Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2342 2343 [2344] 2345 2346 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9442198 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35145 on: August 14, 2011, 03:58:39 pm »

Oh Public School System, you bigoted moron you. I try really, really hard not to get down about the world, but the world isn't making it very easy.

I notice a lot of that was in Texas. Which just embodies the state motto: "Don't mess with Texas. Seriously. We'll FUCK you up. And your kids."

As a Texan who was given a police citation twice for fighting in school, it kinda miffs me that they just say "Texas and other states".  We're not the only fucked up place y'know.  Learning that since the year I graduated, there've been 4000 to 6000 students written crap, and even the police say it's a pointless waste of time exactly as they did in my day (oh fuck me, I'm actually old enough to say that), makes me want to punch someone.  Which I guess was the problem in the first place, which wasn't cured by the policy in question.

I'm in a mobius strip of indignity right now, and I'm not even sure who I'm mad at.  I will say though, the jumpsuit one makes me chuckle.  In my middle school, there was a brief rash of people (the usual suspects, as it were) wearing fake prison uniforms as a fashion statement.  How that, in itself, didn't violate a dress code I don't know, but my districts always had some ironically lax dress codes.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35146 on: August 14, 2011, 04:01:06 pm »

I'm in a mobius strip of indignity right now, and I'm not even sure who I'm mad at.
Why good sir, I do believe you are mad at the douche bag in charge who filled the education board with right wing extremists.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35147 on: August 14, 2011, 04:02:42 pm »

Totally unrelated but D:

That was myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cookie!!! ;-;
*Hugs*

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35148 on: August 14, 2011, 04:30:16 pm »

I better upgrade that anxiety from getting to me to making me freak the fuck out. I'm calm now but the way I delt with it was pretty bad. *sigh* :(
My personality profile.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35149 on: August 14, 2011, 04:57:23 pm »

LITTLE DWARVEN BASTARDS
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35150 on: August 14, 2011, 05:02:33 pm »

I just wish there was another cookie for me to eat...  :'(

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #35151 on: August 14, 2011, 05:14:44 pm »

LITTLE DWARVEN BASTARDS

Build a replica of the temple of doom, sacrifice unbelieving dwarves to kali.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35152 on: August 14, 2011, 05:23:18 pm »

LITTLE DWARVEN BASTARDS

Build a replica of the temple of doom, sacrifice unbelieving dwarves to kali.

Alas, Chrono Cross does not support construction activities. This is the one game that makes me rage in its dwarves' general directions.

Also, I recently learned that the person I thought I got to sign up for this forum didn't realize I was talking about Bay12, and signed up for an account at a different forum altogether. The error has been corrected, but I cannot say whether she still cares enough. :(

EDIT: For one thing, they're clearly GNOMES.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35153 on: August 14, 2011, 05:28:35 pm »

Airplane flight was delayed due to Air Traffic Control. I'll be in this airport for 3 more hours. My connection will also either be:
a.) Late as well, and I can make it.
or
b.) Leave without me. I have a backup flight...that leaves at 9AM TOMORROW MORNING.

My parents offered to come pick me up, but they're still 4 hours away (1 hour flight), and they won't come until I know I missed my connecting flight. Blah. The next airport had better have free wi-fi.

Update: My flight was late, now I don't have to spend the night at the airport. Huzzah!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #35154 on: August 14, 2011, 07:25:20 pm »

A friend of mine has no money for food and refuses to let me pay for it....

An envelope with cash in it "mysteriously" appeared where she found it. She's still waiting the 30 day period to check and see if anyone lost it.... I was afraid of that and that's why the envelope is a weird shade of brown with some markings on it. Just take the money you amazingly ethical but stubborn fool....

God Damn it, she has a kid.... God fucking damn it.... The county is being especially great assholes and won't do shit for her.  Budget problems my ass, the food assistance program was created to deal with people's budget problems especially when times were terrible. You hack.... The whole thing makes me want to throw up....

Hello again feelings of personal failure and inability to help, make yourself comfortable in all the old familiar places....

I just heard a knock at my door, answered it, found no one there, but found the envelope with all the money inside.... ??? How the hell did she know? She's probably pissed off at me now....

Fuck.... Fuuuuuuuck! God damn this straight to hell none of this makes any sense at all! You were so nice to me in school and this shouldn't have happened to you and I can help but you're too fucking proud? Or am I just not smart enough to see how....

Start inviting her out to dinner.  And lunch.  And brunch.  All the time.  That's friendly and helpful, hopefully.

I appreciate the advice, truly, but she's not going to let me....

She won't talk to me; says I lied to her and insulted her intelligence. Did I? [Sigh] Yeah I guess I lied. Screw it, I lied. I confess I absolutely did lie.... I ... shit ... shit ...I never meant to insult her intelligence.

Do the ends justify the means? I can't look at a mother and child without food whom I have know personally for years and do nothing when I have the means to remedy it. What am I supposed to do, let her and the kid fucking starve? Why? Am I way out of line thinking she's just being stubborn? I'm seriously worried where/if they're getting food. It's not like she hasn't helped me before and I can't figure this shit out.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35155 on: August 14, 2011, 07:57:09 pm »

There's that whole "You can lead a horse to water..." saying, and it's true. You can't force someone to accept your help, no matter how hard you try. You can, however, try to explain yourself and your reasoning for wanting to help, and hope that they decide to agree with you.

I can't say, since I don't really know the people involved, but by your account, your friend sounds like she's being incredibly self-destructive right now; not only is she refusing much-needed aid out of stubborn pride, she is also attacking you for your offer of help. Explain why you felt you needed to try to sneakily give her money, and how her lashing out at a helping hand isn't going to solve her problems any more than sitting and suffering through them alone.

Explain yourself to her; tell her how you care too much about them to watch them go through this hardship, when you actively want and are able to help them, comfortably... that accepting the help of others isn't a sign of weakness. If she's the sort of person I suspect she is, she would do that sort of thing for someone else in a heartbeat, so why does it make sense to refuse it the other way around? It's unfair to people who care about her, and to herself and her child, to be this self-destructive.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:58:46 pm by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35156 on: August 14, 2011, 07:59:16 pm »

For some reason, I really, really, really don't feel like playing Mafia.

I still have to go make a bunch of posts, though.  Three full game-rereads due to being busy with my German course.  Faugh.

Definitely got to make sure I'm not playing anything during the school year.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35157 on: August 14, 2011, 08:04:24 pm »

Listen Truean, I know you really don't want to have to consider this, but if she's letting the kid starve you need to call child services.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #35158 on: August 14, 2011, 08:45:49 pm »

I just had one of those moments that makes me feel totally cracked.

Sometimes I wonder where I messed up so badly to get me in this situation, to end up like this. No one deserves to go through this on a near daily basis.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35159 on: August 14, 2011, 09:05:47 pm »

I suddenly fear that I've grown completely dependent on the Internet. There's a power outage, and my first response is to drive across town to the local university and get on one of THEIR computers to look up the number to call and then kill time until the power's back at my house, because there's nothing to do and it's dark; we've no candles or flashlights, so I can't even read.

So yeah, now I am using the Internet as a medium to complain about my dependency on the Internet. That's some overwhelming hypocrisy there.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 2342 2343 [2344] 2345 2346 ... 8167