Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7508 7509 [7510] 7511 7512 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9529935 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112635 on: March 14, 2018, 09:47:59 am »

I'll bet that he died of something other than ALS

Possibly a complication related to it, but yes, he was a heck of a survivor with the disease.

I'm surprised Google doodle doesn't have something to honor him, instead it's anniversary of Pi day (whatever the heck that is).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:49:39 am by smjjames »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #112636 on: March 14, 2018, 09:59:59 am »

Pi=3.14
March 14= 3/14

Hence Pi Day (Unless you subscribe to the date/month method)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112637 on: March 14, 2018, 12:02:57 pm »

Not at all his death raises the statistical average of IQ. We all just got a little bit smarter.
His intelligence was above average, thus his death brought the average down a little, meaning we are all now a bit smarter when compared with the average human being.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112638 on: March 14, 2018, 12:04:18 pm »

I'll bet that he died of something other than ALS

Possibly a complication related to it, but yes, he was a heck of a survivor with the disease.

I'm surprised Google doodle doesn't have something to honor him, instead it's anniversary of Pi day (whatever the heck that is).

It's a bit hard to make a Google doodle a day in advance.  :D They'll probably make one soon enough.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #112639 on: March 14, 2018, 04:03:18 pm »

Not at all his death raises the statistical average of IQ. We all just got a little bit smarter.
His intelligence was above average, thus his death brought the average down a little, meaning we are all now a bit smarter when compared with the average human being.
Quote from: Stephen Hawking
People who boast about their IQs are losers.
(He never took an IQ test)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112640 on: March 14, 2018, 04:10:23 pm »

My statement isn't made invalid by the fact that he never took an IQ test; he was of above-average intelligence anyway.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #112641 on: March 14, 2018, 05:12:02 pm »

My point was that I think scriver is making a joke
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112642 on: March 14, 2018, 10:47:14 pm »

I think the joke is suppose to be that the IQ test holds 100 as "average" which means when you have 1 very smart person, by definition everyone else has to be slightly lower to make up for them, since on the whole, everyone averages out to 100, so when the smart person dies, the rest of the group actually goes up in IQ points since they no longer have to make up for someone so far above the bell curve.

Consider 5 people, they have an average IQ of 100, but one has an IQ of 200, that means the other four have an IQ of 75. Take the person with the 200 out of the pool, but still everyone has an IQ average of 100, suddenly everyone's gained 25 points of IQ.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112643 on: March 14, 2018, 10:52:38 pm »

I get the statistics joke, but I'm pretty sure that's not how bell curves work.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112644 on: March 15, 2018, 12:33:48 am »

I think the joke is suppose to be that the IQ test holds 100 as "average" which means when you have 1 very smart person, by definition everyone else has to be slightly lower to make up for them, since on the whole, everyone averages out to 100, so when the smart person dies, the rest of the group actually goes up in IQ points since they no longer have to make up for someone so far above the bell curve.

Consider 5 people, they have an average IQ of 100, but one has an IQ of 200, that means the other four have an IQ of 75. Take the person with the 200 out of the pool, but still everyone has an IQ average of 100, suddenly everyone's gained 25 points of IQ.

That's actually exactly what I was saying. By taking the 200 IQ person out of the pool you're lowering the average intelligence (i.e. intelligence that corresponds to an IQ score of 100) to what in the original pool corresponded to 75 IQ. By lowering the average, you're increasing everyone's intelligence when compared with the average, thus giving everyone a higher IQ.

I get the statistics joke, but I'm pretty sure that's not how bell curves work.

These statements are valid for any distribution, including bell curves. You could give 7 billion people an IQ of 100.00000..01 and one person an IQ of 1, and it would still work.

A common misconception (which you may or may not have fallen for) is that IQ is an absolute value -- it actually represents someone's intelligence relative to other people of their age, therefore the average IQ is always 100.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112645 on: March 15, 2018, 12:54:06 am »

My statement isn't made invalid by the fact that he never took an IQ test; he was of above-average intelligence anyway.
But can you prove it?~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #112646 on: March 15, 2018, 12:56:29 am »

Yess
Love, scriver~

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112647 on: March 15, 2018, 01:00:23 am »

But can you prove it?~
Can you prove that anyone that took an IQ test didn't actually cheat on the answers?

Can you prove that the Roswell incident is fake?

Can you prove that you're not actually a superintelligent chimpanzee in the Chicago Zoo that happens to get access to a computer several times each day?

We can't really prove anything in real life like we can in mathematics, but we can find evidence to support or refute claims.  :P

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #112648 on: March 15, 2018, 01:58:57 am »

"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #112649 on: March 15, 2018, 02:17:52 am »

A common misconception is that people actually think IQ means jackshit. https://discordemoji.com/assets/emoji/anibloblaugh.gif

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7508 7509 [7510] 7511 7512 ... 8169