put together, thanks to his power-up items.  I just hope there's enough for everyone to get the upping they need.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35164 on: August 14, 2011, 09:16:31 pm »

I suddenly fear that I've grown completely dependent on the Internet. There's a power outage, and my first response is to drive across town to the local university and get on one of THEIR computers to look up the number to call and then kill time until the power's back at my house, because there's nothing to do and it's dark; we've no candles or flashlights, so I can't even read.

So yeah, now I am using the Internet as a medium to complain about my dependency on the Internet. That's some overwhelming hypocrisy there.
Just because you have an internet hobby doesn't mean you're dependent. Sometimes people just really want to be on the internet.
That's true, but what gets me is that I could not devise any alternatives. Maybe it's not so much the Internet, but I've just realized how completely at a loss I am for something to do without electricity.

EDIT: @Vector, yeah, I'm not actually sure who else joins before, um, stuff. Maybe Greco? I'll not tell you any more if you don't know who that is and don't want any help, and I'm not sure if he's what you're looking for.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35165 on: August 14, 2011, 09:22:10 pm »

I hear that Karsh joins.

Karsh is the man for the job, I tell you.  Yes he is.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35166 on: August 14, 2011, 09:24:06 pm »

I'd say to Bauglir: Invest in candles. We lose the power an awful lot around here, and when you have a ridiculous amount of candles and some really fun board games and books, it's certainly and improvement.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35167 on: August 14, 2011, 09:32:04 pm »

Welp, I think I just made things worse.

Now on start I will be asked to chose between two identical choices for OS, both ofnwhich will lead to the windows welcome screen with my USB devices nonfunctioning, even in safe mode. There isn't much else I can do without ruining the data I have on the Drive.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35168 on: August 14, 2011, 09:35:39 pm »

There is one bright side to all this. You probably can't do any more damage short of throwing your hard drive onto an electromagnet, so all other options are now without consequence.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35169 on: August 14, 2011, 09:38:37 pm »

*sigh*

About to go into the fire place with a white mage and two black magi.

Why?  Because I don't think actual water magi will be able to cast as well as Guile with a Waterelement thing tacked on.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35170 on: August 14, 2011, 09:42:08 pm »

I mean, I could theoretically ask a friend with a pc to slave my hard drive to theirs, copy over the files, then mess with stuff. Or search some more for either a writable disk or another USB flash drive so I can mess with Linux again. But these options are either time consuming or require social contact, so they are not terribly appealing.

One option that occurs to me now is using my dads laptop, but he is paranoid to hell about downloading things from the web so I would not be able to get Linux from there. Berg.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35171 on: August 14, 2011, 09:43:17 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Listen Truean, I know you really don't want to have to consider this, but if she's letting the kid starve you need to call child services.

Fuck.

I've repeatedly been asked why I post questions (business, ethical, etc) "like that on a video game forum." My inherent incompleteness, doesn't allow me to see everything. Here, my pride, my attachment ... obscures my sight and objectivity. Now, there's too much I don't know and at stake in too little time for my personal failings.

So yeah, sit down with her--like Solifuge said--and see exactly what's wrong, and if she won't, scout situation with P.I. to see if they're at least getting food somewhere, call in outside objective attorney or social worker I trust.... If she has no food, I wonder how long it will be until she has no apartment....

If she's just really hit hard financial times, I'll soften the blow--which will hit whether she faces it or not--as much as possible. If that's the case, I can make sure she is given shelter and food. I really hope the cynical side of me is wrong, and that this isn't drugs or something. I could never conceive of her doing that, which is exactly why I can't be objective here. I really don't like where this is headed....

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Truean

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35172 on: August 14, 2011, 09:52:42 pm »

*sigh*

About to go into the fire place with a white mage and two black magi.

Why?  Because I don't think actual water magi will be able to cast as well as Guile with a Waterelement thing tacked on.

Because this is the only sad I feel competent to address, there's a hidden advantage here. Blues take more damage from red attacks, and (in my experience) the blues you're likely to have access to right now are pretty fragile. Your own damage output may be a bit lower, but you'll have a wider window of opportunity in which to apply healing before that GODDAMN DRAGOON TAKES 3 FUCKING TURNS IN A ROW THAT ASSHAT.

That... might not happen to you. That Dragoon might not be there in your path; I strongly suspect he was a meat wall intended to tell me to go do what I was supposed to.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and I will get candles when I can. I realized I could start a fire, actually, since we have a place for that, but my mother figured it was too hot out to do that, and she's probably right. So I left again.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:55:27 pm by Bauglir »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35173 on: August 14, 2011, 10:03:23 pm »

Well, since I have two black magi loaded with black and blue (one with swap-element black, the other with swap-element blue, to be used on the enemy and oneself, respectively) and my white mage loaded with a RIDICULOUS number of the usual overpowered white spells, I guess I'm in pretty good territory!

(Just checked, and yeah, Guile does way more damage than anyone should legally be able to)

It's just a bit of a shame that I don't have anyone good in blue, yellow, or green =/  Guess I need to wait for later in the game.

I'm generally having fun with this game now despite the sort of convoluted "hey, what are we even doing here" plot, but I'm a bit worried about the leveling system.  It doesn't seem like it's very kind to swapping party members out.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35174 on: August 14, 2011, 10:07:08 pm »

I think that swapped-out characters still get the boss-granted stars, and associated bonuses, but I'm not positive on that. They definitely lose out on the minor bonuses from frequent combat, but at the worst they still are passable if you need them; they just might not be the curbstomping deathmongers that your main party is. Glad you're having fun, though.

EDIT: WHY DID I NEVER THINK OF USING TURN<COLOR> ELEMENTS ON MYSELF.
Pages: 1 ... 2343 2344 [2345] 2346 2347 ... 8167