Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7509 7510 [7511] 7512 7513 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9529887 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112650 on: March 15, 2018, 02:35:01 am »

IQ is just a measure of how well you can internally visualize data (spacial IQ), and how well you can discern patterns in a provided set.

That's all.  Trying to extrapolate more complex things from that measurement is as absurd a prospect as it sounds. Does not stop people from trying though.

Computers excel at those tasks. Would you call today's computers "Highly intelligent"?  No? Why not?

For the same reasons you would exclude computers from "highly intelligent", you should exclude high IQ scores. Intelligence is much more than just this ability.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112651 on: March 15, 2018, 06:12:15 pm »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/syrian-activist-behind-iamstillalive-campaign-dies-airstrike-article-1.3874683
Friendly cat person survivor behind #IAmStillAlive is no longer a survivor, he got killed by Syrian/Russian airstrikes yesterday.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112652 on: March 16, 2018, 05:30:53 am »

Wow that sucks on several levels.

In all his wisdom our dear leader started to rationate electric power on 4 states, more soon to follow. You have to understand that money is a temptation, and using it for patching up the electric grid and powerplants is not as necessary as storing it on some offshore banks accounts.

The peculiar thing is that instead of cutting power for x amount of time, we only get power for some amount of time, like 2 hours from 2 am to 4 am. What do you say comrade, do you like capitalist luxuries like sleeping after a hard day of work? Don't be a free market pig, stay awake to do anything electricity related at those hours. And don't even start complaining on your food spoiling in your fridges, spare food and fridges are for American Devils, and you sure will get a box worth of 3 days of food each month, as long you are literally a card carrying member of the party of course.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112653 on: March 16, 2018, 09:21:44 am »

Sounds like generators are going to become a hot commodity on the black market, though the economy is already shit.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112654 on: March 16, 2018, 11:40:43 am »

They already are. Most of those publications are missing 3 to 6 zeroes at the right (to avoid paying higher commissions), some others are outright in dollars. Average price is around 120 millions for a small plant, a salary is now around one million (including food stamp money which compromise the majority of it), and this small plants won't do a 24/7, they are for running a couple hours per day tops. At least fuel is still dirt cheap.

We had a even acuter electrical crisis in 2016, and before that in 2007~2008.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:42:21 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112655 on: March 16, 2018, 04:33:48 pm »

What I'm getting from this conversation is that the more smart people I kill, the smarter I become.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112656 on: March 16, 2018, 05:40:11 pm »

Bay12: making the world a smarter place.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112657 on: March 16, 2018, 11:29:49 pm »

I finally got around to playing Wolfenstein, and it runs like utter garbage even though I meet and exceed the minimum specs. Happens mostly independent of my settings too, so something's up here, but damned if I know what it is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112658 on: March 16, 2018, 11:31:15 pm »

New Order? 

IIRC, it wants nVidia?  Or at least, it played great on my nvidia rig. 

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112659 on: March 16, 2018, 11:34:44 pm »

New Order needs a texture cache folder somewhere and occasionally fails to create it. I forgot exactly what the folder should be called, though, and where exactly it is supposed to go. Once you create it (good luck), lag should drop down significantly.

Unless you're talking about the new one, in that case, it's just a poorly optimized disappointment.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #112660 on: March 17, 2018, 01:01:56 pm »

I finally got around to playing Wolfenstein, and it runs like utter garbage even though I meet and exceed the minimum specs. Happens mostly independent of my settings too, so something's up here, but damned if I know what it is.
You're probably doing it wrong cause I get good performance out of it. See for yourself
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112661 on: March 17, 2018, 01:04:17 pm »

Lies. You just got that off of google or something. ;P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112662 on: March 17, 2018, 01:12:06 pm »

I see you're still having the glitch where many surface textures are blank or... problematic. I recommend the Pathways Into Darkness "patch". It adds story, inventory, and ceilings! Requires a mac emulator though, like basilisk2.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112663 on: March 17, 2018, 04:05:24 pm »

Well, creating the cache file got it through the purity test scene where it was dying, but general performance is still garbage. Disabling vsync helped a little, but changing the numthreads didn't. I'm seeing in console that the game is constantly erroring on the number of permittted AI actors.

Going to try and get GeForce working again to check the drivers, and verify file integrity with steam.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112664 on: March 17, 2018, 04:06:39 pm »

Should report him for showing us a picture of Hitler and swastikas and that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 7509 7510 [7511] 7512 7513 ... 8169